Unread 10-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #241
Grand Member

lifelesstraveled has no updates.

8 yr Member
103 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Working with a Disorder Check-In Thread

I am currently working from home as a Customer Service rep, so I pretty much deal with abusive customers all day. I've actually hung up on a few because they were being so combative that I couldn't take it. The schedule is 3:30pm-3:00 am 4 days a week. Besides the abusive customers, and the pay that can barely cover my bills, the job is OK. I recommend it in short term, but definitely not for years--though some ppl seem to be able to manage years. I can't

Before this job I was in the nonprofit world and they ran me into the ground so bad, and the environment was so toxic that my PTSD symptoms exploded. I took a leave of absence for 6 weeks, and when I came back my whole department with the exception of 1 ( out of 15) completely ignored me. No one welcomed me back --nothing. Almost 3 weeks went by before I even saw my boss and it was only because I stopped by someone's office to ask a question. After 4 weeks of being given the cold shoulder I finally submitted my 3 weeks notice. Funny thing is when I quit everyone suddenly started talking to me on during my last week. And one had the nerve to say "I haven't found anyone to replace you yet. You are so good at what you do". I felt like I was in the twilight zone. Like you all just ignore me and now you want to wish me well an tell me how great I am? I spent years supporting that department and couldn't even get a little support from them. Even if it was just to say 'hey welcome back!". HR was useless and when I did my exit interview I pretty much told them about themselves and that they need to improve on how to reintegrate people when they take a leave of absence. They need mental health first aid training. Something.

At any rate, I've been trying to get back into a regular 9-5 because working in customer service/retail is not paying the bills anymore and I really want to contribute to something I care about. I also need to be making a salary that is close to what I was making at the nonprofit. I had an interview today (2nd interview for the position I applied to) but bombed the skills test. I have a feeling they are going to say "thanks but no thanks", so I am going to keep on looking. I hope to find something before or by the end of the year.

My biggest fear is failing again in my new job, having to quit (or being fired) and ultimately being in this cycle for the rest of my working life. I just don't want PTSD to keep getting in the way.

That's my update. I hope to be able to join the chat at some point.

lifelesstraveled is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Unread 10-10-2017, 12:54 AM   #242
Account Suspended
Turtle_Rider has no updates.

2 yr Member
1,092 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I finally tell my family about my work condition I'm in, my problem. I accidentally tell them. To my surprise, they are supportive with me. No shouting or whatsover.

The boss still ********ing say "Later". At least, now I don't have to hide my status anymore (from family).
Turtle_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #243
Account Suspended
Turtle_Rider has no updates.

2 yr Member
1,092 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

After that liar decide to take 'vacation', now I have to done his ****ing work too.

Very great to make me angrier.

I don't plan for good quality work anymore.
Turtle_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #244

Bjørnen *nervous chuckle*

My Mood:

1,169 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

A large chunk of my job is just reaching out to people and scheduling appointments with them. Some days I don't have the energy to make that phone call or send that email. My coworkers believe our contacts are just slow to get back to us, when in reality, I'm slow to reach out. It has yet to cause real problems, and I know that if more was at stake (like people's jobs) I would be more on the ball. But I still feel like a small, weak person. I hate faking that professional, humorless, diplomatic tone when communicating with others.
Unread 10-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #245
Veteran Member

Purple,Violet,Blue has no updates.

My Mood:

665 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by it'sgrowtime View Post
I could. I just don't yet know if that's what I should do. I've only been there a few months and it's my first job in the field. I like my bosses and enjoy them at times...
I just get this feeling that my one boss thinks she owns me since she pays me. Like she wants the best return on her investment, which I understand, but couldn't she be less obvious about it? She's dramatic at times, which is entertaining, except when directed at me. She is very particular about what's important to her. I'm open to being trained, but she needs to take a breather before she freaks out and takes me on her roller coaster....which more than once ends with her saying, "it's not a big deal."

What does your ill tempered boss do?
It's hard for me to judge how bad my boss is, with my issues.

Has your workplace got any easier?
Purple,Violet,Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2017, 12:14 AM   #246

it'sgrowtime is blossoming

My Mood:

221 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple,Violet,Blue View Post
It's hard for me to judge how bad my boss is, with my issues.

Has your workplace got any easier?
I have a hard time judging it too, but it helps that I have a coworker to compare notes with (I trust the coworker).
It's getting easier perhaps. i made a choice I guess to ignore the boss' less endearing qualities, and not take it personally...but i promise myself that I will no longer feel intimidated by them. I'm not walking on egg shells!
I hope things improve for you !
it'sgrowtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #247
Veteran Member

Purple,Violet,Blue has no updates.

My Mood:

665 hugs
given

Thank you. I admire your strength in being able to do that.
Purple,Violet,Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #248
Grand Member

lifelesstraveled has no updates.

8 yr Member
103 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Me: Is it possible for an accommodation bc of my PTSD. (I requested to work less with customers and more with drivers, which was what my original job description was)

Manager: everyone is upset about the change in their jobs and we can't accommodate everyone

Me thinking: I have a legitimate disability that genuinely causes me stress in certain situations and abusive customers is one. My disability is on file with you all. Why are you comparing me to everyone (that's not to say that no one else has any challenges)?

Me: OK.

Manager: "not all customer are abusive".

Me thinking: Look, I have PTSD, but I am not stupid. I know this, but its the stress of not knowing who I am going to get when I go to answer the phone that causes unnecessary stress on my already stressed out system (decades of stress), which in turn affects my entire system for no reason.

Me: Well then I will work with HR.

Manager: Do you have any questions?

Me: NOPE.

Manager: Are you ok? You sound a bit defeated.

Me thinking: How you would feel if your employers who you've been supporting don't reciprocate that support?

Me saying: I'm fine. Goodbye.

lifelesstraveled is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 10-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #249
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
299 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I just want to remind everyone that Work Support Chat is on Monday at 830pm EST. It's open chat and a good place to get live support and advice for dealing with work issues. Or if you just need to vent.

See you all Monday!

Seesaw

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]
Secondary Dx: OCPD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #250

SheilaKathy I love my Creator!

My Mood:

107 hugs
given

What do you do if your boss asks you to do something that is totally NOT a part of your job description? My boss asked me to do something in front of everyone. So, if I had refused, it would have made me look bad, so I did it. However, I am not happy about having been placed in this awkward position!

Bipolar 1
cPTSD
Lyme Disease
Dyslexia
SheilaKathy is offline   Reply With Quote