Old 02-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #11
ennie
Veteran Member

ennie has no updates.

My Mood: Working on my looks is painful

993 hugs
given
Default Re: Working on my looks is painful

My friend who is EXHAUSTED from working her behind off to support her large family forgot to take her makeup bag to work one day, and her co-workers gossiped about whether she was on drugs. I fear I look equally exhausted and I sometimes do get "looks" from people. I don't care about looking pretty but want to avoid looking "unkempt." Your looks does make a difference in social interactions even if you don't want to be judged for it because it is your "heart" that really matters.
ennie is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 02-19-2019, 02:33 AM   #12
healingme4me
Perpetually Pondering
Community Liaison Leader
Community Liaison

healingme4me Needs a little reading lamp.

5 yr Member
6,407 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm sorry that happened to your co-worker. Sadly, that's all too common, the gossiping that is. The thread in this section of the forum discussing territorial aggressions by women to women is spot on. I can only imagine what that might be like for your coworker. It's no secret where I live in my place of employment, and where I live has quite the reputation as a hubbub of "distribution" (of drugs not exaggerating) and also the landing spot of those discarded for addictions from surrounding communities (hence the large homeless population. That said what most neglect to recognise is that it's a quiet but large spiritual center(meaning more churches than one can count and loads of evangelicals and traditionals). So there's a telltale difference here between both sides of that path. Not that gossiping nitpicky critical masses care.
In the meantime, not looking exhausted has a huge effect in the workplace.
I hear you about wanting to limit the time and attention to it. It's a matter of finding what works best for you and getting it so routine that it's not taking more than but a few minutes of your time. I multitask between layers of skin care. Wash face/tone...grab clothes etc...I space it out.
healingme4me is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #13
AspiringAuthor
Veteran Member
AspiringAuthor has no updates.

317 hugs
given

Ennie, I would invest in longer-term care for your skin that would ensure that your skin tone is even (Retin-A at night, preferably prescription-strength - it takes one minute to apply a thin layer over the face, except for lips), in good nutrition with lots of fat and healthy hydration to ensure that your skin looks supple, and in ample sleep so that you look well-rested. Do that for three months and then re-evaluate if you still need makeup.

I will tell you a story. I do not use makeup but do the above and get ample sleep. One of my closest girlfriends is a young widow who is raising twin boys alone. She used to work as a beauty and health editor of a fashion magazine. She worked long hours and had a stressful commute. We live on different continents. I visited her once when her twins were toddlers (her husband died from a heart attack when she was 7 months pregnant). Her bathroom was like a storage room - every possible skin treatment on Earth, all because of the samples she had been bombarded with thanks to her job.

But she had tired, exhausted, pale skin that you felt sorry for, because all of those preparations are pretty useless if the basics aren't met and the key ingredient of luminous skin is sufficient sleep - ideally, enough so that you wake up without an alarm clock.
AspiringAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #14
healingme4me
Perpetually Pondering
Community Liaison Leader
Community Liaison

5 yr Member
6,407 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I agree with the skin care aspect. I was trying to understand why foundation isn't for me-it takes away my natural glow to be honest. I have genetic under eye circles/darkness so it doesn't matter how much or how little sleep I get with those. But I have been working on discovering the right combination of moisturizer and light concealer/setting powder to cover that in a non caked on way. My eyes and lips have always and will continue to be my makeup focus. Sometimes I wear eye shadow sometimes I don't. Mascara and lipstick or gloss have been and continue to be my go tos.
I double cleanse my skin most nights. I use a wash off mask/two actually one to exfoliate(gently) and one to hydrate about every two to three nights. I use moisturizers and a serum. Added retin a not too long ago as I was 'blessed' with the dreaded 11. That seems to be helping.

To add...sometimes I wear a primer as a foundation, one that has a collagen feature to it. And of course to add...sunscreen is important.

To summarize... A good must have look to a beauty cabinet/shelf includes a good cleanser/toner/serum or essence or oil/moisturizer/spf.

If you're looking for affordability...my recommends would be the ordinary or mark badescu. They are natural lines. I have been using but switching from an mlm and have those next on my list. My own personal collection looks different at the moment. These products All have shelf lives. But there's so much out there and everyone's skin care is different.

Last edited by healingme4me; 02-20-2019 at 07:38 AM..
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #15
Pikku Myy
Grand Magnate

Pikku Myy Is feeling a bit more balanced... finally, lol

8 yr Member
5,055 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Be who you are. Hugs
Pikku Myy is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #16
Pikku Myy
Grand Magnate

Pikku Myy Is feeling a bit more balanced... finally, lol

8 yr Member
5,055 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Screw it all. Be there, be natural you.
Pikku Myy is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-23-2019, 04:23 AM   #17
saidso

saidso has no updates.

118 hugs
given
Heart Re: Working on my looks is painful

Is there something "wrong" with being tired?

I have a young friend who works in the film industry and whose boss asks "Are you sick?" if she goes to work without make-up.

We all worked 50-60 hour weeks in my industry and we were all always tired, but had fun anyways.

I'm sorry this is painful for you Ennie - glad you can post about it!!!
saidso is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #18
healingme4me
Perpetually Pondering
Community Liaison Leader
Community Liaison

5 yr Member
6,407 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Something can be wrong about looking tired, in the workplace. I'm more willing to leave my concealer off heading into the laundromat or running to the convenience store. In the workplace, it's sometimes better to not give ammunition or a reason for fingers points, gums flapping when things aren't going to plan, even things beyond ones control.

That said, back to good skin care. That eventually doesn't feel like a chore because in its own way it's self care. Skin is important and often most neglected. Make-up well, that can be optional. If you get the skin to glow, then there's really not much needed by the way of makeup.

My undereyes as I've learned it genetic. So the concealer is a tip and skill that I've learned more recently. I've been tossing concealer on under my eyes since I was a teenager not fully knowing why I had these 'circles' which aren't really circles. But I found out how to hide them. It's not perfect but I don't wear a lot of make up that's the thing. Just discovered this oil though. 2 drops on my upper cheeks to temples and wow. I look healthy during these winter months. Oh the things I never learned from mom, that is for sure.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #19
TishaBuv
Elder

TishaBuv has no updates.

3 yr Member
780 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Burtís Bees bb cream makes you look fresh and healthy. Itís just a tinted moisturizer.
TishaBuv is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: