Ascended

elevatedsoul has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,795 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default somatization disorder

so i was diagnosed with this... the psychologist tried briefly explaining it to me but i couldnt dig deeper because i was anxious and just wanted to get through the appointment...

i read a little about it but am still not certain i understand.. is this what makes me "feel" the anxiety and depression so much..? rather than just an emotional thing, its also physcial? or pseudo-physical

i dont know how i was diagnosed with it honestly, i mean i feel really bad... really really bad... emotionally and physically.. so maybe thats why..?

have any of you been diagnosed with this and can shed some light for me..?

advertisement
Unread 02-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #2

CaptainChaos79 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
208 hugs
given
Default Re: somatization disorder

Somatization disorders can manifest in many ways but a majority of people experience pain like symptoms. Some people experience seizures but that is actually very uncommon. I somatoform disorder is when you have a psychological issue that kinda comes out sideways and presents as a physical symptom or general medical condition. Its different in each person and you will just have to keep in close communication with your doctors to determine what your particular symptoms are.
Unread 02-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
Ascended

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,795 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

thanks, im hoping the next psychiatrist i get will educate me a bit more about whats happening rather than just trying to give me a bunch of drugs... when i get insurance im thinking about trying therapy again... but therapy is really hard for me because i have trust issues and extreme difficulty talking about things or explaining what i mean or feel..

i dunno how he diagnosed me with it, i dont recall any questions pertaining to such a thing but maybe the way i answered all the questions made him conclude such... this was a full psychological assessment so i can only assume and hope that these diagnoses are alot more accurate than the previous psychiatrists sad excuse for treating me (he just said i had bipolar and put me on a bunch of pills.,.)
Unread 03-11-2016, 01:37 AM   #4
Ascended

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,795 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

can somatization make you have bruxism?
of even PTSD ? ( i mean i have traumas and stuff but im just speculating...?)

or is it just some weird anomaly type pains

like i have tried to talk to the doc about my jaws... i believe i have TMD or TMJ ... because i have all of that stuff going on ... when i was younger they got locked shut 2 times... and they would pop and click everytime i moved my mouth... until they started popping harder and painfully and now it feels a little numb... it doesnt click like it used to but if i open my mount you can hear sounds like the jaw bone dislocating from the jaw joint... and thats what it feels like to me... the doc said he didnt know anything about it... (Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMJ, TMD))

but since i had teeth (as a baby) i would grind them in my sleep so maybe its just from the chronic teeth grinding....

i generally feel different types of pain though, things i know are just like... well, no way something happening to me to make me feel like that, i dont think?
like being stabbed in the side... or crushed from above, or like im just being squeezed tight... or like spears sticking through me at different points...
its usually a small combination of different weird things... i just thought it was depression though, i thought everyone with depression felt pain....

can somatization cause Dissociation? or time percetion distortion? derealization?
maybe even psychosis?
repress memories? repress years?

:/ apreciate any imfo
Unread 03-12-2016, 01:33 AM   #5
Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

Location: on the reservation and in the backwoods of my origins
My Mood:

8 yr Member
484 hugs
given

here in the USA there are 7 different somatic (your term Somatization )disorders...

Somatic Symptom Disorder
Illness Anxiety Disorder
Conversion Disorder (Functional Neurological Symptom Disorder)
Psychological Factors Affecting Other Medical Conditions
Factitious Disorder
Other Specified Somatic Symptom and Related Disorder
Unspecified Somatic Symptom and Related Disorder

in general this category just relabels hypochondria, and other related disorders like mental disorders imposed on self, mental disorder imposed on others, mental problems being converted into physical symptoms, ...in other words its a category of all kinds of symptoms and problems.

the term unspecified is used in short term emergency diagnosis situations like emergency rooms and the persons regular treatment providers change it to a different label once they have enough information to make a diagnosis, a treatment provider can also use the Unspecified label when they dont want to tell the patient why their symptoms are not fitting a diagnosis.

specified means the one being diagnosed has a somatic disorder not listed but is recognized problem in the USA, the treatment provider writes other specified- label of mental disorder.

example if conversion disorder was not listed in this category and the treatment provider feels their symptoms fit this disorder in but belongs in this category of problems they write other specified somatic disorder - conversion disorder. they can not just slap any ole label on you. the problem must be a recognized mental disorder here in the USA. in other words the labeling other specified gives treatment providers a way to better explain a persons mental disorders depending upon how that mental disorder presents itself.

my point....in order to find out which somatic disorder she meant and what it is you will need to contact your treatment provider. with out knowing which one of the above somatic disorders you are diagnosed with we cant give you the information you are looking for.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
Ascended

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,795 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

on the papers he gave me /results of the assessment it just says somatization disorder... and he told me that it is where my depression and anxiety is so severe that it causes physical problems / pain... he didnt really specify other than saying somatization disorder..
Somatization disorder ICD-10-CM: F45.0
ICD-9-CM: 300.81

thats whats on the paper.. im in the USA

it just confusing to me :/
Unread 03-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #7
Elder

My Mood:

8 yr Member
484 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatedsoul View Post
on the papers he gave me /results of the assessment it just says somatization disorder... and he told me that it is where my depression and anxiety is so severe that it causes physical problems / pain... he didnt really specify other than saying somatization disorder..
Somatization disorder ICD-10-CM: F45.0
ICD-9-CM: 300.81

thats whats on the paper.. im in the USA

it just confusing to me :/
here is a link to the ICD. short version according to this link your treatment provider says you have ....symptoms... but the symptoms are not because of the mental disorder labels listed in the excluded list. you can have both the symptoms and the mental disorders separate but your somatic symptoms are not because of the listed mental disorders. (thats what the term excluded means)
2016 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Codes F45.* : Somatoform disorders
Unread 03-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #8
Ascended

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,795 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

so this could be why i feel dissociated alot?
or does the excludes list mean thats not included in the f45 code?

in the papers he wrote down that he didn't think i was malingering...

i dunno how he came to the conclusion that i had this disorder but apparently i did something to sujjest it... i also didnt expect the avpd stuff ... i was just expecting MDD and ADHD and axniety...

thanks for your input and the link, im hoping to get therapy sometime soon so i can explore all of this... and get to the bottom of things... just need some insurance..

how do you cure/fix somatization?
Unread 03-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #9
Elder

My Mood:

8 yr Member
484 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatedsoul View Post
so this could be why i feel dissociated alot?
or does the excludes list mean thats not included in the f45 code?

in the papers he wrote down that he didn't think i was malingering...

i dunno how he came to the conclusion that i had this disorder but apparently i did something to sujjest it... i also didnt expect the avpd stuff ... i was just expecting MDD and ADHD and axniety...

thanks for your input and the link, im hoping to get therapy sometime soon so i can explore all of this... and get to the bottom of things... just need some insurance..

how do you cure/fix somatization?
excluded means not included.

an easy way to remember it means not included is think about when you buy something at the store the packaging says batteries excluded / not included.

those on the excluded list means its .... not... included in this diagnosis.

maybe you can ask the treatment provider how and why he came up with this.

how to fix this... you work with your treatment providers to work on what is causing the problems. its all individualized, once you take care of the problem that is causing this, you will no longer have the disorder. kind of like for dissociation the fix is learning how to not dissociate, how to stay present in the moment, for depression the fix for some people is medication and other ways to handle their depression.

with this disorder you work with your treatment providers to discover how and why you have this problem then develop a treatment plan to fix what ever is causing the problem.
Unread 03-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #10
Ascended

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,795 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

yeah sorry about that... looking back i can clearly see it means excluded but when i read it at the time it seemed strange... didnt understand i guess...
my mind is going crazy right now...

hopefully in april i'll be able to get insurance to get much needed treatment...
if not insurance then hopefully some kind of slider fee because i cant live like this...

its getting to the point i dont know what is going on "upstairs" (in my mind)
scared im gonna snap and lose touch with reality...

appreciate your input thank you