Old 06-08-2018, 10:33 PM   #1
TicTacGo
TicTacGo has no updates.

My Mood: A clusterf...

37 hugs
given
Default A clusterf...

I will try and keep this concise.

I am 20 and was diagnosed with anxiety as well as OCD and depression accompanying that. It was in my mid-teens that I began fabricating the symptoms of bipolar disorder. (more specifically the mania, as I was prone to depression) and go away with it for years; medications, hospitalizations and a few doctors.
It was not until I saw a psychologist that doubt was expressed and I began to realize what I was doing and how much of a problem it became. (too many pills, side effects and anxiety not being easily managed due to limits on what could be prescribed)
So I came clean (well, came clean, lied my way backwards and then came clean for good. That was with my therapist, who fully understood.

My psychiatrist... I went to her with actual depression symptoms. (for 3 days and also the fact I was on a max dosage of antidepressants) So I told her all my symptoms and she was totally prepared to help... that is, until I told her about the factitious disorder for the first time (2 weeks after I told my therapist) and she did a complete 180, telling me that I need to talk through my issues with the therapist and she cannot help with that. That is should pass.
Now I feel, and tell me if I am wrong, that she was shaken... surprised? Taken aback? Not sure what to call it, but she went from hearing *everything* and wanting to adjust meds accordingly, to basically saying that I need to go deal with it. What if that depression got worse? It was already at a bad low, so it could have been a big problem.

Venlafaxine
Bupropion
Lamotrigine
Setraline
Olanzapine
TicTacGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 06-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
Skeezyks
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

3 yr Member
11.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: A clusterf...

I'm sorry I don't know as I am really able to understand what this is all about completely. I also don't know how mental health services are provided where you live. Where I live, all most psychiatrists do is to prescribe & monitor medications. When I would see my own pdoc (whom I no longer see) I would see him for about 10 minutes or so every 3 or 4 months. He'd ask me how I'm doing, we'd talk briefly about any possible med changes & that was that. Anything beyond that was left to a mental health therapist if I was seeing one (I wasn't.)

What it sounds like to me, here, is that your psychiatrist was, as your wrote, "shaken" or perhaps "surprised" & simply directed you back to your therapist to figure out what's going on with you. At least in my own experience, psychiatrists tend to be pretty matter-of-fact about things. They're not trained to be, or in most cases interested in being, counselors or therapists. And so they don't tend to "warm to" or to be interested in dealing with a lot of ambiguity.

So, at least to the extent I understand what you were saying here, this is what it sounds like may have happened. Your pdoc decided your situation was too "confused" (for lack of a better term) for her to want to deal with. So she simply referred you back to your T. I guess people could argue as to whether or not this is good practice, on the part of your pdoc. But it makes sense to me, based on my own experiences, that your pdoc would handle your situation in this manner.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-11-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
My Paper Heart
My Paper Heart has no updates.

4 hugs
given
Default Re: A clusterf...

I've experienced this several times over with my PsychoSomatic Symptom Disorder. There's absolutely nothing more frustrating than a psychiatrist who doesn't believe you.

The most problematic time this happened was when I told the psychiatrist on two separate instances back-to-back that I was depressed and she brushed it off, claiming it was just a phase. A phase that lasted more than 2 months? Umm, no, it wasn't a phase and I landed in the hospital because of it (as a preventative).

Because of situations like this, I'm very strict with following a doctor's directions so they have less of a reason to doubt me. When they see this, they're almost always more apt to believe me. Then again, after dealing with this for more than a decade, I've learned to notice the trends in my body's reactions and I own up to the doctor about any possibility that the reaction is psychosomatic. Again, since I'm so open about the possibility of the symptoms being psychosomatic and I follow their rules to a T, they tend to believe me.

I also try not to jump from doctor to doctor without a good reason to and I always follow a 3-strikes-and-you're-out pattern. The doctors ask why I changed doctors and again, they tend to believe me more when I tell them of the past doctors' idiocy (even if they can't believe a doctor was that stupid, like the guy who thought all pills were white {in response to my concerns for a food coloring allergy}).

However, I do understand because I'm getting to my wits end with my current psychiatrist. This is the 3rd or 4th one in a row who has given up on me, saying the exact words "I don't know what to do with you" and sending me back to therapy. I can't even count the number of times I've said I'm only looking for meds to act as a bandaid at least until the effects of therapy make the meds unnecessary but I'm still being ignored. ... So yeah, it's frustrating.
My Paper Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-12-2018, 05:46 AM   #4
TicTacGo
TicTacGo has no updates.

37 hugs
given

So I was right in thinking that a switch was flipped. I told my therapist that I felt as though it went very from I am willing to help to well I don't know so go see your therapist.

Coincidence? I do not think so. Yes, maybe the problem was fixed with some therapy, but what if that severe depression continued and got worse? Especially given that it should not be there in the first place (based on the fact that I am on an antidepressant at the maximum dosage that one can go- which is super helpful for OCD/anxiety)

So I doubt that it was more a call based on what I needed than her stepping back and holding her hands up, saying that she doesn't know.

Venlafaxine
Bupropion
Lamotrigine
Setraline
Olanzapine
TicTacGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
Tryingtoheal77
Tryingtoheal77 has no updates.

118 hugs
given

I'm sorry that that happened to you! I wonder if the psychiatrist was concerned you might be creating a fictitious problem again, and was worried about prescribing medication? Would you be able to sign a release form to let your therapist speak with and/or write to your psychiatrist (or a new psychiatrist if you'd prefer)? Then your therapist can help vouch for you and your symptoms.

Tryingtoheal77 is offline   Reply With Quote