Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Women-Focused Support



advertisement
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
Member
scarlett35 has no updates.
 
Member Since: May 2017
Posts: 167
Default Problems with "the big o" now I'm on citalopram

Hi guys.

I'm on a very low dose of citalopram to help with my anxiety, and I have felt so much better since starting to take it. My anxiety is much more manageable and I feel generally a lot happier. I'm just having one side effect...

...When I have sex with my SO I'm struggling to orgasm. I noticed this the first time I took them too. I would really really struggle to reach it. It's not like I'm not aroused at all cause I am, but i dont think i am as aroused as before. I just can't seem to orgasm. It takes forever to get there and usually I have to be in a specific position and it's still a struggle!

The weird thing is when I'm alone I can, it's still not easy but I think it's because I can get into the position I like and such, this position isn't really possible in sex as I like to be flat on my belly and the angle is just awkward

I wouldn't mind so much but my other half (bless him!) tends to hold his own O off until I've had mine! This means that he's often waiting too long and then not having one himself at all. I tell him to just go for it and not hold it but I think he's worried I'm not enjoying it I can have one after sex though and quite happy to as it's easier for me now I'm on the tablets.

I don't know why this is happening but it's only started since the pills (again!) I've never had such an issue before them, even when on the mini pill i had a high sex drive and always found it easy!

I'm not willing to come off citalopram as I'm 100% happier than I was, but am wondering if anyone has had the same? Or if anyone has any tips to help the O come along quicker... ??

Thanks! And sorry for all the info
scarlett35 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 10-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Grand Magnate
 
TishaBuv's Avatar
TishaBuv has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4,535 (SuperPoster!)
2 yr Member
579 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Problems with "the big o" now I'm on citalopram

I’ve never taken citalopram, but I’ve taken other ADs that inhibited the O. Now I take Cymbalta and it does not block it.
__________________
"And don't say it hasn't been a little slice of heaven, 'cause it hasn't!"
. About Me--T
TishaBuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
Member
scarlett35 has no updates.
 
Member Since: May 2017
Posts: 167
Default Re: Problems with "the big o" now I'm on citalopram

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
Iíve never taken citalopram, but Iíve taken other ADs that inhibited the O. Now I take Cymbalta and it does not block it.
I've never heard of cymbalta! Is it an SSRI do you know?
scarlett35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
Grand Magnate
 
TishaBuv's Avatar
TishaBuv has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4,535 (SuperPoster!)
2 yr Member
579 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Problems with "the big o" now I'm on citalopram

It’s an anti depressant that my rheumatologist prescribed for pain (arthritis).
__________________
"And don't say it hasn't been a little slice of heaven, 'cause it hasn't!"
. About Me--T
TishaBuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
Member
scarlett35 has no updates.
 
Member Since: May 2017
Posts: 167
Default Re: Problems with "the big o" now I'm on citalopram

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
Itís an anti depressant that my rheumatologist prescribed for pain (arthritis).
Ah ok! Thank you I might mention the O problem to my doctor when I next go maybe I could try a different tablet
scarlett35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
Member
YOLO Lady has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 58
28 hugs
given
Default Re: Problems with "the big o" now I'm on citalopram

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett35 View Post
Hi guys.

I'm on a very low dose of citalopram to help with my anxiety, and I have felt so much better since starting to take it. My anxiety is much more manageable and I feel generally a lot happier. I'm just having one side effect...

...When I have sex with my SO I'm struggling to orgasm. I noticed this the first time I took them too. I would really really struggle to reach it. It's not like I'm not aroused at all cause I am, but i dont think i am as aroused as before. I just can't seem to orgasm. It takes forever to get there and usually I have to be in a specific position and it's still a struggle!

The weird thing is when I'm alone I can, it's still not easy but I think it's because I can get into the position I like and such, this position isn't really possible in sex as I like to be flat on my belly and the angle is just awkward

I wouldn't mind so much but my other half (bless him!) tends to hold his own O off until I've had mine! This means that he's often waiting too long and then not having one himself at all. I tell him to just go for it and not hold it but I think he's worried I'm not enjoying it I can have one after sex though and quite happy to as it's easier for me now I'm on the tablets.

I don't know why this is happening but it's only started since the pills (again!) I've never had such an issue before them, even when on the mini pill i had a high sex drive and always found it easy!

I'm not willing to come off citalopram as I'm 100% happier than I was, but am wondering if anyone has had the same? Or if anyone has any tips to help the O come along quicker... ??

Thanks! And sorry for all the info
I had the same exact problem but was on some other type of med, not the one that you're on. I told my p-doc and she switched me to Wellbutrin which does not have that side effect. Maybe try another drug, til you find one that works and does not have a sexual side effect.
YOLO Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
Member
 
Carmina's Avatar
Carmina has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: A Growlery somewhere in the UK
Posts: 261 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

43 hugs
given
Default Re: Problems with "the big o" now I'm on citalopram

In the meantime ask hubby to get his O out of the way earlier so he can pay all his attention to you, slowly
Carmina is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #8
Member
 
Carmina's Avatar
Carmina has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: A Growlery somewhere in the UK
Posts: 261 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

43 hugs
given
Default Re: Problems with "the big o" now I'm on citalopram

btw when I was on Citalopram it didn't stop me getting orgasms but it did make it harder, however I found the quality of the orgasms I did get changed, they felt much more drawn out and more 'buzzy'. I quite enjoyed that.

Didn't really do much for my mood though except to make me more nervy and hyper.
Carmina is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-13-2017, 04:29 AM   #9
Member
scarlett35 has no updates.
 
Member Since: May 2017
Posts: 167
Default Re: Problems with "the big o" now I'm on citalopram

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOLO Lady View Post
I had the same exact problem but was on some other type of med, not the one that you're on. I told my p-doc and she switched me to Wellbutrin which does not have that side effect. Maybe try another drug, til you find one that works and does not have a sexual side effect.
Thank you! I didn't think about maybe trying a different kind of pill. I've only been taking it for a few weeks so I might give it a tad longer and see if it settles! I'm sure last time there was a slight improvement as time went by but can't remember for sure!
scarlett35 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-13-2017, 04:30 AM   #10
Member
scarlett35 has no updates.
 
Member Since: May 2017
Posts: 167
Default Re: Problems with "the big o" now I'm on citalopram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmina View Post
In the meantime ask hubby to get his O out of the way earlier so he can pay all his attention to you, slowly
Hahaha maybe I will have a chat with him about this later or maybe need more prior stuff so that I'm almost there by the time the deed comes around
scarlett35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp

Helplines and Lifelines