Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 09-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
xmascarol

xmascarol has no updates.

8 hugs
given
Default Re: Lack of sleep is making me anxious and very nervous

As usual I got only 2 hours of sleep last night.I know the storm freaked me out.
xmascarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 09-27-2018, 01:57 AM   #12
TerryL
Poohbah

TerryL has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,044 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

you poor thing. i can so relate. i have been having insomnia too lately and feel unusually anxious. i didn't want to use melatonin as it is a hormone. i tried this herbal remedy from the health food store that was made from skullcaps. (that is a plant) that gives a very restful sleep but the night before i was especially anxious so one dose did not work. the directions said you can take up to 4 doses at a time but i was scared to do that. so i also tried acupressure. there are points on your wrists you can press to release your body's melatonin. there are many videos on youtube on how to do it. here is one YouTube
but that does not always work for me. i am now trying exercise. i have 2 and 3 lb hand weights and i just lift them a minute or so throughout the day. read that can help as well as exercising in the morning. (i just googled natural remedies for insomnia)

i hope something will work for you. having that little sleep is very dangerous.
TerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 09-27-2018, 02:13 AM   #13
downandlonely
Poohbah
Chat Moderator
downandlonely has no updates.

I'm sorry xmascarol. If the lack of sleep is a regular thing, you may want to see a doctor.

As far as natural remedies, there is melatonin and I believe Valerian root works as well. I tried melatonin, and it didn't really work for me. I haven't tried valerian.
downandlonely is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 09-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #14
MickeyCheeky
Wise Elder

MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

My Mood: Lack of sleep is making me anxious and very nervous

2 yr Member
24.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

MickeyCheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #15
xmascarol

8 hugs
given

Well I finally got a full night sleep I went to bed at 8:30 and when I woke up it was 6.I didnt do anything different.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #16
StreetcarBlanche

StreetcarBlanche I don't want realism. I want magic.

5 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmascarol View Post
Well I finally got a full night sleep I went to bed at 8:30 and when I woke up it was 6.I didnt do anything different.
Hey that's great to hear. Hopefully now you'll be back on a regular sleep schedule.
StreetcarBlanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #17
xmascarol

8 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by downandlonely View Post
I'm sorry xmascarol. If the lack of sleep is a regular thing, you may want to see a doctor.

As far as natural remedies, there is melatonin and I believe Valerian root works as well. I tried melatonin, and it didn't really work for me. I haven't tried valerian.
I have told both of ,my doctors I cant sleep and neither one of them just said oh you cant . They wont do a darn thing,it gets to be so frustrating,
Old 09-29-2018, 06:12 PM   #18
xmascarol

8 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarBlanche View Post
Hey that's great to hear. Hopefully now you'll be back on a regular sleep schedule.
To my surprise I fell asleep about 11:30 last night when I woke up it was after 7;30 this morning ,I hope I can sleep tonight.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #19
xmascarol

8 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryL View Post
you poor thing. i can so relate. i have been having insomnia too lately and feel unusually anxious. i didn't want to use melatonin as it is a hormone. i tried this herbal remedy from the health food store that was made from skullcaps. (that is a plant) that gives a very restful sleep but the night before i was especially anxious so one dose did not work. the directions said you can take up to 4 doses at a time but i was scared to do that. so i also tried acupressure. there are points on your wrists you can press to release your body's melatonin. there are many videos on youtube on how to do it. here is one YouTube
but that does not always work for me. i am now trying exercise. i have 2 and 3 lb hand weights and i just lift them a minute or so throughout the day. read that can help as well as exercising in the morning. (i just googled natural remedies for insomnia)

i hope something will work for you. having that little sleep is very dangerous.
See when I dont sleep I not only get anxious but depressed as well I become very shaky and I feel like I am going to fall.I had run into things before.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #20
saidso

saidso has no updates.

87 hugs
given

In my mind two hours sleep is an emergency situation - either the doctor has to give me pills or I need to catch up during the daytime.

It's important (again just my experience) to deliberately spend time winding down mentally even if I can't sleep. Because my insomnia is a learned pattern and I constantly have to remind my body how to sleep regularly.

Stuff that I use to wind down is gentle exercise and gentle music, just lying in warm comfortable place, relaxing my eyes - and finding ways to relax the controlling part of my mind. Taking time away from thinking type activities at least one hour before bedtime.

I feel concerned for you. What people have written about medication mix and side effects makes sense, but then shouldn't your doctor review the medication mix.

Is there anything that helps for you, or that you notice in your environment that might help if you did more of it? For example when I was working long hours with no sleep, I walked by a meditation class and something inside me knew that I needed to do it, despite my difficulty in relaxing my mind. That's 18 years ago and despite initial difficulty I'm still benefitting from that class.

Reflecting more, I would enourage you to observe what works for you personally. Problems letting go enough to sleep are a very personal thing, on the level of deep intimacy. The trick for me has been observing what works and doing more of it - whether it's being more patient with myself, more assertive with my doctor, or more committed to a good sleep routine.

Big hugs!
saidso is offline   Reply With Quote