Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Steps to Better Self-Esteem

advertisement
Unread 03-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
Big Poppa

CantExplain has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
12k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Where does self-worth come from?

Where does self-worth come from?

advertisement
Unread 03-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
Poohbah
leejosepho has no updates.

Default Re: Where does self-worth come from?

Affirmations and confirmations from others can certainly help make a difference, but maintaining a clear conscience before our Maker is the biggest thing that makes the biggest difference for me.
| manic-depressive with psychotic tendencies (1977) | chronic alcoholism (1981) | Asperger burnout (2010) | mood disorder - nos / personality disorder - nos / generalized anxiety disorder (2011) | chronic back pain / peripheral neuropathy / partial visual impairment | Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors (incurable cancer) |
leejosepho is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #3
Grand Magnate

Starry_Night is worn out

My Mood:

5 yr Member
733 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

may trigger-- religious

my worth and value comes from what God says about me in the Bible. He says I am fearfully and wonderfully made,that I was put hee for a reason. that He loves me, that He made me, that He thinks about me. i dont compare myself to others, nor do i worry about what other people think lf me.
People can think whatever they want. I know what God says about me. Thats where my worth and value comes from.
Starry_Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 03-25-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
Grand Magnate

childofchaos831 has no updates.

My Mood:

11 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

As a non-religious person, this question is a little difficult for me to answer.

Some people do get the sense of worth from whatever religion they subscribe to, and I respect that.

I, however, don't believe in a traditional God. I am not atheist or agnostic. I am spiritual and have a belief of my own that I do adhere to, but I don't gather my worth as a person from that belief.

I hold to the fact that every person is born with the same amount of worth as any other person. Our actions as human beings do not add to or take away from that worth.

I am no more worthy than a drug addiction begging for money on the corner and no less worthy than the billionaire donating millions to feed the hungry. We are all worthy.

Put a man in front of me, and tell me he seriously hurt someone. Does he deserve to be punished? Yes. Does it make him any less worthy of life? No.

I do, still, have days where I feel less than other people, less worthy... even though I feel less worthy, my worth has not changed. My perception of it has.

Diagnoses:
Schizoaffective Bipolar, C-PTSD, DID, Major Anxiety, Chronic Pain
childofchaos831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
Grand Magnate
TrailRunner14 has no updates.

My Mood:

270 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

To me, I believe it comes from where the desire of your true heart is rooted in.

Sometimes, maybe, it's not understood until a shattering is realized and you understand what your self worth really is to you.

"Hope knows that if great trials are avoided, great deeds remain undone and the possibility of growth into greatness of soul is aborted." - Brennan Manning
TrailRunner14 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 03-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #6
Wise Elder

Rose76 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,371 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
Affirmations and confirmations from others can certainly help make a difference, but maintaining a clear conscience before our Maker is the biggest thing that makes the biggest difference for me.
What man has a clear conscience before his Maker?
Rose76 is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #7
Magnate

Onward2wards has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,926 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Good question. My thoughts on what increases self-worth:

* Living up to your own values
* Managing yourself well - not too impulsive, not too inhibited
* Quality connections with other people (i.e., you are not socially isolated, you treat them well, and they are supportive and friendly)
* Encouraging feedback from other people (frequent criticism, rejection, being "micromanaged", or outright ostracism feels terrible for anyone and seems to be a major component in low self-worth)
* Being assertive (rather than passive, passive-aggressive, or aggressive)
* Having control over your life
* Learning and using skills that you intrinsically enjoy - that builds a sense of competency

I think that if we have gone through too many periods where we don't have enough of these things in place, it can leave a long term mark on us. I suspect that self-worth and self-confidence are somehow connected in ways I can't fully define (this is because I have tried working on one, and find to my surprise the other can also be affected).

A nasty problem is, when self-worth is low we tend to NOT do all the things necessary to increase self-worth. Same problem exists with self-confidence. I have no idea why this is so.
Onward2wards is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
Elder

justafriend306 a mother, girlfriend, friend

459 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Referring to a post above, religion has absolutely no part in it. I am responsible for my own sense of self. It doesn't just happen.

My self worth has grown stronger through my CBT. I have learnt to challenge those negative automatic thoughts that tended to berate myself relentlessly. It has been a lot of hard work but it has paid off.
justafriend306 is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
Poohbah
leejosepho has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose76 View Post
What man has a clear conscience before his Maker?
The one who does not claim righteousness either of or from within himself.

Quote:
"God often goes to the gutter to find the recipient for His grace. He lifts him out, washes him and transforms him - making him into a child of God fit for His kingdom. That is God's grace." --Chuck Smith
| manic-depressive with psychotic tendencies (1977) | chronic alcoholism (1981) | Asperger burnout (2010) | mood disorder - nos / personality disorder - nos / generalized anxiety disorder (2011) | chronic back pain / peripheral neuropathy / partial visual impairment | Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors (incurable cancer) |
leejosepho is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-25-2017, 10:10 PM   #10
Grand Magnate

Patagonia Pessimistic cynic. Beware

My Mood:

3 yr Member
94 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have no idea where my self worth comes from, but I know it has fluctuated in value thru my entire life.
I know I use a mirror & try to see my worth in others & how I'm reflected....then sorely disappointed.
Some find it in religion, but mine keeps changing. Some find it in values & mine keep changing too. Everything in my life now seems very fluid & constantly evolving as I guess my worth is too. It can change daily.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: