Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Sleep Issues & Dream Interpretation

advertisement
Unread 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
Grand Poohbah

DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.

My Mood:

391 hugs
given
Default I feel tired during the day and can't motivate myself to wake up early.

I have been having an issue of struggling to sleep at night and having difficulties motivating myself to wake up early.

I have more energy at night and can generally get more done, however, as soon as the sun comes up, I feel drained and fatigued. If I'm awake, I feel tired even if I wake up at like 2-3 AM after getting 6-8 hours of sleep. If I am asleep, motivating myself to try to get out of bed is an outright struggle for me. Even if I get 6-8 hours of sleep, I have problems waking up to my alarm without hitting snooze several times. Because of this, it isn't uncommon for me to force myself to stay awake at night and drink 2-4 energy drinks or 1-2 pots of coffee a day and force myself to stay awake for 24 or more hours, particularly if I have school or some type of work I need to get done that day. I feel like I have little stamina during the day and I can't even run a block without feeling fatigued, yet when night comes around, I feel like I can run a marathon.

I've tried cutting caffeine out after certain times to make sure that I sleep but it never helps and I only feel worse when I wake up. I've tried going to bed early. I've tried melatonin but while it makes falling asleep easier, it makes waking up even harder for me because I feel even more tired during the morning. I wish I had an easier solution because I am sick of feeling tired all of the time.

Maybe I should simply accept that I'm not wired to be like everybody else?

DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 07-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Grand Magnate

Thunder Bow is a Navajo Shaman

My Mood:

3 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I feel tired during the day and can't motivate myself to wake up early.

Cafeene and energy drinks will keep you wired, night and day. Anxiety will also keep you awake. Best to talk to a Doctor or Therapist about this, to find away to stop this habit.

www.lightningthunderbow.com
Thunder Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
Grand Poohbah

My Mood:

391 hugs
given
Default Re: I feel tired during the day and can't motivate myself to wake up early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Bow View Post
Cafeene and energy drinks will keep you wired, night and day. Anxiety will also keep you awake. Best to talk to a Doctor or Therapist about this, to find away to stop this habit.
Yeah, I don't have access to a doctor and I don't know what good talking to my free student therapist will do, but I can try.

I simply can't function during the day without caffeine. Even when I have cut down, I still feel tired during the day, I have always been a night person so waking up early and getting things done during the day is hard for me without caffeine.

Unread 07-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
Poohbah

Crypts_Of_The_Mind has no updates.

My Mood:

942 hugs
given

First, high doses of caffeine will cause your body to stay in a state of "unrest". If you have been drinking or eating a lot of caffeine regularly, as you seem to indicate, I would say try cutting it off completely, not just at certain times. At least til your body gets back in the right rhythm. That's the problem right now. You have "flipped" your internal clock. So, when it's day, your body wants to behave as if it is night, but if it is night, your body wants to behave as if it is day. To get your internal clock righted, you will need to force yourself to maintain a strict sleep schedule. No matter how much or little sleep you actually get, make sure you go to bed n get up at the same time everyday. To help yourself go to sleep, try a few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow and\or some relaxation music (maybe nature music) and do some diaphragm breathing while lying down on your bed with your eyes closed.

Stress has probably caused this to happen. By continually drinking the high doses of caffeine to force yourself to stay awake, you are perpetuating the stress your body feels, which only serves to make the insomnia worse. Give yourself permission to sleep. Do not drink the caffeine. When it gets close to bedtime, turn your phone, computer, etc, off.

I hope this helps. Insomnia is something I have had to deal with a lot myself.
Unread 07-15-2017, 03:42 AM   #5
Grand Poohbah

My Mood:

391 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypts_Of_The_Mind View Post
First, high doses of caffeine will cause your body to stay in a state of "unrest". If you have been drinking or eating a lot of caffeine regularly, as you seem to indicate, I would say try cutting it off completely, not just at certain times. At least til your body gets back in the right rhythm. That's the problem right now. You have "flipped" your internal clock. So, when it's day, your body wants to behave as if it is night, but if it is night, your body wants to behave as if it is day. To get your internal clock righted, you will need to force yourself to maintain a strict sleep schedule. No matter how much or little sleep you actually get, make sure you go to bed n get up at the same time everyday. To help yourself go to sleep, try a few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow and\or some relaxation music (maybe nature music) and do some diaphragm breathing while lying down on your bed with your eyes closed.

Stress has probably caused this to happen. By continually drinking the high doses of caffeine to force yourself to stay awake, you are perpetuating the stress your body feels, which only serves to make the insomnia worse. Give yourself permission to sleep. Do not drink the caffeine. When it gets close to bedtime, turn your phone, computer, etc, off.

I hope this helps. Insomnia is something I have had to deal with a lot myself.
Don't drink caffeine and sleep at the same time every day? No thanks.

I tried cutting caffeine out today and I am late on one of my class assignments now because I couldn't concentrate no matter how hard I tried. I need caffeine to function at all or else I can't concentrate on my studies or work.

I will try to go to bed earlier on weekdays but there is no way in hell I'm depriving myself of my precious night study and gamathons because the night is when I am at my best. I'm a night owl; always have been always will be. I can't afford to deprive myself of what few advantages I have over others.

I will consider trying the lavender oil and the music though

Last edited by DarknessIsMyFriend; 07-15-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Hugs from:
Unread 07-15-2017, 03:44 AM   #6
Grand Poohbah

My Mood:

391 hugs
given

I'm also considering purchasing this to deal with my difficulties concentrating and information retention that I've been having:

https://www.foc.us/foc-us-v2-stimulator

I spent my entire commute time researching tDCS and it seems to be the way to go. I am going to save up the $230 and buy it to help me deal with my issues.

Unread 07-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
Grand Member

reb569 ??!!??

My Mood:

147 hugs
given

I've done a modified sleep schedule for many years. Work days I get up about 2 am and do my work on my websites ect. Go to work then go to bed about 9 pm. Non-work days I get up about 4 am and stay up until about 11 pm. I drink a lot of coffee on work days, not as much on non-work days. It works for me.

"I feel like an outsider, and I always will feel like one. Iíve always felt that I wasnít a member of any particular group."
~ Anne Rice
reb569 is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
Grand Poohbah

My Mood:

391 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb569 View Post
I've done a modified sleep schedule for many years. Work days I get up about 2 am and do my work on my websites ect. Go to work then go to bed about 9 pm. Non-work days I get up about 4 am and stay up until about 11 pm. I drink a lot of coffee on work days, not as much on non-work days. It works for me.
Coffee is fuel for us programmer/developer types haha

I actually write code or do anything technical better at night as opposed to the day anyways so I could see myself adopting a sleep schedule similar to that.

I might start going to bed at 4-6PM and waking up at 12-2 AM since I have no family or anything that stays with me and would need or want me awake in the evenings.

Only for me, it will be staying up later during non work/school days and giving myself one day to allow my body to reset.

Unread 07-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #9
Poohbah

My Mood:

942 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post
Don't drink caffeine and sleep at the same time every day? No thanks.

I tried cutting caffeine out today and I am late on one of my class assignments now because I couldn't concentrate no matter how hard I tried. I need caffeine to function at all or else I can't concentrate on my studies or work.

I will try to go to bed earlier on weekdays but there is no way in hell I'm depriving myself of my precious night study and gamathons because the night is when I am at my best. I'm a night owl; always have been always will be. I can't afford to deprive myself of what few advantages I have over others.

I will consider trying the lavender oil and the music though
It does totally suck for about the first week of cutting caffeine. I was totally addicted to it at one time. Now I have it ocassionally (sometimes in splurge amounts for brief amounts of time) but not constant anymore n I can always tell the difference. Caffeine has its merits n demerits. If used in excess though, the demerits are all you receive from it. To cleanse your body from the overdose amounts you will need to stop for a month or so (not forever) and then when you start again, don't over do it. That's all. I use caffeine to help me with pain for instance.

Could it be the reason you couldn't concentrate is because you were so tired but the caffeine had not been letting you sleep n since you no longer had it, your body was ready for sleep?

Not trying to argue... Just trying to clarify both my response n your reply to me.

Hope you will find the lavender n music beneficial.
Unread 07-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
Poohbah

My Mood:

942 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post
I'm also considering purchasing this to deal with my difficulties concentrating and information retention that I've been having:

https://www.foc.us/foc-us-v2-stimulator

I spent my entire commute time researching tDCS and it seems to be the way to go. I am going to save up the $230 and buy it to help me deal with my issues.
What exactly does that do?