Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #11
healingme4me
Perpetually Pondering
Community Liaison Leader
Community Liaison

healingme4me Needs a little reading lamp.

My Mood: Bringing up sensitive issue with management

5 yr Member
6,407 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Bringing up sensitive issue with management

There is the underlying common known that high levels of turnover indicate trouble at the top. Hopefully, that gives a sense of job security, for you? Sometimes loyalty can work in ones favor in such environments. Sometimes it can have the opposite effect as seen during the recessions at the turn of the millennial, but my fingers are crossed for you.
healingme4me is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-07-2018, 10:51 PM   #12
Sisabel
Grand Member

Sisabel always trying...

291 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechu View Post
I'm on my phone and can't edit, but the first part of the text got cut off. Basically, yet another person quit after only 6 months. So, for the time being, I don't think she's in much of a position to fire either F or me. I wonder if her bosses are eventually going to question all the turnover!
Let this all work in your favor. Perhaps watch and wait. Iíve been burned from speaking up too much better but Iíve also made the mistake of not speaking up when I should. Itís tricky to find the right balance so Iíve become very careful about what I say and do.
Sisabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #13
rechu
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
24 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisabel View Post
Iím sorry you havenít had much feedback on this. Iíve been away for a while... Too tired at the end of the work day to do much. Honestly... I think that you sound very diligent in your work and very intuitive - youíre ahead of everybody else probably... and I have found that bites me in the butt.... I think you should put your energy into taking care of yourself as best you can and limit what you go to your boss about. Sounds like your boss doesnít care who does what and she just wants it done. Itís the same at my work so I keep many of my observations to myself and try to do the best job I can. Good luck. 🍀

Thanks. That's the thing, I am diligent and work very hard, I'd say from everything I see, F is too. It's just that the nature of what we do makes it hard to make a target that is, quite honestly, arbitrary.

I mean I deal constantly with one of the countries that is the most complicated, because I am fluent in the language. My boss isn't, and it's not really her area of expertise, so with very little help, I taught myself how public contracting works in that country, how the courts that regulate these projects function, etc. I also help co-workers by making calls there since they don't speak the language. But, it seems like those sorts of things are less valued than the almighty numbers.

If she were to fire F, given her track record, would whoever she hired to replace her be better? Probably not, given all the people that have cycled through.

I am nervous about what to say. I mean, I thought I was prepared to essentially defend myself, bring up cases that showed where I worked hard, but it took a while to find all the information, to demonstrate the quality of information I produce. That is what I am feeling gets lost in all the focus on numbers and not quality.

However that did not work for F AT ALL! So I feel like it's back to square one.
rechu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #14
rechu
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
24 hugs
given

In the end we spoke yesterday by phone and I lived to tell about it.

Overall, she was more conciliatory than with F. She overall is happy with the quality of my work and my knowledge of the sector I cover. Yeah, she does want to see a higher production rate, but at least she didn't just say it, she offered some ideas she had as to how I can do that. And, she even said that if I feel stuck with trying to find a piece of information at times to let her know and maybe she will have some thoughts to help me.

She also said that she is going to be leaning on me more in the short-term because she is training the new people so she'll be sending me more client questions, for example. I told her that was fine and to let me know where I could help out.

In the end, it is pretty clear that she does need me around, so at least my job is safe for a while. She seems to be making some effort on her part to discuss things too, which was lacking in the past. I will keep what she said in mind and hopefully it will help.
Hugs from:
Old 07-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #15
rechu
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
24 hugs
given

Ugh, well I'm back to worrying.

I work from home. One of my notebooks mysteriously crapped out on me after only having it a bit more than a year. I have a backup, but I recently had it fixed up and windows reinstalled and I needed for IT to reinstall the tools I need to be able to make phone calls.

So, I have various things that are almost ready to send to the editor but need a phone call to confirm a contact or ask a question. I have been advancing well researching/writing, but can't send things to the editor because our IT department is so slow. I requested help with this probably 5 times, and after over a week they only did it yesterday.

Now she's on the warpath with me about the whole issue about how I needed to find a better way to handle the situation. Our IT guys are notoriously slow for these things. I made the effort to follow up with them, but it is not something I knew how to configure myself, so I don't know what more I could have done honestly.

I now have it installed/configured and am working on making calls and sending things to the editor. They will all be sent and published.

According to F she has been going around with a grouchy look on her face all morning, so maybe she wanted to pick a fight with someone.
Hugs from:
Old 07-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #16
Fuzzybear
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
46.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Old 08-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #17
rechu
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
24 hugs
given

Well this is garbage. The editor has been overwhelmed and our boss who sometimes helps with editing was out sick. So, there is a huge queue of projects that did not get edited before yesterday, the end of the month. They have hired more researchers but we only have one full-time editor and two freelancers and one of the freelancers has not been working much lately.

I had hoped, since this is not the researchersí fault, that things we had sent to the editor before the end of the month, would still get counted towards our monthly stats. But, we were just informed that they wonít be. According to F, she has 32 projects (of 87) that are not edited and I have 39 (of 93)! The bossís pets have 10 or less. Itís pretty clear that things are not being handled fairly and the editor is focusing on editing the things the bossí pets send her and not our work and it is going to screw us over. There are projects I sent over a week that havenít been edited yet.

I saved a copy of the editing queue to have proof all the things I sent but that werenít edited by the end of the month. It has the dates I sent so it is clear that these were sitting around for a while. I am not going to sit down and take it if they try to question my performance this month. If it comes to escalating to her boss, I am going to have to consider it.
Hugs from:
Old 08-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #18
rechu
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
24 hugs
given

And now the main editor is out sick for a week!! This has disaster written all over it.
Hugs from:
Old 08-13-2018, 12:58 AM   #19
Cocosurviving
Elder

Cocosurviving Anxiety go away

5 yr Member
274 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hello there,

Iím not sure how big this company is but is there not an HR department? With a lot of the bigger companies there off site and if you go to the company website you can get there number.

Twitter: @cocosurviving
Cocosurviving.wordpress.com
Cocosurviving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #20
rechu
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
24 hugs
given

Hi Coco! Thanks for your thoughts. Unfortunately, it is a small company, under 100 people. HR is three people and as often is the case, they seem to just want to cover the company's butt.

I haven't seen any indication that the high turnover in my team is of concern to upper management. I've been here about a year and a half and the typical department staffing level should be about 8 people. In my time, 11 people have been fired or have quit!! I guess they just see it as the cost of doing business, although I find it terrible for morale and productivity since we never have a situation where everyone is fully trained. Also, new people tend to make more mistakes, which the rest of us have to spend time fixing.

Here, if a company wants to let someone go, they usually cite needs of the business and pay severance based on the time the person has worked there. This avoids wrongful dismissal lawsuits. Our boss has been there 11 years and obviously makes more than us, so they'd have to pay her a lot. I guess they figure it is more cost-effective to make smaller severance payments to people with less seniority. However, the money adds up and there are costs associated with constantly hiring and training new people, so, in the long run it seems like a bad idea.

I asked her what is going to happen with calculation of monthly statistics due to the editing problems last month. She said the same thing as the editor - if it didn't get edited it doesn't count, although she said the problems "would be taken into consideration". That is pretty vague and does not put me at ease. It sounds like she has a lot of leeway of how to interpret our numbers and still could give us a hard time. She hasn't addressed the issue with any comment to the group at large, which I think is very poor leadership.