Grand Magnate

golden_eve has no updates.

My Mood: Interviewing Sucks

2 yr Member
2,741 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Interviewing Sucks

I have been interviewing on and off for over a year now.

Just got done with yet another and feel totally discouraged to the point of crying.

I cannot take this anymore.. the in-depth, lengthy preparation, the pre-interview anxiety, the random challenge and knowledge-based questions, being thrown off, not selling myself well enough, not coming up with good counter arguments or examples of past work, etc etc etc., all leading to rejection after rejection after rejection.

I am so done with this process!!!!! I've had it.

Just had another interview that didn't go that great, or so I believe. He had some concerns at the end, and I don't know if what I said helped or not.

I cannot take more rejections!!!!!

~Bob Marley
golden_eve is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 09-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
seesaw
Human

seesaw is tired of other people's BS

3 yr Member
531 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Interviewing Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_eve View Post
I have been interviewing on and off for over a year now...

I cannot take this anymore.. the in-depth, lengthy preparation, the pre-interview anxiety, the random challenge and knowledge-based questions, being thrown off, not selling myself well enough, not coming up with good counter arguments or examples of past work, etc etc etc., all leading to rejection after rejection after rejection.
I totally feel you, Golden_Eve. I had an interview today for a freelance gig that would be great, but they also want to pay me on a soft of contingency basis, which makes it very goal driven. I have a phone interview in a minute and I can bet the woman is going to tell me that the pay is way lower than I want and that there is no relocation money. I dunno, I'm sure the money isn't terrible, but if there's no relocation, maybe I can borrow from my mom and dad and pay them back, but we shall see.

I have a whole bunch of first phone interviews next week...I really need one of these to turn into a job already so I don't get evicted from my apartment.

Of course, I've blown my fair share of interviews lately too. I keep messing up the time of interviews and showing up late, not my usual self. I was taught to always be early, etc. That reminds me, I need to send a thank you note to the two people I just interviewed with today too.

Blah. The whole interview process is tiresome. Just trying to put your absolute best face on and foot forward while they grill you...it's exhausting even when it goes well.

Good luck, golden_eve. I hope something comes through for you soon.

Seesaw

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 09-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Anonymous50013
Anonymous50013 has no updates. Edit

I'm honestly exhausted for you. And frustrated for you. I've been here, I empathize, and I hope you'll be able to unwind for the weekend and forget about it all for a short wile. Sigh.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 09-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
golden_eve
Grand Magnate

2 yr Member
2,741 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
I totally feel you, Golden_Eve. I had an interview today for a freelance gig that would be great, but they also want to pay me on a soft of contingency basis, which makes it very goal driven. I have a phone interview in a minute and I can bet the woman is going to tell me that the pay is way lower than I want and that there is no relocation money. I dunno, I'm sure the money isn't terrible, but if there's no relocation, maybe I can borrow from my mom and dad and pay them back, but we shall see.

I have a whole bunch of first phone interviews next week...I really need one of these to turn into a job already so I don't get evicted from my apartment.

Of course, I've blown my fair share of interviews lately too. I keep messing up the time of interviews and showing up late, not my usual self. I was taught to always be early, etc. That reminds me, I need to send a thank you note to the two people I just interviewed with today too.

Blah. The whole interview process is tiresome. Just trying to put your absolute best face on and foot forward while they grill you...it's exhausting even when it goes well.

Good luck, golden_eve. I hope something comes through for you soon.

Seesaw
I feel for you too, Seesaw.... you nailed it. Hard to always put your best face on while they grill you. I really hope one of these interviews lands you a job asap!!! Best of luck, and I'm with you on this!

~Bob Marley
Old 09-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
golden_eve
Grand Magnate

2 yr Member
2,741 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjørnen View Post
I'm honestly exhausted for you. And frustrated for you. I've been here, I empathize, and I hope you'll be able to unwind for the weekend and forget about it all for a short wile. Sigh.
thanks so much for your empathy and understanding---hugs!

I am having much needed glass of vino, and will go out for dinner tonight -- two things that should help turn around my brooding mood... or at least I hope and for now.

Tomorrow I am sure it will creep right back in.

Another interview scheduled for Tuesday -- 2 hours long! The process goes on and on.... it IS beyond exhausting.

It's taking ALL of my strength, each individual cell in my entire body is fighting. I fear I cannot go on like this too much longer.

~Bob Marley
Old 09-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
seesaw
Human

3 yr Member
531 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_eve View Post
thanks so much for your empathy and understanding---hugs!

I am having much needed glass of vino, and will go out for dinner tonight -- two things that should help turn around my brooding mood... or at least I hope and for now.

Tomorrow I am sure it will creep right back in.

Another interview scheduled for Tuesday -- 2 hours long! The process goes on and on.... it IS beyond exhausting.

It's taking ALL of my strength, each individual cell in my entire body is fighting. I fear I cannot go on like this too much longer.
Hey golden,

So my interviews today went pretty well, but it will still be another couple of weeks probably before I know for sure. I have quite a few first interviews next week too. I'm just so tired of this lengthy interview process. It gets frustrating answering the same questions over and over and over again, especially when you've been interviewing a lot.

Sigh...I hope one of these actually comes through. I need to get back to real life now.

Seesaw

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
Hugs from:
Old 09-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Yzen
Poohbah

Yzen has no updates.

2 yr Member
1,309 hugs
given

Two years ago after some bad interviews, I got so tired of the weight and anxiety of trying to impress. I decided to trick myself into not caring so much about the interview performance and focus on having an open conversation with them. I would convince myself before the interview that I probably wouldn't get the job (so no need to worry) and my only goal was to talk to them openly about myself and their company in case they had other jobs later on. It seemed to take much of the pressure off me. I did get a two offers and took the job I have now.

It is so exhausting. I understand the frustration.
Yzen is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 09-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
seesaw
Human

3 yr Member
531 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzen View Post
Two years ago after some bad interviews, I got so tired of the weight and anxiety of trying to impress. I decided to trick myself into not caring so much about the interview performance and focus on having an open conversation with them. I would convince myself before the interview that I probably wouldn't get the job (so no need to worry) and my only goal was to talk to them openly about myself and their company in case they had other jobs later on. It seemed to take much of the pressure off me. I did get a two offers and took the job I have now.

It is so exhausting. I understand the frustration.
Oh, I approach it like a conversation, but with an MI, I still have to put on a non depressed face, lol. That's what's tiring.

Seesaw

"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 09-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
Yzen
Poohbah

Yzen has no updates.

2 yr Member
1,309 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
Oh, I approach it like a conversation, but with an MI, I still have to put on a non depressed face, lol. That's what's tiring.
Yes, making the face look the part is so tiring. LOL I am not sure I have a completely non-depressed face. I guess I do at times, but I have to work it up from a half-grin to a half grin/fading smile. I end up with an empty stare like this:

And, being energetic in an interview is not easy. By the time the interview is over, I am ready for a long nap.
Yzen is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 09-23-2017, 01:08 AM   #10
DarknessIsMyFriend
Resurgent
DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.

3 yr Member
526 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

This is why I am seeking both an entrepreneurial path in life as well as learning skills that can be proven in a portfolio (web design and maybe some graphic design as well) that way if my business ideas fail than I can just gather a portfolio of my work and prove that I know my stuff with my work and knowledge in an interview instead of trying to prove myself by using a bunch of meaningless words.

Honestly though, IDK what to say about the interview part though. Interviewing is both tiresome and pointless since it has been proven time and time again that you can't prove somebody is an ideal candidate for the majority of job positions by how well they perform in a job interview alone.

DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: