Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias > Social Anxiety & Selective Mutism

Old 11-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #41
jack_sunday has no updates.
Default Re: Social Anxiety: share your story.

Well yea. It's... anxiety and I just have it. It's like fear of stuff or just feeling annoyed, IDK. Being in college in computer science where people are just so loud annoys me. Don't know if related.
jack_sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #42
seesaw anxious
My Mood:

3 yr Member
411 hugs
PC PoohBah!

My social anxiety can get so bad that I put off work activities and jeopardize my job because of it.

I've just recently admitted to myself that I suffer from social anxiety...well, actually I had admitted it to myself, I just didn't want to mention it to anyone else.

The crazy thing is that I actually like being around people. I draw energy from being around other people. I just suffer such anxiety from having to interact and being afraid of rejection and criticism and judgment that I will avoid social situations at all costs.

I have recently admitted to myself that my maladaptive avoidance coping behaviors have been causing a lot of harm to my life. I'm trying to work on changing them so I can finally start having the life I want.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #43
XoAnnie4 has no updates.
1 hugs

I have social anxiety mainly because I always feel embarrassed when Iím out in public. This is because my parents are very overprotective of me so they make me wear a lot of heavy winter clothing. Iím always the most bundled up person so it makes me stand out so much, especially at school. So I just get nervous and start sweating, then I swear even more because I get hot wearing so many layers.
XoAnnie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #44
Anastasia~ :)
My Mood:

1,968 hugs

I despise social anxiety. I want to beat it, but at the moment it is beating me. I just want to be care free and not care what others think. Work is painful but I hope it will get better.
Anastasia~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #45
scarlett35 has no updates.

Thanks for starting this thread! I feel like I can get this off my chest somewhere

I am not diagnosed as I am too embarrassed to go to the doctor's, but I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from social anxiety. It started a few years ago really with some kind of identity crisis. Ive always been a people pleaser, but I ended up in a situation where I felt I didn't fit in anywhere. I was absolutely desperate to be loved and so went above and beyond to try and be a person I thought the people I wanted to impress wanted me to be. It obviously didn't work and gradually I lost all sense of who I really was due to putting on these masks. It started to really bother me. I felt self conscious all the time and over analysed every single interaction, wondering how I'd performed and how I'd come across, all the while feeling frustrated that I wasn't really showing the real me and cared too much what others thought.

I think it comes from a lack of self esteem. Deep down I know I'm not a bad person. I wouldn't hurt a fly! I would never intentionally hurt someone. I just think I am not interesting enough to most people to be liked. I have different interests etc. I also have some concerns over aspects of my personality which have been criticised by family in the past (being overly sensitive) as well as having my weight critiqued a lot, and made to feel bad if I have a treat. It's kind of chipped away at my self esteem and I just never feel good/interesting enough. It's horrible. I'm also petrified of saying the wrong thing and accidentally offending someone.

Everyday I turn up to work or a social event and wonder who to be? How should I act today? It is such hard work . I wish so much I could just be me, but how do you do that when you don't know who "me" is?

I try to copy personalities of people I admire or know who are well liked, but obviously I can't do that which makes me even more frustrated, and dislike myself even more because I can't be like them. I end up "overdoing it" or trying too hard. I really don't want to spend my entire life worrying about this, but I have no idea how to solve it.

I'm on anxiety meds for OCD, but they don't touch the social anxiety. I just want to live and be happy and care less what others think. I don't know if anyone can relate !! I guess it would be good to know I'm not alone.

Phew feels good to get that off my chest though!
scarlett35 is offline   Reply With Quote