Magnate
Buffy01 has no updates.

My Mood: The Self-Compassion Thread

3,327 hugs
given
Default Re: The Self-Compassion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous50909 View Post
I will try to post here daily. Feel free to join in.

Some things to ponder:

How were you compassionate with yourself today?
What can you be gentler on yourself with?
What are your strengths?
Why are you awesome?
How were you kind to yourself today?
How did you love yourself today?
How can you make things easier for yourself today?

Self-Compassion Exercises by Dr. Kristin Neff
Thank you for giving me something to think about that is new to try out.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-08-2019, 12:38 AM   #122
ennie

ennie has no updates.

586 hugs
given

It's okay to take care of my own needs. Unless it's truly an urgent matter, I don't need to "jump on it" as soon as someone demands my attention or help.
I don't need to reply immediately to non-urgent/ non-professional texts, voice mails, or emails; or even pick up the phone when I am exhausted and really, really need my rest. It's okay to respond later.
ennie is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #123
KnitChick
Grand Member

KnitChick has no updates.

999 hugs
given

Hugs to everyone here today.

Today I officially joined the church I've been going to for 2 years. I'm the first new member of 2019!

Currently drinking hot chocolate and resting. I've been needing a lot of that lately. #SelfCare
KnitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #124
may24

may24 has no updates.

2 yr Member
396 hugs
given

I've just found this thread and I'm glad I that did I need to work on self-compassion and forgiving myself.
Today I was feeling very tired and I took care of myself by staying home and resting, and letting myself cry when I needed to (and not judging myself or getting upset).
I also had pizza for dinner and skipped the gym and I didn't beat myself up for it
may24 is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #125
possum220
Legendary

possum220 has no updates.

10 yr Member
4,266 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I just found this thread. Yay! I need to be kinder to myself. The goat track in my head very quickly goes to the negative and critical within point zero of a second. These thoughts seem so constant that the very idea of tackling them seems impossible. Why is it so much easier to be kinder to other people than myself? I would never dare to say to others what I say to myself. The task itself seems enormous.

Where do I start?
possum220 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #126
KnitChick
Grand Member

999 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by may24 View Post
I've just found this thread and I'm glad I that did I need to work on self-compassion and forgiving myself.
Today I was feeling very tired and I took care of myself by staying home and resting, and letting myself cry when I needed to (and not judging myself or getting upset).
I also had pizza for dinner and skipped the gym and I didn't beat myself up for it
I'm glad you're here May I started this thread way back in 2017, and I'm still working on self compassion in my own personal life. Self forgiveness sounds wonderful. There are whole books written on forgiveness. I think it goes very hand in hand with self compassion.

I love that you did not judge yourself. I find for myself that can be hard. However when I do do it, I'm like, Knitchick for the win! Pizza sounds great
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #127
KnitChick
Grand Member

999 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum220 View Post
I just found this thread. Yay! I need to be kinder to myself. The goat track in my head very quickly goes to the negative and critical within point zero of a second. These thoughts seem so constant that the very idea of tackling them seems impossible. Why is it so much easier to be kinder to other people than myself? I would never dare to say to others what I say to myself. The task itself seems enormous.

Where do I start?
Hi Possum! Welcome aboard When you asked "Where to start?" the first thing that popped into my head was the way we talk to ourselves. It was an idea that was introduced to me a few years ago. When I say that, I mean, tone of voice, and yes, what we say to ourselves as well. The way it was introduced to me was "imagine you are someone's loving mother, or that you have a loving mother or parental figure speaking to you." I also really have gotten a lot out of Kristen Neff's book Self Compassion as well as her website, Self-Compassion I think the website may be more helpful in some respects because it seems to break things down, make them simpler, and has exercises / practices anyone can try.

I hope I helped. Feel free to bring up questions and comments. Have a great day.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #128
possum220
Legendary

possum220 has no updates.

10 yr Member
4,266 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thanks for the welcome and the link KnitChick. Did you get the work book? I signed up for the site.

I think it will take very deliberate actions or thoughts to change. Maybe even acceptance of myself and being curious why I think some things. I am very much beginning a work in progress as we all are.
possum220 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #129
may24

may24 has no updates.

2 yr Member
396 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitChick View Post
I'm glad you're here May I started this thread way back in 2017, and I'm still working on self compassion in my own personal life. Self forgiveness sounds wonderful. There are whole books written on forgiveness. I think it goes very hand in hand with self compassion.

I love that you did not judge yourself. I find for myself that can be hard. However when I do do it, I'm like, Knitchick for the win! Pizza sounds great
Thank you! You're so kind The Self-Compassion Thread. I think it's a good idea to keep track of the little things we do to each day to take care of ourselves. I've been doing positive affirmations lately and now I'm trying to keep a journal where I write the things I'm grateful for.
That sounds interesting. Do you have any book recommendations?
I've struggled with feelings of guilt and shame my whole life... and unfortunately I went through a few bad experiences recently that triggered some stuff from the past. I want to be able to let go and stop blaming myself for things I can not control.
Thanks for your support I hope you're doing well
may24 is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #130
KnitChick
Grand Member

999 hugs
given

Need to take some time for myself today but I will try to respond tomorrow or Monday. Have a good weekend.
Hugs from: