Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #1
Buffy01
Magnate
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,201 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Gaining self esteem

3,327 hugs
given
Default Gaining self esteem

How does a person gain self esteem? I had read lot of books and YouTube video. What step would I need to take to have self esteem!
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 12-30-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
HopefullyLost1211
Grand Member
 
HopefullyLost1211's Avatar
HopefullyLost1211 is bereft
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: Planet Hope
Posts: 839 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Gaining self esteem

1,294 hugs
given
Default Re: Gaining self esteem

Tips for Building Self-Esteem

That's an article with strategies.

Here's my own personal method of building or maintaining my self-esteem:

*tell myself every day that my worth is intrinsic no matter what happens
*write down 3 things I like about myself every night and read them first thing in the morning before I get out of bed
*write down 5 things I'm grateful for every day
*daily guided meditation on good thoughts and good energy
*go on adventures (big or small)...push beyond my comfort zone
*when I think terrible things about myself, I remind myself that these are only thoughts, I do not have to believe them. Remember that I remain a valuable and powerful being in the Universe.
*do kind things for others just because
*spend time with positive people who value themselves
*limit or avoid time with negative, hateful people
*take time to remember any nice thing anyone ever said or did for me
*indulge my inner child (safely) just because, e.g splash in a puddle, do a silly dance, sing out loud, buy a goofy item just because it makes me smile etc
HopefullyLost1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-30-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
HopefullyLost1211
Grand Member
 
HopefullyLost1211's Avatar
HopefullyLost1211 is bereft
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: Planet Hope
Posts: 839 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Gaining self esteem

1,294 hugs
given
Default Re: Gaining self esteem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy01 View Post
How does a person gain self esteem? I had read lot of books and YouTube video. What step would I need to take to have self esteem!

Great goal! I believe that a positive relationship with the self is the foundation for peace and happiness. Good luck Buffy
HopefullyLost1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-31-2018, 02:39 AM   #4
Anonymous57375
Guest
Anonymous57375 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Gaining self esteem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy01 View Post
How does a person gain self esteem? I had read lot of books and YouTube video. What step would I need to take to have self esteem!
It seems to me self-esteem is more of a perception of self more than anything else. You could be good at many things but not be confident. Now the question is how to change that perception? I don't know.
  Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
KnitChick
Grand Member
 
KnitChick's Avatar
KnitChick has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: US
Posts: 958 (SuperPoster!)
999 hugs
given
Default Re: Gaining self esteem

I find that for me, self esteem is an ongoing process. Things I have done / things I do: face something I'm nervous about but that I want to do (this can also have the opposite effect. it's best to be careful with this imo), read about self esteem, exercise, be around people who I like and who like me and are nice (people who build you up). Also coming to terms that its not all my fault that I struggle. When I learned about ableism (and how society is not set up for those with any kind of disability), sexism (patriarchal society), my upbringing (not to blame my parents now, but they were not a good fit for me growing up)...it was a really empowering feeling.
KnitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-31-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
Buffy01
Magnate
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,201 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Gaining self esteem

3,327 hugs
given
Default Re: Gaining self esteem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyLost1211 View Post
Tips for Building Self-Esteem

That's an article with strategies.

Here's my own personal method of building or maintaining my self-esteem:

*tell myself every day that my worth is intrinsic no matter what happens
*write down 3 things I like about myself every night and read them first thing in the morning before I get out of bed
*write down 5 things I'm grateful for every day
*daily guided meditation on good thoughts and good energy
*go on adventures (big or small)...push beyond my comfort zone
*when I think terrible things about myself, I remind myself that these are only thoughts, I do not have to believe them. Remember that I remain a valuable and powerful being in the Universe.
*do kind things for others just because
*spend time with positive people who value themselves
*limit or avoid time with negative, hateful people
*take time to remember any nice thing anyone ever said or did for me
*indulge my inner child (safely) just because, e.g splash in a puddle, do a silly dance, sing out loud, buy a goofy item just because it makes me smile etc
I will try to use those.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:02 PM   #7
Buffy01
Magnate
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,201 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Gaining self esteem

3,327 hugs
given
Default Re: Gaining self esteem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyLost1211 View Post
Great goal! I believe that a positive relationship with the self is the foundation for peace and happiness. Good luck Buffy
Thank you! I am starting on my new year reap early!
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
Buffy01
Magnate
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,201 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Gaining self esteem

3,327 hugs
given
Default Re: Gaining self esteem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Nom View Post
It seems to me self-esteem is more of a perception of self more than anything else. You could be good at many things but not be confident. Now the question is how to change that perception? I don't know.
I will keep that in mind!
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:04 PM   #9
Buffy01
Magnate
Buffy01 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,201 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Gaining self esteem

3,327 hugs
given
Default Re: Gaining self esteem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitChick View Post
I find that for me, self esteem is an ongoing process. Things I have done / things I do: face something I'm nervous about but that I want to do (this can also have the opposite effect. it's best to be careful with this imo), read about self esteem, exercise, be around people who I like and who like me and are nice (people who build you up). Also coming to terms that its not all my fault that I struggle. When I learned about ableism (and how society is not set up for those with any kind of disability), sexism (patriarchal society), my upbringing (not to blame my parents now, but they were not a good fit for me growing up)...it was a really empowering feeling.
Thank you! I will keep that in mind.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:00 AM   #10
sarahsweets
Poohbah
 
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets Humor is my end game..
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,065 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Gaining self esteem

77 hugs
given
Default Re: Gaining self esteem

Try not to judge yourself by your mistakes.
__________________
"I carried a watermelon?"

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.




advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp


 
Helplines and Lifelines