Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Women-Focused Support

advertisement
Unread 03-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
Emily Fox Seaton has no updates.

7 hugs
given
Default Perimenapause / Menapause

I am 46 and only since July of last year have things been happening. Last July I skipped my period (first time ever) and when I got it again in September it was BRUTAL. I think I had like 5 days of phantom period before starting the period. Since that time i have been skipping regularly. But since January things have been weird. For instance in February I got my period, full flow, and two weeks later I got, what I thought was my period, but was extremely lite and only three days. Then, 2 weeks later I got the full period that, kind of doesn't particularly end. I mean, it ended after 5 days and for two days afterward I keep lightly spotting just enough to see on toilet paper.

Last September when I was having my phantom pain, I didn't know what was going on. I went to the doctor and, because she wasn't sure what was up, and I have been having lower back pain for a year... I got a vaginal ultrasound. It came back normal but I ordered the report and a lot of it wasn't "normal" it was... we can't see well. They couldn't see my ovaries due to fibroids blocking it. But they said my uterus was fine. My doctor just thought the back pain was muscular because it doesn't hurt if it is supported (lying down or sitting).

My question is... is this something I should bring up with my doctor or just normal menopause things. I get the feeling if I bring it up again, I will end up with another ultrasound that may or may not... tell me anything.
Emily Fox Seaton is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 03-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Grand Magnate

BeyondtheRainbow has no updates.

My Mood:

782 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Perimenapause / Menapause

It seems like checking the fibroids out might be a good thing. I know they can cause increased bleeding and weird periods. I had "just" a polyp when I was starting perimenopause and it did horrible things to my periods. I eventually had it removed.
Meds: Clozaril 275 mg, Emsam 12 mg, gabapentin 1000 mg bedtime & 100 PRN twice daily, topamax 25 mg, klonopin 2 mg/1mg PRN, valium 5 mg PRN, hydroxyzine 25 mg PRN, lots of vitamins and meds for side effects

BeyondtheRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #3

7 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheRainbow View Post
It seems like checking the fibroids out might be a good thing. I know they can cause increased bleeding and weird periods. I had "just" a polyp when I was starting perimenopause and it did horrible things to my periods. I eventually had it removed.
Well they could see the fibroids and they haven't really gotten much bigger. I have had them for at least 15 years. I have never had mid term bleeding.
Unread 03-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
Poohbah

BlueEyedMama has no updates.

My Mood:

206 hugs
given

I went through the change early at the age of 42 and as it was beginning my period got real wacky. Sometimes it was super heavy and other times barely anything at all. The timing was all off. They did a bunch of tests and concluded that it was just hormone related and part of it all. If the pain persists I would see the Doc again. I am now dealing with extremely heavy bleeding 2 weeks of the month after going 2.5 years with no bleeding. The Doc swears that I have already been through the change since I went past the 12 month standard of no bleeding. She has no idea why I am bleeding again after all this time so she has ordered a bunch of tests. One thing I have concluded after all of this is that I'll never truly understand my body.
BlueEyedMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #5

7 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedMama View Post
I went past the 12 month standard of no bleeding. She has no idea why I am bleeding again after all this time so she has ordered a bunch of tests. One thing I have concluded after all of this is that I'll never truly understand my body.
It is no wonder that women don't get to the doctor for dangerous things when, for about 10 years, your period can be all over the place. I have an appointment with my doctor about something else and I might mention it but I do not want to undergo all these tests that might not be necessary.

I hope that this is just the final death knell of your change and doctors don't always know everything.
Unread 03-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
Grand Magnate

*Laurie* a proud mom.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,268 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I think you should follow through with your doctor and figure out what's going on. When I was 52 my periods were all over the place. It turned out that I had a cyst on my ovary, so had to have my ovary and Fallopian tubes removed. Then my gyn put me on a low-dose birth control pill. That regulated my periods so I just had one per month. Took the pill for a year, then stopped. That wa sa year ago and I haven't had a period since. I'm 54.

~Breathe in joy and strength,
Breathe out wisdom and peace~
*Laurie* is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: