Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Women-Focused Support

advertisement
Unread 08-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
Elder

*Laurie* is a NAMI group facilitator.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,897 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Period Madness

Okay, so, my periods were always regular. Then about 2 years ago I started having periods every 3 weeks. (I'm now 54.) My gyn put me on a mini-pill. That regulated my periods. I was on it for a year, but had to stop taking it because my sister had had breast cancer and my gyn didn't want me on the mini-pill for longer than a year due to cancer risk.

Then I had one ovary and my Fallopian tubes removed (benign cyst on ovary).

I had 2 or 3 periods that were light, then no periods at all for 14 months. I didn't know whether or not I was in menopause, because while I wasn't having periods I also wasn't having other menopause symptoms. In fact, I seemed to be ovulating fairly regularly.

All of a sudden, 3 months ago I had a period that was heavy and seemed like the periods I used to have. 6 weeks later, another one. 3 weeks later, another one - and this one was very heavy for the first 2 days.

I have an appointment with my GP on Monday for a pap smear and will, of course, discuss what's going on with her.

I'm wondering if any other women here have had a similar situation - period returning after a year of no period - and, if so, what did your doctor do?

advertisement
Unread 08-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
Elder

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,897 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Period Madness

Anyone? Experiences, thoughts, suggestions, well wishes?
Unread 08-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
Grand Magnate

prefabsprout is feeling better these days

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,098 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I don't know anything about the possible medical reasons, all I know is after one whole year without periods Drs call this menopause so it is unusual to start up again.

Think you are doing the right thing telling your Dr, I would hope they'll investigate why your periods started up again.
prefabsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Elder

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,897 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you prefabsprout. I appreciate your comment. I'm just so frustrated with this situation, and trying not to be afraid, but it's unnerving
Unread 08-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
Living Entity

IrisBloom fell off the unicorn, but will be back on shortly

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,481 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I had one last, heavy, long hurrah after going 11 months, then no more. It is different with each woman. I'd say you are in the last stages of peri-menopause. (I was 54 when I had my last.) Seeing the doc about it is wise, as there could be more going on.
Hugs from:
Unread 08-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
Elder

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,897 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thanks so much, IrisBloom. I saw my GP, had a pap smear and blood work. She has referred me to have an ultrasound and possibly a biopsy. She said she thinks I have either a polyp (uterine) or uterine hyperplasia. Either one of those mean surgery. I asked her if it could possibly be a last 'hormonal hurrah', but she said no, definitely not. Buuut...she's not a gyn. I'll be glad when I get in to talk with a gyn.

I'm scared, especially because my precious older sister had breast cancer when she was my age, then died of cancer last autumn. But I'm trying not to freak out. I just feel exhausted at this point, wish I could crawl in bed and sleep for days. *sigh*

Thank you both so much for caring enough to answer my post.
Unread 08-15-2017, 02:25 AM   #7
Legendary

possum220 has no updates.

8 yr Member
2,700 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I can identify with the 'Period Madness' title. None of this is fun Laurie. I was beginning to think that 2017 was the year (not week) of the period. It never really seemed to take a break up until 7 weeks ago now. I had talked to my doctor, who is no gyno, about things and had my blood tested for iron levels.

My iron levels were low and I had and infusion last week. I also had some other blood tests which seemed to indicate a slight change in my thyroid levels. He said I should wait another three months before I have another blood test. Today I fell asleep in the car park again. Wondering if I need a second opinion or what.

This time of life is kind of like when it all starts and you never know what to expect because it has never happened before. And here we go again decades later on the other end and things still not knowing what is normal and what isn't.

It is good that you are being wise and having tests done. I am sorry that you lost your sister and can't talk to her anymore or compare notes about life in general and especially the female side of life.

Will a gyny be doing the surgeries and do you have any indication of how long it will take to get an appointment?

My thoughts are with you.

possum220 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 08-15-2017, 02:36 AM   #8
Grand Magnate

prefabsprout is feeling better these days

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,098 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Laurie a friend was diagnosed with a polyp last year because at 59 after many years of no bleeding she started bleeding again. In her case she had a procedure to remove the polyp but it came back and so she had a hysterectomy. She is now fully recovered and very well.

I'm glad you are having these investigations done, and hope you will soon be on track for sorting this out.
prefabsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #9
Elder

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,897 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum220 View Post
I can identify with the 'Period Madness' title. None of this is fun Laurie. I was beginning to think that 2017 was the year (not week) of the period. It never really seemed to take a break up until 7 weeks ago now. I had talked to my doctor, who is no gyno, about things and had my blood tested for iron levels.

My iron levels were low and I had and infusion last week. I also had some other blood tests which seemed to indicate a slight change in my thyroid levels. He said I should wait another three months before I have another blood test. Today I fell asleep in the car park again. Wondering if I need a second opinion or what.

This time of life is kind of like when it all starts and you never know what to expect because it has never happened before. And here we go again decades later on the other end and things still not knowing what is normal and what isn't.

It is good that you are being wise and having tests done. I am sorry that you lost your sister and can't talk to her anymore or compare notes about life in general and especially the female side of life.

Will a gyny be doing the surgeries and do you have any indication of how long it will take to get an appointment?

My thoughts are with you.
Thank you so muc for your input, possum.

I'm so sorry you're having a rough go of it. Menopause sure is tough, and because it's not really talked about, I think we're at a disadvantage. Everything is scary, because how do we know what's-what? It's like walking in the dark with our eyes closed. And yes, the exhaustion.

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to see a gyno. It sounds like you're run down to the ground
Unread 08-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
Elder

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,897 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefabsprout View Post
Laurie a friend was diagnosed with a polyp last year because at 59 after many years of no bleeding she started bleeding again. In her case she had a procedure to remove the polyp but it came back and so she had a hysterectomy. She is now fully recovered and very well.

I'm glad you are having these investigations done, and hope you will soon be on track for sorting this out.
Thank you again, prefabsprout. My feeling at this point is that whatever they tell me, I'd like to have my uterus removed. I dread going through all these weird symptoms for years. Thanks so much