Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Sleep Issues & Dream Interpretation

advertisement
Unread 07-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #11
Grand Poohbah

DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.

My Mood:

391 hugs
given
Default Re: I feel tired during the day and can't motivate myself to wake up early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypts_Of_The_Mind View Post
It does totally suck for about the first week of cutting caffeine. I was totally addicted to it at one time. Now I have it ocassionally (sometimes in splurge amounts for brief amounts of time) but not constant anymore n I can always tell the difference. Caffeine has its merits n demerits. If used in excess though, the demerits are all you receive from it. To cleanse your body from the overdose amounts you will need to stop for a month or so (not forever) and then when you start again, don't over do it. That's all. I use caffeine to help me with pain for instance.

Could it be the reason you couldn't concentrate is because you were so tired but the caffeine had not been letting you sleep n since you no longer had it, your body was ready for sleep?

Not trying to argue... Just trying to clarify both my response n your reply to me.

Hope you will find the lavender n music beneficial.
Friday which was the day I went completely without caffeine, I had a full 8 hours of sleep the previous night. I couldn't concentrate at all until I purchased an energy drink later on and then I was able to do what I was previously struggling to complete with relative ease.

Cutting caffeine out for a month isn't an option for me at the point because like I said, I cannot function without it. My schedule is going to get even more busy in the near future and I need every advantage that I can get to be able to get things accomplished.

I am considering looking into getting some supplements and nootropics along with that device that I linked in this thread to help stimulate my brain so I can focus and be less affected by fear and anxiety. I am also going to consider trying meditation and yoga and I am going to take advantage of a free gym membership and yoga classes offered by my school so I can start getting in shape and see if that helps my sleep and mental focus issues.

At least I should have plenty of money to work with in a couple of months. I am going to be making great use out of all of this leftover college money

DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 07-16-2017, 12:10 AM   #12
Grand Poohbah

My Mood:

391 hugs
given
Default Re: I feel tired during the day and can't motivate myself to wake up early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypts_Of_The_Mind View Post
What exactly does that do?
tDCS is a method used to stimulate the brain by light electroshock. You connect a couple of diodes to a certain part of your head that connect to that device to start the process.

tDCS started in the early 2000s and since then, there has been actual scientific study that proves tDCS being capable of stimulating ones brain to improve focus and learning speed among other benefits. Some say that it is also capable of helping with the symptoms of certain mental health issues such as anxiety and ADD.

I spent time while on the bus the other day researching some peer reviewed studies that were done on tDCS and the only downside seems to be a slight decrease in one's ability to use knowledge one has learned. This is a side effect that I could live with considering the pros vastly outweigh the cons.

I'm going to buy myself this device for my birthday next month and try it out. I will likely write a review about my experience on PC.

Unread 07-16-2017, 02:25 AM   #13
Poohbah

Crypts_Of_The_Mind has no updates.

My Mood:

942 hugs
given

Well sounds like you have a good plan for yourself.

(Just to clarify though, when I said "tired" I wasn't talking about from the one previous day but from the many days n nights previously you have not been getting good rest)
Unread 07-16-2017, 06:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Sassandclass has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post
I have been having an issue of struggling to sleep at night and having difficulties motivating myself to wake up early.

I have more energy at night and can generally get more done, however, as soon as the sun comes up, I feel drained and fatigued. If I'm awake, I feel tired even if I wake up at like 2-3 AM after getting 6-8 hours of sleep. If I am asleep, motivating myself to try to get out of bed is an outright struggle for me. Even if I get 6-8 hours of sleep, I have problems waking up to my alarm without hitting snooze several times. Because of this, it isn't uncommon for me to force myself to stay awake at night and drink 2-4 energy drinks or 1-2 pots of coffee a day and force myself to stay awake for 24 or more hours, particularly if I have school or some type of work I need to get done that day. I feel like I have little stamina during the day and I can't even run a block without feeling fatigued, yet when night comes around, I feel like I can run a marathon.

I've tried cutting caffeine out after certain times to make sure that I sleep but it never helps and I only feel worse when I wake up. I've tried going to bed early. I've tried melatonin but while it makes falling asleep easier, it makes waking up even harder for me because I feel even more tired during the morning. I wish I had an easier solution because I am sick of feeling tired all of the time.

Maybe I should simply accept that I'm not wired to be like everybody else?

I'm going through something similar and so my doctor is getting my cortisol levels checked. Have you ever looked into that? If cortisol levels are too low or too high it messes with your body. It makes you feel awake at night and then tired and fatigued and weak feeling during the day. Brings on depression and mental fog. Not to mention other ailments. Anyways, you could google the symptoms and if it sounds like you, you could get tested. It might be worth a shot
Sassandclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2017, 02:23 AM   #15
Grand Member

reb569 ??!!??

My Mood:

147 hugs
given

Quote:
Coffee is fuel for us programmer/developer types haha

I actually write code or do anything technical better at night as opposed to the day anyways so I could see myself adopting a sleep schedule similar to that.
Yes! Absolutely! I actually have dreamed solutions to coding issues too! This is the main reason for my sleep schedule. Back when I used to drink soda, code red mountain dew was my fuel. But I don't drink soda anymore except on rare occasions.

"I feel like an outsider, and I always will feel like one. Iíve always felt that I wasnít a member of any particular group."
~ Anne Rice
reb569 is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #16
Grand Poohbah

My Mood:

391 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb569 View Post
Yes! Absolutely! I actually have dreamed solutions to coding issues too! This is the main reason for my sleep schedule. Back when I used to drink soda, code red mountain dew was my fuel. But I don't drink soda anymore except on rare occasions.
Reminds me back when I was first learning Linux and it's command shell several years ago. I LIVED off mountain dew. I would go to Taco Bell late at night and buy large Baja Blasts and cheap 1$ burritos and that's how I survived through trade school haha

Now, I live off of whole bean coffee and those monster energy teas.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #17
Grand Poohbah

My Mood:

391 hugs
given

I must say that the music and Melatonin has been helping me a lot. I found some 8 hour video tracks on Amazon Prime that play relaxing ambient sound such as rain, light thunder, and other nature related sounds and I have been sleeping well with them.

I think a couple of reasons why sleep has been difficult for me is a combination of depression when I have a long day at school or working and I want to get home and play my game but I end up staying up gaming too long and the fact that I don't have a real bed yet since my last one got ruined by a bedbug infestation earlier this year and I've been sleeping on an old futon that isn't that comfortable.

I might look into getting another bed soon or at least a mattress. I found a nice memory foam full sized one on Amazon for under $100 and a bedframe that doesn't need a box spring for $70 so I might take advantage of that in a few weeks.

Hugs from:
Unread Yesterday, 12:14 AM   #18
Poohbah

My Mood:

942 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post
I must say that the music and Melatonin has been helping me a lot. I found some 8 hour video tracks on Amazon Prime that play relaxing ambient sound such as rain, light thunder, and other nature related sounds and I have been sleeping well with them.

I think a couple of reasons why sleep has been difficult for me is a combination of depression when I have a long day at school or working and I want to get home and play my game but I end up staying up gaming too long and the fact that I don't have a real bed yet since my last one got ruined by a bedbug infestation earlier this year and I've been sleeping on an old futon that isn't that comfortable.

I might look into getting another bed soon or at least a mattress. I found a nice memory foam full sized one on Amazon for under $100 and a bedframe that doesn't need a box spring for $70 so I might take advantage of that in a few weeks.
I'm glad you are finally being able to get some sleep. Nature music helps me a lot too, especially ocean sounds or birds.
Unread Yesterday, 01:36 AM   #19
Grand Member

reb569 ??!!??

My Mood:

147 hugs
given

I have two hours of Meditation/Relaxation music that on days when I'm really stressed out or having trouble sleeping I listen to on repeat. I find it very helpful, but I also have to be cautious because sometimes it pushes me beyond the neutral zone I'm looking for towards depression.

"I feel like an outsider, and I always will feel like one. Iíve always felt that I wasnít a member of any particular group."
~ Anne Rice
reb569 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:12 PM   #20
Poohbah

My Mood:

942 hugs
given

Hm, it actually keeps me from depression. Perhaps changing up the music you use might help? Different types of relaxation music help people differently.