Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Work and Careers



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #221
Desert Kitty hates titles
 
nonightowl's Avatar
nonightowl wonders if anyone cares about her updates
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Location: Southwest U.S...on the dark side of the moon
Posts: 3,681
My Mood:

8 yr Member
4,090 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Angry Re: Interviewing Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
You know what, consider the treatment and hoops they are asking you to jump through a sign for what it will be like to work for them.

I'm not saying don't do it, but I often ignore these red flags when companies behave this way. If it feels like overkill, imagine how that will translate to working for them?
If I had listened to my gut feeling about that s h i t company, I never would have gone through such hell that I posted down below. I dismissed it as post-traumatic stress, since it has happened to me before. I wanted to believe something good was finally happening. So wrong, so wrong....again.

I've had, in the past, terrible interviews that led to a decent job. It was certainly less painful than that hour or so of answering questions with a "good lie". (BS)


Quote:
Originally Posted by justafriend306 View Post
It's a game - and you have to want to play it well to win. That means telling them what they want to hear and not what you feel.
Yes, it is a game: A BS game. Someone said something about being good at "bs-ing", but I can't find it and don't have time to look. But that's what it is: BS-ing. I've never been good at that. It's not the same as a boldfaced lie, and I've never been good at that either. Not that I make it a habit of lying, as I don't like/want to do it. But even in a case of a white lie, I believe people can tell. It's like looking through a pane of glass, I'm so transparent.

I know this is a fantasy, but I wish we could all be honest--both the interviewer and candidate. It would be a win-win I think. I mean how many people leave a job cause of a "positive" reason??? But you have to give one. The place might have been h e l l, but you "can't" say that. What BS.

Who wants to repeat that experience? Nobody, but you come up with a "good lie" you think they want to hear. Maybe the only reason you're leaving is the boss is a *****. But hey, give a GOOD, POSITIVE reason. "Never bad mouth a former employer."

And companies know people read up on what to say/not to say in an interview. So it's all so phony. You have to decipher what they are really asking you.
__________________
You can call me "owl" for short or "Black Cat" since that's my avatar. I'm either...a "chameleon"



"Darn...What chapter was that in?"
nonightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 01-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #222
Magnate
 
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve is not thrilled
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 2,742 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,331 hugs
given
Default Re: Interviewing Sucks

I know what you mean -- I have to BS my way through certain aspects of interviews and questions they ask about my experience to make it look Iike I am doing more than I am currently. I also have to BS about the reasons why I left jobs. It would be great if we could just cut through all the crap and have truly candid conversations. Like in the Bridget Jones movie where she finally admits to one employer that she had to leave her job because she slept with her boss -- then they hired her! Of course, it's just a movie, but as an example.

And yes, best practice to follow your gut.
__________________
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."

~Bob Marley
golden_eve is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #223
Member
 
Deejay14's Avatar
Deejay14 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 178
My Mood:

7 hugs
given
Default Re: Interviewing Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_eve View Post
OMG -- You've GOT TO FREAKING BE KIDDING ME!

Just got an email back from this recruiter about my status for a high level position in my field. She says other candidates scored BETTER on their stupid personality test, so I am low on the totem pole for consideration. WTF?!?!?!

I HATE THESE DAMNED TESTS!!!!!!!!!!!

I am BEYOND LIVID RIGHT NOW. I am going to literally LOSE IT!!!!!!!

The NEXT time they do this, I am going to say NO THANKS & screw that.

I am so well qualified for this position -- it is so unfair that it comes down to a personality test vs. your resume, your qualifications, your successes, your interview and your references.

Edited to add: I wrote the recruiter and pulled myself out of the running. I told her I do not agree to a genuine match being boiled down to a personality test. Screw them.

I might think twice before I blow off a potential employer when you need a job so badly and you have been searching for so long.
__________________
WHEN YOU CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS,THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE.
Wayne Dyer
Deejay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #224
Magnate
 
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve is not thrilled
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 2,742 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,331 hugs
given
Default Re: Interviewing Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay14 View Post
I might think twice before I blow off a potential employer when you need a job so badly and you have been searching for so long.
Why? She told me there were better fitted candidates so I pulled out. Nothing wrong with that when the writing was on the wall for a rejection. Why waste my time and theirs. I disagree with you on that.
__________________
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."

~Bob Marley
golden_eve is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #225
Desert Kitty hates titles
 
nonightowl's Avatar
nonightowl wonders if anyone cares about her updates
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Location: Southwest U.S...on the dark side of the moon
Posts: 3,681
My Mood:

8 yr Member
4,090 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Angry Re: Interviewing Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_eve View Post
I know what you mean -- I have to BS my way through certain aspects of interviews and questions they ask about my experience to make it look Iike I am doing more than I am currently. I also have to BS about the reasons why I left jobs. It would be great if we could just cut through all the crap and have truly candid conversations. Like in the Bridget Jones movie where she finally admits to one employer that she had to leave her job because she slept with her boss -- then they hired her! Of course, it's just a movie, but as an example.

And yes, best practice to follow your gut.
Like those Bridget Jones movies, LOL. Yeah, if only we COULD be that honest....

In my opinion, BS-ing is a skill that not everyone can master, just like anything else. And practicing it may or may not make you better at it, LOL. Also, it seems to me that a fellow BS-er might be able to tell that you're BS-ing, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_eve View Post
Why? She told me there were better fitted candidates so I pulled out. Nothing wrong with that when the writing was on the wall for a rejection. Why waste my time and theirs. I disagree with you on that.
I agree with you. They already told you no so why prolong the pain? Along those lines, I don't agree with asking for feedback that people say to do. For one thing, they won't tell you. Just the usual BS about not being the "right fit". And even if they did, it's specific to THAT employer. It won't be applicable to others since the whole process is subjective and BS anyway. For crying outloud, they might reject someone simply because he/she looks like the interviewer's ex-spouse as an example.

But you have no way of knowing that....

I have a good friend who is great at his work but not with interviewing.

I've dealt with rude customer service people, and I wonder how they GOT the job. Well I guess they aced the INTERVIEW. But get them in the job, they are crap. And I wonder how people who don't speak English well work at a deli counter. I tried to ask this lady yesterday "WHAT are those yellow things in the salad?" All she could do was point to the sign. Yeah, I can see and READ it says "kale salad." But the kale was clearly obvious. After several times, I gave up and asked to taste a sample. If she understood me, she could have said, "Those are bell peppers" or whatever.

SIGH....
__________________
You can call me "owl" for short or "Black Cat" since that's my avatar. I'm either...a "chameleon"



"Darn...What chapter was that in?"
nonightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #226
Poohbah
ladytiger has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,009
My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Interviewing Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonightowl View Post
Like those Bridget Jones movies, LOL. Yeah, if only we COULD be that honest....

In my opinion, BS-ing is a skill that not everyone can master, just like anything else. And practicing it may or may not make you better at it, LOL. Also, it seems to me that a fellow BS-er might be able to tell that you're BS-ing, LOL.



I agree with you. They already told you no so why prolong the pain? Along those lines, I don't agree with asking for feedback that people say to do. For one thing, they won't tell you. Just the usual BS about not being the "right fit". And even if they did, it's specific to THAT employer. It won't be applicable to others since the whole process is subjective and BS anyway. For crying outloud, they might reject someone simply because he/she looks like the interviewer's ex-spouse as an example.

But you have no way of knowing that....

I have a good friend who is great at his work but not with interviewing.

I've dealt with rude customer service people, and I wonder how they GOT the job. Well I guess they aced the INTERVIEW. But get them in the job, they are crap. And I wonder how people who don't speak English well work at a deli counter. I tried to ask this lady yesterday "WHAT are those yellow things in the salad?" All she could do was point to the sign. Yeah, I can see and READ it says "kale salad." But the kale was clearly obvious. After several times, I gave up and asked to taste a sample. If she understood me, she could have said, "Those are bell peppers" or whatever.

SIGH....
Agreed. I asked for feedback from past jobs and I got some plus feedback from internal positions at my job. Employers don't have to tell u anything they need to fill positions and move on. I don't bother to ask for feedback anymore.
ladytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 01-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #227
Magnate
 
golden_eve's Avatar
golden_eve is not thrilled
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 2,742 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,331 hugs
given
Default Re: Interviewing Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonightowl View Post
Like those Bridget Jones movies, LOL. Yeah, if only we COULD be that honest....

In my opinion, BS-ing is a skill that not everyone can master, just like anything else. And practicing it may or may not make you better at it, LOL. Also, it seems to me that a fellow BS-er might be able to tell that you're BS-ing, LOL.


I agree with you. They already told you no so why prolong the pain? Along those lines, I don't agree with asking for feedback that people say to do. For one thing, they won't tell you. Just the usual BS about not being the "right fit". .
Yes, I think they can smell BS. Just as we can too on our end.

With this last company, they gave me specific feedback on one of the skills tests I failed. So I told them their instructions were not clear enough, LOL.

And yes, why prolong the pain, only to be rejected anyways?
__________________
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."

~Bob Marley
golden_eve is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #228
Awesoment
 
seesaw's Avatar
seesaw anxious
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,343 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

3 yr Member
376 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Interviewing Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_eve View Post
Yes, I think they can smell BS. Just as we can too on our end.

With this last company, they gave me specific feedback on one of the skills tests I failed. So I told them their instructions were not clear enough, LOL.

And yes, why prolong the pain, only to be rejected anyways?
I think I didn't used to be so savvy about smelling a company's BS until I got screwed over a couple of times. Now I'm much better at it. And I do a lot more research too. Since I work in the nonprofit sector, all the company's financials are public information, so I just pull them up and look at their financials. I can see what kind of debt they are in. I look up how much I can see about their staff and how many open positions that they have. I ask pointed questions. Like if they have a staff of 40 and have 6 positions open, I ask why so many positions open? I get normal turnover, but I want to sniff out the BS.

Since I work producing a revenue stream, I ask all sort of questions regarding that revenue stream and other revenues to get a full financial picture. I can tell when they aren't being truthful about an answer, because they don't give a REAL answer, just sort of side-step around it.

I also ask lots of questions about systems, policies, and procedures, because this will tell me a lot about how organized they are and how they do business. I ask how long other people on the team have been on the team. If I know their names, I look them up on LinkedIn to see how much experience they have so I know what I'm getting into.

I leave no stone unturned at this point, because I've been burned badly. But, the good news is that now I'm a consultant so many of these questions, while I ask them, don't matter as much. Because I am paid to come in and do a job, and then I leave. There's no long-term issues, like if I were hired full-time. I do the job successfully, they are happy, I am happy, and we're done. But I don't have to deal with a lot of the BS now.

Seesaw
__________________
What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]
Secondary Dx: OCPD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #229
Desert Kitty hates titles
 
nonightowl's Avatar
nonightowl wonders if anyone cares about her updates
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Location: Southwest U.S...on the dark side of the moon
Posts: 3,681
My Mood:

8 yr Member
4,090 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Angry Re: Interviewing Sucks

The "worst interview" I ever had wasn't really an interview. Technically it was, but it was literally less than a minute!!!


I had a nice phone interview with a woman who wanted me to come in. She had me sit down with her boss, or THE boss, or at least a guy would be my boss I guess.


I barely got comfortable in my chair when I was dismissed!! He just asked me one question about my schedule, and there were a couple of comments exchanged. The woman who did the phone interview was present but didn't say anything. Anyway, he said something like "If you will now excuse me..."


She must have felt bad for me because she showed me around. I thought this meant I got it, but I didn't.


I was so shocked that that "interview" was just a minute, I was literally speechless. I couldn't even say, "Is that IT????" It took me a LOT of prep time and I took 2 buses to get there as they have no parking in that area. Whatever you find is COSTLY and limited. I didn't need that stress on top of everything else!


I know it was less than 5 minutes on the premises total, because I ending up missing the bus home. If they had talked to me longer, even just 5 or 10 minutes, I would have caught the next one.


Emojis won't work now for some reason so I'll do this: &^%$*(#@ employers!!!!!!!
__________________
You can call me "owl" for short or "Black Cat" since that's my avatar. I'm either...a "chameleon"



"Darn...What chapter was that in?"
nonightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #230
Awesoment
 
seesaw's Avatar
seesaw anxious
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,343 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

3 yr Member
376 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Interviewing Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonightowl View Post
The "worst interview" I ever had wasn't really an interview. Technically it was, but it was literally less than a minute!!!


I had a nice phone interview with a woman who wanted me to come in. She had me sit down with her boss, or THE boss, or at least a guy would be my boss I guess.


I barely got comfortable in my chair when I was dismissed!! He just asked me one question about my schedule, and there were a couple of comments exchanged. The woman who did the phone interview was present but didn't say anything. Anyway, he said something like "If you will now excuse me..."


She must have felt bad for me because she showed me around. I thought this meant I got it, but I didn't.


I was so shocked that that "interview" was just a minute, I was literally speechless. I couldn't even say, "Is that IT????" It took me a LOT of prep time and I took 2 buses to get there as they have no parking in that area. Whatever you find is COSTLY and limited. I didn't need that stress on top of everything else!


I know it was less than 5 minutes on the premises total, because I ending up missing the bus home. If they had talked to me longer, even just 5 or 10 minutes, I would have caught the next one.


Emojis won't work now for some reason so I'll do this: &^%$*(#@ employers!!!!!!!
That reminds me of the first interview I did with my old employer. I had a phone interview with the HR person. Then they brought me up from out of town, and I had breakfast with the hiring manager, then an interview with the CEO, who didn't ask me anything about my skills or expertise, just chit chatted about the Artistic Director of a major company I worked for. And that was it. I drove 5 hours and stayed overnight for that interview...I was like, wth interview practice is this?

I didn't get the job at that point, but then, 4 months or so later, they called me and asked me to come up again for an interview, saying that they had restructured. They put me up in a hotel again. This time it was like a full day of interviews with various groups of people. And they asked actual questions. Apparently I go the highest score of any hiree on their scoring criteria, and I was offered a job almost immediately after I got home.

But that first interview, I was like, why did I waste my time if you weren't going to ask me any real questions?

Seesaw
__________________
What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]
Secondary Dx: OCPD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp


 
Helplines and Lifelines