Legendary

divine1966 has no updates.

My Mood: I Dread Work... I Miss my Former Life

3 yr Member
260 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I Dread Work... I Miss my Former Life

Can you afford taking a job with 20k lower salary than whatís normally paid? It seems very extreme. 20k a year is a lot of money. Is that much less than what you get paid now? Why would you agree to that? Iíd not call a potential employer and offer to get paid less. I donít think it would look good. Like you donít value yourself or donít think you know your job to get paid decent. Now I understand taking small pay cut, like Id take small pay cut if I didnít have to drive far anymore, like it would cut price of gas. But I am talking 1-2k not 20.

Leaving current employer isnít a big deal if you have reasonable explanation: substantially more money or family change or move or health issue etc I wouldnít worry about it.

Do they have vacancies? Is that the same employer that cut your full time hours? Would they even have full time hours now?
divine1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 08-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #222
golden_eve
Grand Magnate

golden_eve has no updates.

2 yr Member
2,742 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
Can you afford taking a job with 20k lower salary than whatís normally paid? It seems very extreme. 20k a year is a lot of money. Is that much less than what you get paid now? Why would you agree to that? Iíd not call a potential employer and offer to get paid less. I donít think it would look good. Like you donít value yourself or donít think you know your job to get paid decent. Now I understand taking small pay cut, like Id take small pay cut if I didnít have to drive far anymore, like it would cut price of gas. But I am talking 1-2k not 20.

Leaving current employer isnít a big deal if you have reasonable explanation: substantially more money or family change or move or health issue etc I wouldnít worry about it.

Do they have vacancies? Is that the same employer that cut your full time hours? Would they even have full time hours now?

It's not the same employer who cut my hours. i was working part time for them and now since I've left they decided that they want to hire a more junior level person full-time at a lower salary than what I made with them.

Yes, I could survive on 20K less, but it IS a lot less. I am just assuming that's what they would pay a more junior level person.

Thing is, I don't feel qualified for the senior level role I am in. As I've mentioned before, those more junior to me seem to know a whole lot more than I do. I don't feel well prepared for this role or truly ready for it. I don't feel up to the challenge either, of having to learn SO much. Then again, I could potentially grow into my role over time. Let's say after one year.

I really just don't know what to do.

~Bob Marley
golden_eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:15 AM   #223
divine1966
Legendary

3 yr Member
260 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Iíd be applying to jobs like editors etc and maybe go through recruiters? Itís ok to ask former employer if they have full time position opening. Wouldnít right away tell him I would work for less money.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-10-2018, 07:19 AM   #224
golden_eve
Grand Magnate

2 yr Member
2,742 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Iíd be applying to jobs like editors etc and maybe go through recruiters? Itís ok to ask former employer if they have full time position opening. Wouldnít right away tell him I would work for less money.
Thank you!

~Bob Marley
Old 08-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #225
seesaw
Human

seesaw is tired of other people's BS

3 yr Member
532 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_eve View Post
It's not the same employer who cut my hours. i was working part time for them and now since I've left they decided that they want to hire a more junior level person full-time at a lower salary than what I made with them.

Yes, I could survive on 20K less, but it IS a lot less. I am just assuming that's what they would pay a more junior level person.

Thing is, I don't feel qualified for the senior level role I am in. As I've mentioned before, those more junior to me seem to know a whole lot more than I do. I don't feel well prepared for this role or truly ready for it. I don't feel up to the challenge either, of having to learn SO much. Then again, I could potentially grow into my role over time. Let's say after one year.

I really just don't know what to do.
Could you survive on $20k less without living with your BF? I'd just want to be sure that I could survive on my own too.

I agree with Divine, you could see if the old employer might have an opening, but don't discuss salary or open with that you'd take a pay cut.

I think you need to consider long-term what taking a pay cut will do to you. It will make it harder for you to earn more in the future. It's difficult to take a pay cut, then expect in a future opportunity that you'll not only jump up to what you used to make but surpass it.

I understand the need to get out of the ill-fitting job, just don't make a rash decision that may affect your career long-term as you look for a better-fitting position.

Seesaw

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #226
golden_eve
Grand Magnate

2 yr Member
2,742 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
Could you survive on $20k less without living with your BF? I'd just want to be sure that I could survive on my own too.

I agree with Divine, you could see if the old employer might have an opening, but don't discuss salary or open with that you'd take a pay cut.

I think you need to consider long-term what taking a pay cut will do to you. It will make it harder for you to earn more in the future. It's difficult to take a pay cut, then expect in a future opportunity that you'll not only jump up to what you used to make but surpass it.

I understand the need to get out of the ill-fitting job, just don't make a rash decision that may affect your career long-term as you look for a better-fitting position.

Seesaw

Thanks, Seesaw -- I did think of that, too. Plus, I really should be earning what I am earning now, market-wise. It would be a huge drop, but it cannot hurt to ask the old company anyways, & without mentioning salary. Thanks again for your input - it helps!

~Bob Marley
Old 08-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #227
golden_eve
Grand Magnate

2 yr Member
2,742 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

SO, after thinking about it a lot more, I don't think I will ask for my old job back.

I made it to a senior level position somehow and think I can grow into this role over time. Why go backwards when I worked so hard for so long to move forward? I haven't felt like I deserve my senior title, and I am sure my colleagues are wondering the same thing, but If I can grow into the role, then I deserve it, right?

And to go backwards by 20K, that's a huge amount! I was underpaid for three years recently and it really bothered me and made me upset.

And who is to say that I would like a full-time position with the old company? There wasn't enough collaboration, I was mainly left on my own to work the part time hours that I did, so who is to say that full time would be healthy and happy for me?

The other day in my new job I collaborated with team members on troubleshooting an issue, and I have to admit, it was SO nice to collaborate!!! I haven't had much of that over the years and it helped immensely!!!!

Plus, I now have that huge client I was so scared of, I was doing their monthly report on Friday, and I noticed something that could vastly improve their website traffic.

So I do have some strengths. I saw an opportunity that my more junior level colleague hadn't noticed yet and he's been working on this account for the last year. I mean, I knew this about myself, but I'm just not confident enough.

So, I guess I am saying I am gaining my sea legs in this role a little more and perhaps a little more confidence too.

AND, IF I want to go into editorial work, perhaps there's a way develop that skill further within my current role and use it as a stepping stone?

The first month of this job felt like pure HELL, but I think it's slowly getting better. Dare I say I am feeling a wee bit more positive? I think I am.

~Bob Marley
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-11-2018, 11:41 PM   #228
divine1966
Legendary

3 yr Member
260 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Awesome progress.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #229
golden_eve
Grand Magnate

2 yr Member
2,742 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Awesome progress.

Thanks Divine!

~Bob Marley
Hugs from:
Old 08-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #230
golden_eve
Grand Magnate

2 yr Member
2,742 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

So.... news! I passed the Analytics exam today with a 97%!!!! I got 2/70 wrong, not bad! YAY!!!!!

~Bob Marley
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: