Nike007
Grand Poohbah

Nike007 has no updates.

My Mood: People Not Understanding Social Anxiety

3 yr Member
141 hugs
given
Default People Not Understanding Social Anxiety

So I have dealt with social anxiety (disorder) for as long as I remember. I was officially diagnosed until a few years, but I knew that I had it since I was a kid.

But anyways, in school, i have to do presentations and it causes me to have panic attacks, which cause me to blank out and freeze, and then I lose marks for my presentation. So I have an IEP and one of my accommodations is allowing me to do presentations privately for teachers. But whenever I do, teachers guilt me to present in front of the class, saying "you presented so well" or "people would love to listen to this" or "your presentation is so interesting that people will enjoy it" or something along these lines and it frustrates me. I know people may "love" it or that I presented so well, but that's because I am accommodated. If I am not, I get severe panic attacks.

The last time I had a performance for my exam I just ended up taking my medication before my presentation and it seemed to help at least the pre-performance anxiety.

But I hate being guilted into doing presentations for the class/peers as it makes me extremely anxious. People just don't understand that this isn't something I can control or want. I am a lot better than I was years ago, but still have a long way to go in terms of treatment.

DX: GAD; ASD; recurrent, treatment-resistant MDD; PTSD

RX: Prozac 20 mg; BuSpar 10 mg 2x a day; Ativan 0.5 mg PRN; Omega 3 Fish Oil; Trazodone, 50 mg (sleep); Melatonin 3-9 mg

Previous RX: Zoloft, 25-75mg; Lexapro 5-15mg; Luvox 25-50mg; Effexor XR 37.5-225mg

I have ASD so please be kind if I say something socially unacceptable. Thank you.
Nike007 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-23-2017, 02:34 AM   #2
scarlett35
scarlett35 has no updates.

Default Re: People Not Understanding Social Anxiety

Oh yeah totally understand. If it were me I'd feel like I had to do it to please the teacher and that would cause me even more stress. Thinking I'd let them down!

It is annoying but you just have to do what's best for you I find people do have real difficulty understanding mental illness unless they've experienced it
scarlett35 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 06-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Sometimes psychotic
Legendary

Sometimes psychotic Hugs to all!

5 yr Member
16.5k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I think they are just trying to encourage you in case you want to try it---not to guilt you into doing it if you don't want to. What they realize is a lot of jobs later in life require some presentation skills so its a good thing to learn, but if you can't then don't feel bad about it.

Sometimes psychotic is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 07-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
hidihi
hidihi has no updates.

Scarlett35

hi Scarlet, I'm wondering if you could practice with a few ppl., perhaps family or close friends that would help get started. if you did one good presentation it would give you the confidence to keep going. I used to be similar and I started to learn off my presentations by heart and gained confidence that way.
hidihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 08-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
Grams7
Grams7 has no updates.

I needed to attend a wedding shower last night. My husband didn't tell me until the last minute. That worked out ok, this time, I didn't have enough time to go over all the what ifs in my head. Until I get there. Then I didn't know but one couple and I stayed off to myself until we could leave.
Grams7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
Jennifer 1967
Legendary

Jennifer 1967 has no updates.

3 yr Member
39k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I had such social anxiety, I couldn't do presentations. One class I had an A in and told the teacher I'd take a C but I could not present. He offered for me to give it just to him and I still couldn't. He gave me an A anyway.

Another time I tried really hard to present in front of a large class and my voice started shaking and the professor laughed. That incident made up my mind that it is something I am not doing. I hate having social anxiety. It makes things difficult. You're absolutely right, people don't get it.

I'm glad you have accommodations and are getting the job done. Kudos to you.
Jennifer 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote