Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Work and Careers

advertisement

Old 06-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
17 hugs
given
Default Bringing up sensitive issue with management

So, something has had me frustrated at work. Basically my department researches/prepares write-ups about four different investment sectors. We are judged on numeric production (updates and new projects), although two sectors are much more rote, cutting/pasting information from press releases and new projects that you can research once and then cut and paste into 10-20 different templates. My sector and one other are much more involved. Nearly every project is distinct so we can't copy and paste and we have to do a lot of searching on government websites, looking through huge government contracts (often poorly scanned so you can't search), etc.

I was talking to the woman who does the other, more complicated sector today. She and I are very stressed this month because the list of projects we have been designed to create is garbage, things with very little information available and where calling the relevant government agency isn't likely to get results because they aren't helpful. So we are both behind on our stats.

We really want to find a way to bring up the fact that there should be a different treatment of the sectors as far as production, but our boss is kind of unapproachable. She has in the past said she thinks the minimums are fair, despite the differences. At the same time, the other sectors also are always congratulated for their higher production, when we'd probably have the same if we could just cut and paste most of the day.

We discussed the two of us seeing if we can meet with our boss the next time I am in the office. I hate doing this kind of thing, but I really think it needs to be brought up.

I guess I'm just looking for a bit of moral support and advice from people who have been in a similar situation.
rechu is online now   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
10.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Bringing up sensitive issue with management

Well... you posted this a while back. (I'm sorry you're only now receiving your first reply.) So perhaps the meeting has already occurred. If so, hopefully it went well. I'm not sure what I could offer in the way of advice anyway. I think the main things are, first of all, be as specific as possible & have as much data as possible to back up your argument. And, second, stay focused on the concern at hand. Avoid allowing the discussion to veer of onto tangents. It's easy for something like this to deteriorate into a general gripe session. I'd have to say this sort of thing never really produced much of anything in the way of positive results for me. But, hopefully your experience was, or will be, better.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
17 hugs
given
Default Re: Bringing up sensitive issue with management

Thanks for answering. I haven't gone into the office, so we haven't met with her yet. My co-worker was asking me today if I can try to find a time in the next few weeks to come in.

The stats for June came out and for new projects they were low, if you average over 4 people, they are about half what we are supposed to do. My production was about 1/3 of that total, so better than average. It gives me the impression that it's not just the two of us that are having issues.

I did the calculation and under the current production minimums, a new project in theory should take 1.6 times the amount of an update, which doesn't compute with me. Creating a new project is really more like 2-3 times the work for those of us who aren't able to just cut and paste, and can be more if it is something already advanced, since you have to find all the historical information and input it with sources. Plus in some sectors like both of ours, we often have to add something called risk analysis, which is time consuming.

An update is just a recent news item, looking over everything and making any changes that might be required by the news item. It's way less work, so I think we need to focus on that.

The worst thing is that they want to base incentives/potential bonuses production, so the same people with the easier work assignments are always going to benefit if things stay this way.

Last edited by rechu; 07-03-2018 at 08:52 AM..
Hugs from:
Old 07-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
17 hugs
given

Well, this sucks. I got an email that we need to discuss my low production last month. The same for the other woman, we'll call her F, (hers was a bit worse). F thinks for now we should each make the same case individually, as we have the same point of view, and hopefully that will make the point. Unfortunately, our boss is kind of hard to approach and who knows if she might take both of us together as an attack. If not we'll have to try together.

The thing is that the whole team was below the goal on new projects - even the cut and paste people. Between she and I we did over half the total, so the other two people clearly had low figures as well. It makes us wonder why does our boss not even seem to be entertaining the thought that the goal is not realistic and instead blaming everything on us?

We went over what we both are going to say individually. I did a little write-up. Both of us were out of work for a while before we found this job, and aren't looking forward to job hunting again, so hopefully we can make our case for a more reasonable goal.

If they fire both of us, they lose the two most senior people on the team. So many people have been absolute disasters, making a mess of things and didn't work out. They should be happy to have people who know what they are doing. We know our industries, our work is good quality, it's just that quality research takes time, and that is why it is hard to meet the production targets they want.

The target for updates was originally developed by that worthless efficiency expert who came from the banking industry, so he had no idea about editorial work nor did he want to learn. I'm not sure who decided that 80 updates was equivalent to 50 new write-ups; when my boss announced it she said she was open to feedback, but in practice it hasn't played out that way. She has insisted it's reasonable in team meetings.

Last edited by rechu; 07-03-2018 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: spacing problem
Old 07-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
17 hugs
given

Well, I guess no one seems to care, but I do have an update. F met with our boss yesterday and it went terribly. There was no attempt to understand her points by our boss, she was just told make the numbers or youíre out. Poor thing is really stressed.

I work from home, and my boss hasnít gotten in touch to schedule a time to talk. I am kind of thinking that she may ease up on me for the short-term at least. The other woman that shared the sector I work with is quitting effective tomorrow. Her replacement just started and may not work out. Even if she does last, she wonít be fully functional for 3-4 months. So in a way they need me around for a while. I sort of think that is why she hasnít spoken to me or issued an ultimatum.

I really wonder what is behind it at all, when I started it was much more relaxed. There was sort of an expectation for productivity, which was lower, but no threats of firing. Maybe upper management started it.

The thing is that since this was implemented, turnover (already high) has increased, so you always have people that are being trained/not fully up to speed/prone to mistakes on the team. I have noticed that other departments do not have anywhere near the level of turnover as ours. To me it would make more sense to stick with the people that are trained, even with a slightly lower output than desired, than to have a revolving door, which pretty much guarantees that there are people not fully up to speed all the time. Plus, the error rate with new people is higher and not all the errors get caught by our editors.

So, here I am, waiting, with a knot in my stomach.

On the one hand, I wonít be so bad off if I get fired between severance, vacation time and unemployment I would get over three months of pay if I were let go. Plus, I have income from freelance work. My husband and I can get by on his income okay. However, we are in a situation where we need to buy a house soon and me having a work contract and having held the job for over a year will help the mortgage application. Even when I find a new job, I would have to wait a year for my income would count to our application.

Last edited by rechu; 07-05-2018 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: paragraph format
Old 07-06-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
17 hugs
given

imagine sheís feeling like a victim because people keep leaving, instead of realizing why people would want to leave. Interestingly, I have not heard a peep out of her wanting to have a conversation about my performance.

I have a mid-term strategy in mind is to stick it out for now and apply for an internal transfer, there are areas in my wider department I would be well qualified for and I seem to have a good rapport with the people that do the hiring. In general it is a decent company for this country, good fringe benefits and taking another job in the same company wonít negatively impact a mortgage application.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
Perpetually Pondering
Community Liaison Leader
Community Liaison

healingme4me Needs a little reading lamp.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
6,407 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hopefully your talk with your bosses goes better than your coworker?
healingme4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
Kneazle has no updates.

Can you discuss the problem with your skip-level manager? Some times the lowest level boss doesn't have the power to do much so they inflexibly demand whatever they're told their employees have to do. A really good manager will advocate for their employees and try to insulate them from unreasonable demands by upper management, but too often managers have little training and inadequate skills.
Kneazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #9

Sisabel always trying...

My Mood:

163 hugs
given

Iím sorry you havenít had much feedback on this. Iíve been away for a while... Too tired at the end of the work day to do much. Honestly... I think that you sound very diligent in your work and very intuitive - youíre ahead of everybody else probably... and I have found that bites me in the butt.... I think you should put your energy into taking care of yourself as best you can and limit what you go to your boss about. Sounds like your boss doesnít care who does what and she just wants it done. Itís the same at my work so I keep many of my observations to myself and try to do the best job I can. Good luck. 🍀
Sisabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
17 hugs
given

I'm on my phone and can't edit, but the first part of the text got cut off. Basically, yet another person quit after only 6 months. So, for the time being, I don't think she's in much of a position to fire either F or me. I wonder if her bosses are eventually going to question all the turnover!
"Thanks for this!" says: