Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias > Social Anxiety & Selective Mutism

advertisement

Old 02-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #1

malika138 has no updates.

447 hugs
given
Default going into stores

I feel like my social anxiety waxes and wanes. Sometimes I can go in some stores and sometimes I cannot go into any. I got gift certificates as a bonus from work for shops in the small town were I work. These aren't places that have online versions, unfortunately. I don't even think I can walk downtown to see what the shops are and cannot imagine going into one. On one hand my t was saying we could practice how to respond to a salesperson when they ask that dreaded question, 'can I help you?'. But she also said that I could use the gift certificates as copay for her. I want to use the money to buy something nice for me but I get anxious just sitting here, 35 miles from town, thinking about the possibility of entering a store. I don't know why I am writing this! Anyhow, ...
malika138 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #2

cuphalfful has no updates.

My Mood:

Default Re: going into stores

Hi malika138 I have this huge phobia about entering into shops etc. I get anxious and worried and just reading your posting is triggering my anxiety lol. I shop online most of all or go with someone to the shops if I have no choice and find that helps alot.

Do you have a friend/family member who would go with you? That is the only way you would see me any of these establishments.
cuphalfful is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
10.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: going into stores

I'm sorry you're struggling with this. Here is a link to an article from PsychCentral's archives written by our host, Dr. John Grohol, on the subject of overcoming fears, phobias & panic attacks. Perhaps something in Dr. Grohol's article will be of some help:

https://psychcentral.com/lib/overcom...panic-attacks/

And also, here are links to 2 other articles from PC's archives on the subject:

https://psychcentral.com/lib/taking-...-in-your-life/

https://psychcentral.com/blog/findin...of-your-fears/

Old 05-31-2018, 12:51 PM   #4

iwalkwithjesus has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
29 hugs
given
Default Re: going into stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by malika138 View Post
I feel like my social anxiety waxes and wanes. Sometimes I can go in some stores and sometimes I cannot go into any. I got gift certificates as a bonus from work for shops in the small town were I work. These aren't places that have online versions, unfortunately. I don't even think I can walk downtown to see what the shops are and cannot imagine going into one. On one hand my t was saying we could practice how to respond to a salesperson when they ask that dreaded question, 'can I help you?'. But she also said that I could use the gift certificates as copay for her. I want to use the money to buy something nice for me but I get anxious just sitting here, 35 miles from town, thinking about the possibility of entering a store. I don't know why I am writing this! Anyhow, ...
I know exactly where your coming from. Today I went into Walmart, by the time I got to the checkout i was feeling jt.

Bio: Married (finally to a real man), five Grown bio Children, two adopted children. Four Boys, three girls. Horses, Goats, maltese, rottie, English bulldog, two cats
iwalkwithjesus is offline   Reply With Quote