Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
Llama_Llama44's Avatar
Llama_Llama44 is probably overthinking...
Member Since: Mar 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 100
My Mood: Books

3 yr Member
214 hugs
Default Books

Have any of you read and found helpful Dr. Sarno's or Dr. Schubiner's books on psychosomatic pain or the Mind Body connection, "TMS", etc.?

I'm particularly interested in the "symptom substitution" or "symptom imperative" ideas. Because I feel pretty confident that some physical issues I have are psychogenic, but other frustrating symptoms I am not sure!

I am just not sure if these books offer much if you already believe that you have physical symptoms that stem from psychological issues. Do they offer much in the way of solutions? Are they worthwhile if you're already working with professionals on the issues?
Llama_Llama44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
possum220's Avatar
possum220 has no updates.
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Uppa Gumtree West
Posts: 16,015 (SuperPoster!)
10 yr Member
4,299 hugs
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Books

Have to say that I haven't bothered with books as I know the cause is emotional. So many people have differing reactions. If you are working with professionals to deal with this then you are working to what will hopefully be a solution.

I found it helpful to watch you tube articles about conversion disorders as it helped me to not feel so isolated.
possum220 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.


HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp

Helplines and Lifelines