Unread 05-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
230 hugs
given
Default Feeling ethically challenged

I'm working on a grant application at work. The following question is asked and we get points based on the yes or no answer:

"Does the applicant have policies and procedures (including a complaint process) that address non-discrimination on the basis of disability?"

Well, having dealt with this issue personally at my place of employment, I can safely say "no" we don't. I'm looking at our employee handbook and we don't have a complaint process to file grievances about disability discrimination. Our policies about disability are only in regards to Equal Opportunity Employment, so no, we don't have this in place.

But if I mark it "no" our score will go down, and we will get less money.

I emailed HR as they are modifying the handbook now, and recommended that they add this to the handbook so I can check "yes" safely.

Otherwise, if they don't, I don't feel comfortable answering that question "yes." Since I have specifically been discriminated against and have no outlet to make that complaint.

Just brings up again for me all the anger I have about this discrimination issue, and why I need to follow through with it.

Seesaw

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]
Secondary Dx: OCPD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 05-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #2

GreenBlueRed has no updates.

My Mood:

193 hugs
given
Default Re: Feeling ethically challenged

Maybe this application is a good opener for having the discussion you have been needing. You can press harder on the importance of non-discrimination with that grant as a motivator. It may not work, but it is a good opportunity to try!

It sucks that we must always be pushing for the right thing, but you are savvy, motivated, and likely the best person there to do it.
GreenBlueRed is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
Molinit has no updates.

My Mood:

4 hugs
given

If you answer "no," it's safe to say perhaps your employer will decide they need someone else doing your job. Don't give them a reason to fire you.
Molinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
230 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molinit View Post
If you answer "no," it's safe to say perhaps your employer will decide they need someone else doing your job. Don't give them a reason to fire you.
I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I dont.

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
Unread 05-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
Molinit has no updates.

My Mood:

4 hugs
given

I know, I also know you're smart - just try to detach from ethical questions like this until your path at this company is clearer. It's a form of self-care in this case & makes your life there much easier. Write in a journal and date it about how you felt about answering yes (no would be job threatening) & how you approached HR regarding policy. Keep it at home in case you need it later
Molinit is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
230 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molinit View Post
I know, I also know you're smart - just try to detach from ethical questions like this until your path at this company is clearer. It's a form of self-care in this case & makes your life there much easier. Write in a journal and date it about how you felt about answering yes (no would be job threatening) & how you approached HR regarding policy. Keep it at home in case you need it later
I have a phone interview with the EEOC on Monday and I'm going to bring this up.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-20-2017, 01:31 AM   #7
Grand Member

daisydid Therapist vacations are awful.

My Mood:

11 hugs
given
Default Feeling ethically challenged

What a quandary, seesaw. If I were you, I would wait to hear back from HR before submitting the application. Perhaps also approach your new supervisor and discuss this with them. Do all of this via email so that you have a paper trail in the event that you need one down the line. But at the end of the day, I'd think you'd have to answer the question truthfully. I'm not sure how the process works, but I'd imagine that there would be financial impact if the people providing the grant were to find out that you lied on the application, which would definitely put you in the line of fire.

Definitely discuss this with the EEOC on Monday as well.

Last edited by daisydid; 05-20-2017 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Hit submit too soon
daisydid is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #8
Elder

winter4me has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,083 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Sounds to me like you are doing the right thing. You are trying to do what is right but also it can be presented (and really is) as being good for the company by clarifying a need/fixing a deficiency.

winter4me is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: