Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 12-06-2017, 12:05 AM   #1
Stressing-Lizard
Newly Joined
Stressing-Lizard has no updates.

Default Hi I知 new and in need of serious mental health advice

Hi I知 new and in need of help badly.
So lately I have been getting a ton of panic attacks that are becoming increasingly painful when they occur. I don稚 have therapy anymore because my therapist retired a while ago and my senior high school stress is so high that I知 worried I might give myself ulcers. Please someone give me some advice to help deal with my stress or offer ideas of what to do to deal with my stress.
Stressing-Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 12-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
Skeezyks
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
11.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Hi I知 new and in need of serious mental health advice

Hello Stressing: I'm actually not supposed to be here in the Teen lounge. (I'm an old goat!) But I noticed this is your first post here on PC & no one has greeted you. So... welcome to PsychCentral! I hope you find the time you spend here to be of benefit. May I suggest you introduce yourself over on PC's New Member Introductions forum? Here's a link:

https://forums.psychcentral.com/new-...introductions/

There's a lot of support that can be available here on PC. The more you post, & reply to other members' posts, the more a part of the community you will become. Plus there are the chat rooms where you'll be able to interact with other PC members in real time (once your first 5 posts have been reviewed & approved.) So please keep posting!
Skeezyks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:56 AM   #3
Princesa7

Princesa7 has no updates.

My Mood:

10 hugs
given
Default Re: Hi I知 new and in need of serious mental health advice

Hello Stressing, welcome to PS and I hope you will stay and get help on this lovely forum as we progress in our every day lives.

I'm a professional musician and used to get close to having panic attacks before our concerts, but found a breathing technique that helped me a lot. It comes in very handy before I go onstage to do a concert, for stage fright would get the better of me, so I've adopted this easy technique though there are pros and cons.

The deep breathing technique:

You can either do this standing up or lying down, but you must have a straight back. You can also sit doing this technique, but you must still have a straight back to allow for air to get into your lungs more easily.

Firstly, breath in through your nose slowly, filling up your body from the bottom of your stomach upwards. Before letting the air out, hold it for a second or two, then slowly if you can, exhale. Repeating this method was a big success for me, because it helped me cope with pre-concert nerves, whereas my sisters use this deep breathing technique to help them before commencing exams. This same deep breathing technique can help school and college students with their pile of coursework. Personally, this technique has allowed me more space to think, like when after a concert I go to rest and relax.

Pros: This method can be done anywhere, whether it be before an exam, during work, before an interview for a job - any stressful moment you can think of. After doing this a few times you will become accustomed to this deep breathing technique, so becoming less stressed and begin to find it easier to deal with stressful situations as they arise.

Not only does it cope with stress, it can also help calm down from panic attacks, anxiety, depression, anger. This will most likely be the same for all relaxation methods.

Cons: Overdoing this method could lead to dizzyness. If you experience this, take the breathing exercise more slowly because perhaps you were going too fast. If you're still feeling dizzy after taking it as slow as you can, then I would advise not carrying on with this method.

The second is takes advantage of your imagination. If you have the time, you can imagine yourself in your favourite, most relaxing place you can think of. This could be anywhere - as long as it is relaxing.

I like to imagine I'm sitting on the beach watching the sea's dead flat calm. The water is silvery and sparkles when the suns shines on it. A shoal of mackerel disturbs the calm sea, sending ever-widening ripples out til they become part of the dead flat calm of my silvery, sparkly sea. I breathe in the sea air and love the salty smell; and slowly breathe out. In the distance out on the horizon, I see a ship and it, too, takes on this silvery colour and all feels good when I hear the seagulls overhead.

You can come up with your own one, ie. like if you find snow relaxing, then use snow as your main theme.

Another technique is stroking a pet, be it a cat or a dog. Cats give out comforting purrs. Dogs loll back so we can stroke their chests and tummies, or taking the dog for a walk and see it enjoying itself.

Pros: Pets, for the most part, are extremely loyal and will never leave you, never saying anything to put you down or anger you. Granted, it may pee on the carpet when a puppy or a kitten, but that is all part of raising an animal.

Cons: As mentioned in the pros, it will take a long time to train your pet if you buy it young and untrained. So, this method could make your life even more stressful if it's a kitten tearing up the back of your sofa. XD

The other method is listening to music, be it Baroque or classical piano, or a more modern genre of music providing it's not too bangy.

Obviously, if we begin thinking negatively and are quite pessimistic, we may be more prone to stress. There again, optimistic people who look on the bright side of everything and only look forward are far less prone from stress, and out of this mindset usually comes something really good. So, if possible, try to become more positive in your thinking, as I have done and feel so much better.

I'll be away for this weekend starting tonight as have a concert in town. Then we go home for the weekend to Majorca, so hopefully we can catch up next week on your progress with these breathing techniques.

All the best,
Julie
The greatest female power is empathy to create relationships on a personal level. It's better for a woman to come across as more nurturing, more warm, and that is going to lend more success to her than for a man doing the same thing.
Princesa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:09 AM   #4
Teddy Bear
Poohbah

Teddy Bear has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,010 hugs
given

Welcome to PC
Old 01-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Fuzzybear
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
44k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Welcome to pc Stressing, I知 also not a teen but want to welcome you. There is a lot of good support here, in different forums

This particular forum tends to be quiet, at this time.