Elder

Mountaindewed I like eggs.

My Mood: Dumb work incident.

2 yr Member
47 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dumb work incident.

I have an ear infection and I canít hear in my right ear. That was my main problem. Also Iím feeling sick in general. Today at work I was told I was going to be doing a task with another coworker. This task involved lifting heavy objects. The coworker went in the back with the manager and started goofing off with him while I was lifting the heavy boxes by myself. I was struggling physically and I was getting frustrated. I walked over to a couple coworkers who I get along with who was doing some smaller easier tasks. I asked one of them if she could help me with one of the boxes since it was so heavy. I told her I was getting frustrated because the boxes were so heavy. She came over to help me and asked the manager if someone would be helping me. The manager then started talking to her in Spanish. They have done this before but not when it involved me. The coworker did not say anything to this manager after he started talking to her in Spanish. She just helped me and left. I just found it so incredibly rude to speak another language in front of someone especially the way the manager did it. Finally half an hour later the coworker did come over to help.

I left today upset and I think my coworkers noticed. This manager is the lowest ranking manager at the store. So heís not exactly professional like the other
managers. I donít want to get him in trouble or anything. I just didnít like his behavior today. We are constantly being reminded about team lift and not to lift anything thatís too heavy yet he didnít really seem to pay attention to that. I felt like crap so maybe I just took things too personally.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Would the parents of a soggy boy with cotton candy in his nose please come to the medical tent!

Rupaul: You can call me he, you can call me she. You can call me Regis and Kathy Lee. I donít care, as long as you call me.
Mountaindewed is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 02-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
Mountaindewed
Elder

2 yr Member
47 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Dumb work incident.

And I didnít get the sense he was talking about me. I just felt like he was being rude in general.

Would the parents of a soggy boy with cotton candy in his nose please come to the medical tent!

Rupaul: You can call me he, you can call me she. You can call me Regis and Kathy Lee. I donít care, as long as you call me.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-11-2019, 06:29 AM   #3
sarahsweets
Grand Member

sarahsweets Humor is my end game..

72 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
I have an ear infection and I canít hear in my right ear. That was my main problem. Also Iím feeling sick in general. Today at work I was told I was going to be doing a task with another coworker. This task involved lifting heavy objects. The coworker went in the back with the manager and started goofing off with him while I was lifting the heavy boxes by myself. I was struggling physically and I was getting frustrated. I walked over to a couple coworkers who I get along with who was doing some smaller easier tasks. I asked one of them if she could help me with one of the boxes since it was so heavy. I told her I was getting frustrated because the boxes were so heavy. She came over to help me and asked the manager if someone would be helping me. The manager then started talking to her in Spanish. They have done this before but not when it involved me. The coworker did not say anything to this manager after he started talking to her in Spanish. She just helped me and left. I just found it so incredibly rude to speak another language in front of someone especially the way the manager did it. Finally half an hour later the coworker did come over to help.

I left today upset and I think my coworkers noticed. This manager is the lowest ranking manager at the store. So heís not exactly professional like the other
managers. I donít want to get him in trouble or anything. I just didnít like his behavior today. We are constantly being reminded about team lift and not to lift anything thatís too heavy yet he didnít really seem to pay attention to that. I felt like crap so maybe I just took things too personally.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?
I would speak to someone above him about the lifting. Workman's comp is something most employers do not want to have to deal with.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
Sisabel
Poohbah

Sisabel always trying...

333 hugs
given

I agree that it was rude to speak in Spanish and leave you out of the conversation. There probably isnít much you can do about that except learn some Spanish. Thatís what I did and my coworkers donít know how little or much I understand when they talk.

In my experience, companies preach certain policies to cover themselves legally but in practice they donít follow through. You have to be vigilant for yourself. The company doesnít care at all about you and the policies are only in place to protect themselves. Sarahsweets is right though, they donít want a workerís comp case either so that manager is placing herself at risk by ignoring a safety risk.

My advice is to politely speak up and ask for help and never lift anything heavy by yourself. Donít put yourself at risk just to avoid a potential conflict with someone who doesnít want to do their job. I have been in these kinds of situations many times and I know how hard it is. At first you feel like a jerk or an idiot for rocking the boat... but thatís not the case at all. Nobody is looking out for you if you arenít looking out for you. ❤️
Sisabel is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
MickeyCheeky
Wise Elder

MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

2 yr Member
23.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm so sorry, Mountaindewed I agree it was kinda rude. Can you talk to any figure that's above him in ranking about this? I agree with all the others that you need to take care of yourself. If you have to lift something heavy, always ask for help. It's not worth it to put your safety at risk. I hope you'll feel better soon. Take some time to relax yourself while you're at home. Wish you good luck! Let us know how it goes. Sending many hugs to you
MickeyCheeky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
Mountaindewed
Elder

2 yr Member
47 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Actually what happened today was the second I walked in the door one of the coworkers that was also there yesterday started talking to me and said ďmaybe itís just me, but I felt like that coworker was being really rude to you. Was she?Ē And I said yes she was. And so was the manager. I guess the rude coworker was saying other stuff too but I couldnít hear her because of my hearing issue. Then the Coworker I was talking to today told me that she and the other coworker (4 of us total yesterday and the manager) noticed that I was really upset when I left. So they told the rude coworker to lay off me and they told her that she owes me an apology. I guess the rude coworker felt guilty and didnít think what she was saying was being rude. The coworker I was talking to said she heard the Spanish being spoken and thought that was really rude but agreed with me that the coworker who the manger was talking to was not engaging with the manager and was just there to help me.

This coworker today asked me if I wanted to tell another manager about the incident and I told her no since it would just cause more stress and anxiety for me. Plus my issue was more with the heavy boxes and me not feeling good then with the coworker and managers obnoxious behaviors. This coworker told me that if I needed anything to come to her.

I feel really good though that these two coworkers are sticking up for me and are on my side and are seeing things the way I am. Itís nice not to be alone in the work force.