Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > > >

advertisement

Old 12-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
hartbroken
hartbroken has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default selective mutism is becoming a problem

I have schizoaffective disorder and am 46 yrs old. I have so much going on in my head and heart, but not able to put anything into words. I am talking less and less to my girlfriend, my parents, and friends. It's as if all the stuff I'd like to talk about but can't is accumulating in my brain. But I don't know where to start or how to start talking about it.

I have schizoaffective disorder, and I'm a 46 year old male.

Lithium, Trazodone, Klonopin, Abilify, Zoloft
hartbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 12-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
Skeezyks
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood: selective mutism is becoming a problem

2 yr Member
11.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: selective mutism is becoming a problem

I haven't been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. (Actually I've never received a diagnosis of any kind.) I once was given the MMPI to complete. One of the findings I recall was that I exhibited "schizoid ideation" whatever that means. (No one ever told me.)

I don't talk about anything either. I'm pretty-much reclusive, and I don't watch the news on TV or read newspapers. So I don't have much of anything to talk about. I'm mostly cut off from the outside world. And I don't talk about anything related to my mental health struggles. It's all so complicated & some of it would be downright humiliating to talk about. So I just keep it all to myself. But sometimes it begins to feel like the build-up of steam in a pressure cooker. Oh... & I'm pushing 70!
Skeezyks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:17 AM   #3
Anonymous50025
Anonymous50025 has no updates. Edit

Default Re: selective mutism is becoming a problem

hartbroken-

I enjoyed Ďadult selective mutismí for a little over one year; that is, I did not speak for one year.

I didnít even know that there was a Ďselective mutismí section here! Itís so rare among adults.

What you describe doesnít really sound like selective mutism. At least, not as I experienced it. In my situation, I could have spoken, I didnít lack the ability or words to express myself, I just chose not to. From what youíve written, it appears that youíre having trouble expressing yourself to others. I donít know what could cause that?

Do you see a therapist or psychiatrist?