advertisement
Unread 07-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
Poohbah

Steiner of Thule has no updates.

3 yr Member
40 hugs
given
Default Feel Unemployable and Stuck

I always feel this way and like I put myself off from wanting to apply to places because a lot of jobs are a far ways off and would require a big shift from where I am living but then even when I do apply I get no calls back.

I'm close to finishing my associates degree, i'm slow when it comes to getting my education but even then I feel like it doesn't matter how much education I get, that I will still be unemployable because I have a lot of large gaps in my history. Also the fact that I am awful at interviewing no matter how hard I try.

Everyone seems better than me and I'm slow at doing anything with my life. I have a hard time forcing myself to do anything with my life or keeping a normal schedule so I find working difficult yet I apply but get no calls back.

Feels hopeless overall. I am stuck. Just like the counselor seems to be telling me that I have to change something yet I can't seem able to out of fear.

I've gotten an interview but then I flopped I guess during it because of my poor social skills. I feel ashamed of myself as a person and my inability to gain income. Comes easy to other people it always feels like.

I don't know. I feel very broken because of my inability at 24, supposedly a prime time to work, to be working a normal job. Multiple jobs I did manage to get with no interview ended up having to leave after the first day because I guess I can't handle them at all.

Anime & Manga Enthusiasts
Steiner of Thule is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 07-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
Brasucasulu has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
11 hugs
given
Default Re: Feel Unemployable and Stuck

Just stay positive. Keep applying and will find the right job. Starting a new job is always hard, but one yiu get into the routine it will be alright.
Brasucasulu is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
BrokeTech has no updates.

My Mood:

13 hugs
given

Honestly, you have a lot of work to do to fix this problem. But the #1 thing you probably ought to do is work on the social issues that are holding you back. I, personally, feel that school/education does not help you get jobs. I'm one of the most educated people around, and it really has not helped my career and I left school and struggled tons to get a job, let alone a good one. I ended up doing jobs you could get without a degree. I know plenty of other people with college degrees and then some who currently have this issue or have had it in the past. To me, the money you're spending on school would be best spent on a therapist who can help you work on developing the skills you need to be better at interviews and on the job.

A far second after fixing the social issues would be fixing your resume to best deal with the gaps, taking a close look at what jobs you're applying for vs what you should be applying for, what kind of jobs are closer to where you are, etc, and then applying for work. And then get a degree if you actually need it for the kind of work you want to do.

Just my opinion.
BrokeTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
Poohbah

3 yr Member
40 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeTech View Post
Honestly, you have a lot of work to do to fix this problem. But the #1 thing you probably ought to do is work on the social issues that are holding you back. I, personally, feel that school/education does not help you get jobs. I'm one of the most educated people around, and it really has not helped my career and I left school and struggled tons to get a job, let alone a good one. I ended up doing jobs you could get without a degree. I know plenty of other people with college degrees and then some who currently have this issue or have had it in the past. To me, the money you're spending on school would be best spent on a therapist who can help you work on developing the skills you need to be better at interviews and on the job.

A far second after fixing the social issues would be fixing your resume to best deal with the gaps, taking a close look at what jobs you're applying for vs what you should be applying for, what kind of jobs are closer to where you are, etc, and then applying for work. And then get a degree if you actually need it for the kind of work you want to do.

Just my opinion.
I haven't spent any money really for my education due to financial aid, was actually making money from financial aid and I do think at least having an associate's should help. Would think it would but doesn't seem like it does like you say.

Always hearing about who you know and whatnot which is true. Though if I don't know anyone what am I supposed to do? I have no references really I can put down and if I do put down references I end up just putting down my therapist or something of that sort.

Not sure how I am supposed to explain the gaps except for saying I was dealing with health issues.I do see a counselor but just seems kind of useless and have troubles with regression. I don't pay for counseling since I get help from the county with that and its been years now so just seems like I can't fix myself.

I applied for disability and they also helped with the lawyers which did it for free and it sounded like I got it but i'm not sure yet. Sounded like it was confirmed though that I would be getting soon. I want to work. At least a little so I can have pride in myself.

Feels like I am looked down upon by everyone.

Hugs from:
Unread 07-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #5

QuixoticDeLaEternal has no updates.

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
My Mood:

16 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner of Thule View Post
Also the fact that I am awful at interviewing no matter how hard I try.
I recently read an article in a professional journal where they talked about interviewing. The author found that interviews aren't a reliable method of determining an interviewee's potential. They found that looking at data such as higher education courses taken, grades earned, GPA, etc. were better predictors of determining potential --the potential of earning X grade in the aforementioned consideration. In general, the author determined that an interviewer's "sense" that an interviewee would be a good fit for a position consistently fell short of other measurements(e.g. GPA).

But, I don't foresee many companies scrapping the traditional interview process. That being said, I'm generally awkward socially as I have social anxiety. So, I dedicate a lot of time to preparing for interviews. Going over potential questions and responses, etc. It's helped me out a lot in the past.
Unread 07-17-2017, 01:48 AM   #6
Grand Member

reb569 ??!!??

My Mood:

148 hugs
given

Quote:
Not sure how I am supposed to explain the gaps except for saying I was dealing with health issues.I do see a counselor but just seems kind of useless and have troubles with regression. I don't pay for counseling since I get help from the county with that and its been years now so just seems like I can't fix myself.
Were you do anything during the gaps that you could use? Were you helping a family member with anything?

Quote:
Always hearing about who you know and whatnot which is true. Though if I don't know anyone what am I supposed to do? I have no references really I can put down and if I do put down references I end up just putting down my therapist or something of that sort.
Are you in an area where any organizations are looking for volunteers? Food Banks? Fundraising organizations? Do some volunteer work and you may be able to use them as references. It also can work to get you back into the grove of dealing with people if you tend to self-isolate.

"I feel like an outsider, and I always will feel like one. Iíve always felt that I wasnít a member of any particular group."
~ Anne Rice
reb569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2017, 02:23 AM   #7
Magnate
The_little_didgee has no updates.

3 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner of Thule View Post
I feel very broken because of my inability at 24, supposedly a prime time to work, to be working a normal job. Multiple jobs I did manage to get with no interview ended up having to leave after the first day because I guess I can't handle them at all.

Are you applying for jobs that fit you and your interests or the other way around?

There is definitely hope. I had a horrible employment record, until I found work that fit my introverted and socially awkward personality, along with my interests and abilities.
Unread 07-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
Poohbah

3 yr Member
40 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb569 View Post
Were you do anything during the gaps that you could use? Were you helping a family member with anything?
No, I didn't leave the house for 4 years during that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_little_didgee View Post

Are you applying for jobs that fit you and your interests or the other way around?

There is definitely hope. I had a horrible employment record, until I found work that fit my introverted and socially awkward personality, along with my interests and abilities.
I try to but there aren't really that many out there.

Unread 07-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
Poohbah

3 yr Member
40 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticDeLaEternal View Post
I recently read an article in a professional journal where they talked about interviewing. The author found that interviews aren't a reliable method of determining an interviewee's potential. They found that looking at data such as higher education courses taken, grades earned, GPA, etc. were better predictors of determining potential --the potential of earning X grade in the aforementioned consideration. In general, the author determined that an interviewer's "sense" that an interviewee would be a good fit for a position consistently fell short of other measurements(e.g. GPA).

But, I don't foresee many companies scrapping the traditional interview process. That being said, I'm generally awkward socially as I have social anxiety. So, I dedicate a lot of time to preparing for interviews. Going over potential questions and responses, etc. It's helped me out a lot in the past.

I tend to freeze up and I did practice beforehand for the last one with the counselor but still froze and messed up so.

Unread 07-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Poohbah

Hopingtrying has no updates.

2,355 hugs
given

You have a lot to work on but can overcome it. The more you interview, the less you will freeze. Apply for lots of jobs including ones you don't even want just so you get some interviews. You mostly need real life practice. Except for a remote job I do (hardly ever deal with the same person while I do it), I have been out of the job market for more than 2 years. For my references, I used a neighbor and a friend. It was fine.
Hopingtrying is offline   Reply With Quote