Ascended

elevatedsoul has no updates.

My Mood: somatization disorder

3 yr Member
1,834 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: somatization disorder

hey, sorry about writing those bad things..
i've been trying to stay away because i accidentally do things like that..
i dont like talking at all so i always feel so ashamed and ridiculous when i come back and read that i posted... things
i just dont want anyone to know how bad things are, but some how i end up saying things anyway
wish i wouldnt do that.. ill be fine though...
im just really tired i guess... mind gone rogue

thank you for taking the time to write such a caring response

advertisement
Old 07-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #22
PatternsInTheIvy

PatternsInTheIvy is incredibly salty. >_>

2 yr Member
69 hugs
given
Heart Re: somatization disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatedsoul View Post
hey, sorry about writing those bad things..
i've been trying to stay away because i accidentally do things like that..
i dont like talking at all so i always feel so ashamed and ridiculous when i come back and read that i posted... things
i just dont want anyone to know how bad things are, but some how i end up saying things anyway
wish i wouldnt do that.. ill be fine though...
im just really tired i guess... mind gone rogue

thank you for taking the time to write such a caring response
Nah, man. Don't feel bad. It's not an accident either. You need to get that out somewhere. It's a psych forum, dude. Kind of the point, you know? And if you're having issues with proper psychotherapy at the frequency you need it, you've gotta have an outlet somewhere.

Don't feel ashamed or ridiculous. I do the same s--t though. Feel like a dumbass when I end up talking about things, don't want to let people on, but then you don't say anything, and then you don't have any control because it just falls out of your mouth.

"Mind gone rogue." I like that.

I also had a friend describe it like this once: "It's frustrating when all you want is help because life feels like everything falling apart around you in some kind of f--ked up mess that primal gods of chaos themselves couldn't even imagine..."

Like I said, shoot me a DM sometime, dude. I don't want you doing the same thing I do. Not good for your psyche. At all. I know you're working on it, but do what you can outside of those two sessions a month you do get. Especially when you've got a community here that understands this BS.
PatternsInTheIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:16 PM   #23
ickydog2006
Poohbah

ickydog2006 has no updates.

10 yr Member
83 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

In answer to one of your questions (I'm not well-versed on all the new diagnosis stuff since I was diagnosed with conversion disorder 8 yrs ago and therapy has helped with most of my issues pertaining to this disorder), no, it's not just the classic form of depression causing pain and although many people suffering from Depression experience pain, it is usually described as fatigue or all over generalized muscle pain. So yes, given your pain symptoms a somatization disorder makes a lot of sense. Keep in mind one diagnosis often does not account for all symptoms, so although the pain would be attributed to somatization, dissociation or other mental health concerns may be attributed to depression or bipolar or anxiety disorders etc. Hope that helps some/makes sense.
Hugs from:
Old 05-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #24
eyesclosed
Veteran Member
eyesclosed has no updates.

2 yr Member
204 hugs
given

elevatedsoul i got a dilusion diagnoisis after one visit with a pcp i had a doctorput tubes in myears but not my ear drums and I feel like a scape goat i dont ever wanna see a doc again i wont let anybody ever look in myears all the doc psych therapist say i'm delusional about a ear canal I should have but don't at first it was psycho somatic now i'm delusional yep seen this before the psych said no one told how why or what this is I dont believe it its just the doctor is more important than me make me look and feel confused like i am they could be doing anything they want with me now even if my nose is broke they can say its not
eyesclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:26 AM   #25
RachelLyn915
RachelLyn915 has no updates.

2 yr Member

I think that you do have bruxism and TMJ, my mom has had it her whole life and I have had it for probably 10 years or so. The doctor didn't know anything about it because it is technically dental. You should find a good dentist, preferably one that specializes in TMJ/TMD. I cannot afford a special bite splint from the dentist (my mom got one and it changed her life) so I just use the ones from the store. The package does warn that you shouldn't use it if you have TMJ but my dentist said it was basically the same thing so the warning is just a formality. If I were you I would consult with your dentist and go from there since I am not a dentist or doctor and cannot give you medical advice, just like the stupid sleep guard package. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatedsoul View Post
can somatization make you have bruxism?
of even PTSD ? ( i mean i have traumas and stuff but im just speculating...?)

or is it just some weird anomaly type pains

like i have tried to talk to the doc about my jaws... i believe i have TMD or TMJ ... because i have all of that stuff going on ... when i was younger they got locked shut 2 times... and they would pop and click everytime i moved my mouth... until they started popping harder and painfully and now it feels a little numb... it doesnt click like it used to but if i open my mount you can hear sounds like the jaw bone dislocating from the jaw joint... and thats what it feels like to me... the doc said he didnt know anything about it... (Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMJ, TMD))

but since i had teeth (as a baby) i would grind them in my sleep so maybe its just from the chronic teeth grinding....

i generally feel different types of pain though, things i know are just like... well, no way something happening to me to make me feel like that, i dont think?
like being stabbed in the side... or crushed from above, or like im just being squeezed tight... or like spears sticking through me at different points...
its usually a small combination of different weird things... i just thought it was depression though, i thought everyone with depression felt pain....

can somatization cause Dissociation? or time percetion distortion? derealization?
maybe even psychosis?
repress memories? repress years?

:/ apreciate any imfo
RachelLyn915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #26
Mountaindewed
Magnate

Mountaindewed I like eggs.

2 yr Member
40 hugs
given

I donít bother going to the doctor because Iím downright terrified Iíll be diagnosed with this or conversion disorder. I never tell my doctor anything. If I had a choice Iíd get my prescription refilled over the phone. But Iíve tried and she wonít do it. I just ignore my symptoms dismiss them as anxiety, and deal with them myself. Iím wondering if that even means I have it or not, if I never go to the doctor.
Mountaindewed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:12 AM   #27
My Paper Heart
My Paper Heart has no updates.

4 hugs
given

I was diagnosed with Somatization Disorder in 2004, although it was unofficially diagnosed 2 years before that. That being said, I'm fairly well versed in the subject.

The DSM-IV calls it Somatization Disorder and the DSM-5 equivalent is Somatic Symptom Disorder. The name change is kinda important, I guess, because it goes to show that the definition of the disorder changed.

I was always pissed off that Somatization and Hypochondria were paired together in a DSM-IV category. But it was logical to do so even though they're kinda opposites. Both have the sufferer complaining of physical symptoms that come out of nowhere/has no physical cause (i.e., the cause is psychological)... The difference is what shows up on the medical tests: In Somatization, the physical symptoms do show up in the results whereas in Hypochondria it doesn't. Example: Once in a while, when I'm stressed out, I will lose sensation on a part of my left index finger (where I cut it with an X-Acto knife and ended up with stitches). If it was Hypochondria, there would be no proof that the loss of sensation was there, but because it's Somatization, the doctor was able to test it by putting various amounts of pressure on it to see that I had no reaction (which I couldn't possibly fake because I'm so sensitive to even the slightest amount of pain).

Somatization is basically the result of you not responding to/dealing with stress properly. I always just push stress aside and keep working, completely ignoring it, so this is kind of my body's way of saying, "Hey goofball, you're not listening to me! I'm going to do whatever it takes so that you pay attention to me!" Stress is mental so I can push it aside but physical symptoms are much harder to ignore.

The DSM-IV definition od Somatization only requires you to have the issue but the DSM-5's asomqtic Symptom Disorder specifies that the problem isn't so much the psychologically-created physical symptoms but rather the intense focus and worry about the symptoms cause.

As far as the ICD codes go, it's standard to include them on the psychological evaluation results. They were included in my report, which I just got a week ago. The US uses the DSM but pretty much every other country uses the ICD (International Classification of Disorders). They're similar but not quite the same. I'd guess that the ICD codes are included to make sure they cover all of the bases... Plus the ICD has separate sections for medical vs. mental health issues so it shows that the problem is specifically labeled a mental disorder.

I'd think that the Somatization diagnosis on the report is the ICD classification, not necessarily the diagnosis commonly used now in the US, since the ICD still calls it Somatization Disorder. The psych evaluatio reports can be confusing and full of BS so be careful of how you read it. Example: My report includes "Z62.82 Parent-Child Conflict..." but the DSM doesn't have an equivalent because -- no offense to the ICD -- that's not an actual mental disorder.)
My Paper Heart is offline   Reply With Quote