Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Teens' Lounge

advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
Kowareta has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
21 hugs
given
Arrow Does anyone else hate music suggestions?

I absolutely love listening to music and I'm always looking for new songs and bands, but I always find myself never listening to or liking music suggestions, even if the band/song is exactly the type of music I listen to. Sometimes someone will suggest a band/song and I hate it, but months later I come across it myself and completely adore it. I think I've finally figured out why.

To me, music is very intimate. I listen to music to express my emotions and put into words things I otherwise can't. I usually find and connect with music depending on what is going on with my life at the time and how I'm feeling. If I'm happy overall, I might find myself listening to happy, upbeat songs. If I'm feeling depressed, I might find myself listening to heavy metal. If I'm anxious, I'll listen to something like Twenty One Pilots.

The reason I don't like music: I don't like others telling me what to feel. A lot of people listen for the beat or maybe the lyrics, but they aren't as personal as me. It's like they're telling me "hey feel this way" or even if someone said "I bought you this underwear please where it." Music to me is intimate, private, and a very personal experience. I don't like people telling me what to listen to or how to feel about it.

As a side note, this is why I hate music bashing. I'll joke that country is the worst (I only think that because the lyrics are repetitive and I can never connect to them), but I would never bash someone for listening to it. If that person connects and expresses themselves over country songs, then that's their own thing. I have no right to judge something that I believe to be personal.
Kowareta is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 03-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

joacobanfield has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
127 hugs
given
Default Re: Does anyone else hate music suggestions?

I feel that way too. I understand you.

I love to help. If you need some kind of support, I'm open to PMs, and quite active at them.
joacobanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #3

craft09 has no updates.

Same thing..
craft09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
kiwiwings has no updates.

My Mood:

6 hugs
given

I get that too, especially if the person who suggested it keeps looking at me for my reaction.
kiwiwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:39 AM   #5

Princesa7 has no updates.

My Mood:

10 hugs
given

I feel differently. Though loving my chosen genre, I appreciate someone asking me an opinion on their's because they have made an effort into getting to know me more and are taking interest in music as a whole.

I'm a professional musician and have an established band. If fans ask me for an opinion, then they might receive what they expect. I would no way be rude or arrogant, but give reasons for liking or disliking as it will help them.

I agree with the OP about music bashing. I may have a dislike for a particular genre, but no way would i wish to insult another musician's choice.

Julie
The greatest female power is empathy to create relationships on a personal level. It's better for a woman to come across as more nurturing, more warm, and that is going to lend more success to her than for a man doing the same thing.
Princesa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #6

Welp 36 Life is a Game

My Mood:

4 hugs
given

I can be like that if someone doesn't know me very well. However, if someone I'm close to, or if I ask for them. I can enjoy it. I agree with you that music is very intimate.
Welp 36 is offline   Reply With Quote