Community Support Team

splitimage has no updates.

My Mood: Nervous - starting a new job Mon. the 10

10 yr Member
22 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nervous - starting a new job Mon. the 10

I'm nervous. My last real full time work, ended in a layoff in 2010. I had a brief, ill fated attempt at another job that ended in a wrongful dismissal case, after they decided I was a bad fit 2 weeks after I disclosed my mental health history. I've only done very sporadic contract work since then.

Now I've landed a part time job as a cook. I start next Mon. I'm nervous. I'm worried I'm going to find it too hard physically, I was an accountant before, and I'm pretty out of shape, and I know it's going to be hard to adapting to a routine again.

But I want to be working. And the organization I've been hired with only hires psychiatric consumers, so they're flexible around Dr's appointments. which is good.

I'm hoping it'll turn out to be a good fit. I'm just nervous.

splitimage

"I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun". From my favorite hymn.

"If you see the wonder in a fairy tale, you can take the future even if you fail." Abba

Nervous - starting a new job Mon. the 10

As some of you may know, my blog is currently off-line due to some problems at my previous site host. I'm working with my web master to rebuild and get back on-line.
splitimage is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
MickeyCheeky
Elder

MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

2 yr Member
15.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Nervous - starting a new job Mon. the 10

You can do it, splitimage! Just give it your best shot, that's all you can do after all. I'm sure you'll do a good job, it's understandable you'de feel worried but try not to worry too much and just do the best you can. I believe in you
MickeyCheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-05-2018, 12:15 AM   #3
Side of the Angels

Side of the Angels has no updates.

5 yr Member
68 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimage View Post
Now I've landed a part time job as a cook. I start next Mon. I'm nervous. I'm worried I'm going to find it too hard physically, I was an accountant before, and I'm pretty out of shape, and I know it's going to be hard to adapting to a routine again.

I'm hoping it'll turn out to be a good fit. I'm just nervous.

splitimage
Wow, how exciting! Lots of changes about to happen. What was the thing that made you start applying, or how did you apply to this job?

It's normal to be nervous, what if we fail? What if we freak out, what if its too much, what if agagahagh. I know.

The entire reason I came to this forum (after over 4 years away) was I am starting a new job on the 10th ALSO! I have no idea what to do either. I just wanted to say that you aren't alone, and it's so normal to be scared and to even have thoughts of negativity about our own potential or capabilities. The only thing I can think of for myself and for others is to really take it one day at a time. I tend to disasterosize everything and get stressed and then be full of fear and doubt way before the thing even happens, and then a wreck the day of.

This time I will not. This time I will breathe, I will practice my tools and use everything I have to succeed. I am making planners, getting recipes and going shopping for crock pot meals, checking in with a friend who works the same schedule, and just going to take care of what I can while i can and not trip on the other stuff.

It's going to be great, just slow down and let life happen, and take it in as it comes. Congratulations on your new job, that is so exciting.

-SH
Side of the Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #4
Little Lulu
Grand Poohbah

Little Lulu has no updates.

5 yr Member
464 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Very understandable to be nervous about working when you've been out of the loop. I was off work for six months or so (maybe longer ... been a while :-) once and going back was very hard so I get it. Nice you found an organization to work for that has an understanding about psych issues, though.

Hope Monday comes quickly and you get your first day behind you and get a feel for if this place might be a good fit. Working is good for the soul so I'll be rooting for you.
Little Lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
RomanSunburn
Poohbah

RomanSunburn has no updates.

10 yr Member
584 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Congratulations on the new jobs! It's very exciting, and it's completely understandable that you're feeling nervous. You'll get through it, though! Just take it one day at a time, and remember to keep breathing. You've got this!
RomanSunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
mrsselig
mrsselig Running marathons

5 yr Member
40 hugs
given

Great news! Good luck on the new job! I remember starting back into the workforce after 12+ years as a stay-at-home mom. I was extremely nervous. A good friend, a Greek wedding photographer and English isn't his native language, offered this advice: "everyone, the whole world, might be on fire...all around you. But you're cool, just doing your job." It helped me! It's tough starting a new job! The first two weeks (to me) are a nightmare! Eeeek....but....every single day/every hour it gets easier. Before you know it...you're one of the gang and you're just doing your thing. I am sending you mega loads of good energy! You got this!
mrsselig is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #7
splitimage
Community Support Team

splitimage has no updates.

10 yr Member
22 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling less stressed. After all they'll probably start me off on prep, which just means chopping massive quantities of vegetables, which I can do.

Side of Angels re how I applied and got the job, really was a bit of a fluke. I'm on disability, but it's really not enough to live on. But I've been talking to all my Dr's about the possibility of working part time, and they think I'm well enough to handle it now. So I was thinking of starting to look for work in January.

But I get a monthly newsletter that's aimed at the psychiatric community, and this catering company that only hires psych consumers was advertising for a dishwasher. I thought, that would be low stress, so I applied,and I mentioned in my cover letter, that I had commercial kitchen experience way back in university. Working as a cook, is how I payed for school.

That got them excited, so they emailed me and said they were hiring for a cook's position and did I want to come in for an interview. Obviously I said yes, and they said they'd start me off with a couple of trial shifts to see if I'm a good fit for them, and if I like them. So my first shift is Mon.

I'm going to do my best and really hope it works out.

splitimage

"I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun". From my favorite hymn.

"If you see the wonder in a fairy tale, you can take the future even if you fail." Abba

Nervous - starting a new job Mon. the 10

As some of you may know, my blog is currently off-line due to some problems at my previous site host. I'm working with my web master to rebuild and get back on-line.
splitimage is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #8
mrsselig
mrsselig Running marathons

5 yr Member
40 hugs
given

Good luck....I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and wishing you godspeed on your new job! You got this!!!
mrsselig is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #9
hvert
Grand Magnate

hvert has no updates.

3 yr Member
1,303 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!