Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Transgender & Other Gender Support

advertisement
Unread 06-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
Newly Joined

Jordyj1806 has no updates.

Default I'm transgender and want advice

Hi, my name is Jordan and I'm 13 years old, soon to be 14. I am biologically male but long to be a female and have come to terms with being transgender, however I don't know how to come out to my parents.
During my life I went through a phase where I believed I was gay due to these feelings that I now know are caused by me longing to be a female. I talked to my parents about the subject and they said that I was too young to be labelling myself like that. However, now that I am transgender i am scared to come out to them as I'm afraid they may shoot me down again. I know this is who I am and I want support, does anyone have any ideas on what to do?
Jordyj1806 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 06-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
Reclusive Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

7,773 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: I'm transgender and want advice

Hello Jordy: I see this is your first post here on PC. So... to PsychCentral… from the Skeezyks! May the time you spend here be of benefit.

Well... I don't know if I have any particularly great suggestions. One thought would be that, sometimes, it's easier to get into a conversation such as this by watching a video or film on the subject together. So one idea might be to find a video on YouTube... perhaps a documentary on being transgender. Watch it with either your mom or your dad or both & use it as a starting point for discussion regarding how you feel.

I'm an old man now. But gender identity dysphoria is something I've struggled with my entire life. My parents are now long since gone. And I never did anything about my own GID & never told them. I think it would be great if you could! So I wish you great success with this.

PsychCentral is a great place to get information as well as support for mental health issues. The more you post, & reply to other members’ posts, the more a part of the community you will become. Plus there are social groups you can join & chat rooms where you’ll be able to connect with other PC members in real time (once your first 5 posts have been reviewed & approved.) Lots of great stuff! So please keep posting!
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
Reclusive Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

7,773 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: I'm transgender and want advice

Hey Jordy... I don't know if you're still with us... but I found this video on YouTube & thought it might be of help to you. It's a video on how to tell your parents you're trans. It's by Dara Hoffman-Fox. Dara's a gender therapist in Colorado. She also has a lot of other videos on her YouTube channel that may be of interest as well. Also take a look at the thumbnails along the right-hand side of the screen. There's apparently a 50+ YouTube-generated playlist of videos related to the subject of telling your parents you're trans.

https://youtu.be/3_eQr6jmmBY

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC75...wYHGQlc4w3-GGw
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #4

Keyplayer has no updates.

My Mood:

91 hugs
given
Default Re: I'm transgender and want advice

A , BTW , reply to this thread:

Gender Dysphoria , if we refer to the text , defines a situation whereas a person does not feel correct in the body or sex they were born with.

I am 64 and at this time will say no more

However , I can say that I am over joyed by the way the World Health Org. has suggested a discontinuation of the term "gender identity disorder" as it refers to a condition rather than a fact.

Folks having GD are no longer alone , however many still feel that they are. There are many who are unaware of the changes of thought , as it where. That are causing distress , both physical and mental.

For individuals going through such distress , I suggest "Google" as you will find a great many changes in even the past 10 years towards GD or "trans"

If you should feel this way , it`s ok , you are not nuts , you don`t have a condition that needs radical treatment and there is help.

"Be not ashamed of who you are , however be proud of whom you may be come" ref:G.S.I.

I hope I have helped

KP 
Keyplayer is online now   Reply With Quote