Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 12-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
Alizah64

Alizah64 has no updates.

Unhappy Shapeshifter: Physical symptoms that cannot be articulated?

My body is betraying me.

My body's done The Anxiety Thing as long as I can remember. Since I was a teenager in the late 1970s, I've recognized "it:" the nausea, the shaking, the pounding heart, the abdominal pain ...I've gotten familiar with it: Oh, anxiety. It's you again.

Given the level of my distress, I was very high functioning. I was able to tame my anxiety enough to function, using a variety of methods from meds to therapy to CBT. I worked professionally until a few years ago, when I had a major breakdown after a series of traumas.

Three years ago I developed a cluster of odd symptoms that I actually thought were early-onset Alzheimer's -- short-term memory loss, amnesia spells, balance problems and loss of peripheral vision. None of these felt like "anxiety" to me.

But after a battery of tests I was diagnosed with Conversion Disorder -- my body's physical response to anxiety, stress and trauma that became part of a C-PTSD diagnosis.

I objected! I have a psych degree, but I didn't even know Conversion Disorder was still a thing. I thought it went out with Freud! Nevertheless, within a month of my diagnosis, this cluster of symptoms simply ... vanished. It was as if my body said, "Oh, well, the gig is up. Can't do THAT crazy ***** anymore!"

Since that time, I've developed a new set of physical symptoms. But this time, I can't even articulate them -- even as a longtime journalist with a big vocabulary! I can't find the words.

I just feel ... weird. In my head, jaw, mouth, foot. All the time, every day. It's distracting enough that I've developed social phobia -- which I didn't even HAVE before!

I feel like my body needed to one-up me -- once I caught it "lying to me" with the Conversion Disorder, now it's doing this other weird thing I can't explain or define.

I have a P-Doc and 2 therapists. All are AMAZING. I'm on SSDI, thank God, because I am not functioning even at a minimal level. But I can barely shop or socialize, and I have elderly parents I want and need to spend time with.

I've tried ignoring, minimizing, distraction, drawing and painting the feeling, "thanking" it for protecting me and giving it permission to go away.

But I can't even ****ing Google it because I can't find words for it.

Can anyone relate to this?

Last edited by CANDC; 12-02-2018 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: profanity
Alizah64 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Skeezyks
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood: Shapeshifter: Physical symptoms that cannot be articulated?

3 yr Member
12k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Shapeshifter: Physical symptoms that cannot be articulated?

Oh yes I can relate to this. I'm 70 years old now. And anxiety has been something I've struggled with all of my life. At this point in my life, I really have little or nothing to feel anxious about. But my body is still riddled with anxiety, or at least what feels like anxiety. I think, after so many years, it simply doesn't know how to function any other way.

I also have Meniere's disease... not to all that serious a degree... it could be a lot worse. But it still affects me. And I'm never sure if what I'm experiencing is related to anxiety or to Meniere's. Personally I 've simply come to accept that this is the way it is for me. Fortunately I don't have to work any longer. (Actually I haven't for a long time.) So it's not like my physical health, or my mental health for that matter, have any impact on my ability to support myself.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
anxiousbaker
anxiousbaker has no updates.

Default Re: Shapeshifter: Physical symptoms that cannot be articulated?

I'm sorry you're going through all of this. I can relate. I would say that I am high-functioning (I manage to do everything I did before I started having anxiety, though I struggle more), but I know that "weird" feeling you're describing very well - it's like I am sick, but I couldn't pinpoint what's wrong. And it shifts all the time - sometimes it's my face, sometimes my torso...? What do your therapists say? Mine suggested I feel things on a very physical level because I always underestimate my thoughts and feelings. That makes sense to me, and things do get slightly better with sharing and positive reinforcement. Sending positive thoughts your way
anxiousbaker is offline   Reply With Quote