Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 07-27-2018, 10:29 PM   #1
NavyNewt101
Newly Joined
NavyNewt101 has no updates.

Confused Wow I don't know who could have seen this coming

My sanity scores a 194. I sure thought that what I was experiencing in life was normal. The site says to get a doctor or a mental health professional, such as a psychiatrist. I have no trust in my doctors or psychiatrists. Are there alternative solutions? God doesn't exist so please don't bring up religion. Anything that actually would work is a welcome answer. How do I get a better sanity score? I know I could lie... If this quiz is to be taken seriously, then what could I do better my conditions?
NavyNewt101 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #2
TheLonelyChemist
Poohbah

TheLonelyChemist Death and love are the two wings that bear the good man to heaven

My Mood: Wow I don't know who could have seen this coming

1,314 hugs
given
Default Re: Wow I don't know who could have seen this coming

Well, I cannot lecture you about trusting doctors and mental health professionals, it's your choice. However, what you need to understand, it's just a quiz and its results should not cause anxiety to you. It's not a substitute for a psychiatrist's diagnosis and you shouldn't overthink about it.
"I don't fear death so much as I fear its prologues: loneliness, decrepitude, pain, debilitation, depression, senility. After a few years of those, I imagine death presents like a holiday at the beach."
TheLonelyChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
Skeezyks
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

3 yr Member
11.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Wow I don't know who could have seen this coming

Hello NavyNewt: I see this is your first post here on PC. So... welcome to PsychCentral! I hope you find PC to be of benefit.

With regard to your Sanity Score test results, I do think you should not take your test results too seriously. It's not definitive. My personal non-professional perspective is that your individual sub-scores may be of more significance than your total score. They tell which areas are of particular concern. On the other hand, a total score of 194 would, I would presume, give one pause. So I do understand your concern.

You wrote you don't trust doctors, including psychiatrists. I can understand that. I don't have a lot of trust either. And, by the way, I'm not a religious person either. So you won't get any religion-related suggestions from me. I have been known to recommend the writings of the Buddhist nun Pema Chödrön who teaches the ancient Tibetan Buddhist practices referred to as "Lojong" (mind training.) But one doesn't have to be a Buddhist to use these practices. They're all very down-to-earth, as the saying goes.

I don't know if your aversion to doctors extends to mental health therapists as well. Therapy is sort-of the other leg, so to speak, of mental health services along with psychiatric medications. I, of course, don't know how these sorts of things work where you live. But where I live, most psychiatrists just prescribe & monitor psych med's. They don't do any kind of therapy or counseling. That is all left to mental health therapists for the most part & perhaps, on occasion, psychologists. But anyway, before you would consider seeing a psychiatrist, it would be my personal non-professional suggestion that you find a therapist you feel comfortable with & spend some time with that person delving into what's going on with you.

You asked what you can do to better your conditions. Since I don't know what your conditions are, I would not really be able to say. And besides, as I mentioned, I'm not a mental health professional. So I can't really offer anything substantive anyway. There are, in some cases, natural remedies people employ in an effort to address such conditions as depression & anxiety. However I don't know if these are things that are of concern to you.

The thing is, though, what I sometimes see is that people are looking for some solution to their mental health issues that doesn't involve the traditional mental health services system. They imagine there must be some secret remedy out there that, if they could just discover it, would make everything better. But the fact is (at least in my humble opinion) there is not. And spending time, energy & resources searching for it simply eats up time, energy & resources. However, there again, that's just my personal perspective on the situation. I'm no lover of the mental health services system either. I don't see a therapist or a psychiatrist & I'm not on any kinds of medications. (I have been in the past.) But I also understand that there aren't really any genuine alternatives out there either. So I simply choose to live with things the way they are. This works for me though because I'm old. I could not recommend it for a younger person.

Anyway, these are my thoughts with regard to your post. Spending time, here on PC, reading through the threads in the various forums that relate to your concerns may help you to get a clearer picture of what you are dealing with & possible remedies. I wish you well...

P.S. I noticed you have a street address listed in the location section of your post. The forums, here on PC, are searchable on the internet. So if this is your real street address, you may wish to remove it.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 08-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Fuzzybear
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
45.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Old 08-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
thekingof8

thekingof8 Kilroy was here

Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way

3 yr Member
3 hugs
given

As TheLonelyChemist said, take it with a grain of salt. It's more of a way to point you in certain direction than to diagnose.
thekingof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: