Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 08-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
ShadowGX
Poohbah

ShadowGX has no updates.

My Mood: An atypical way to reduce nightmares?

754 hugs
given
Default An atypical way to reduce nightmares?

My friend has been struggling with nightmares a lot and I found out how bad it is today... I don't know what to do to help him. Even though he went to bed in a great mood last night (thanks to me, woo) he still ended up not sleeping at all thanks to the nightmares. He's gone 4 days straight no sleep before, multiple times, according to him - one such streak was recent.

He does not want to go to therapy because he thinks it will open up a lot of stuff he's already recovered from... I did try suggesting that already, and even insisted some when he said that.

I'm looking for ideas that may not be so conventional. He is a self-helper type of dude, so anything typical he's probably already seen. Are there any atypical solutions out there that you have seen work? Preferably ones that he doesn't need someone to help him with because I'm not sure he would let me help him, but I would try if he let me.

advertisement
Old 08-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
mote.of.soul
Elder

mote.of.soul has no updates.

8,186 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: An atypical way to reduce nightmares?

My gosh, sounds awful. Has he noticed if his nightmares are related to his body temperature while he's sleeping? Because, I tend to have sleep paralysis episodes if I allow myself to become too hot while asleep. So, I take a few precautions now.
mote.of.soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
ShadowGX
Poohbah

ShadowGX has no updates.

754 hugs
given

Next time it comes up naturally I will ask. He's sick now so I'm gonna be nice and try to fill his head with happy things and not so sad things.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:08 PM   #4
Mountaindewed
Grand Magnate

Mountaindewed I like eggs.

2 yr Member
45 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

This is a weird response, but could it be his bed itself? I had really bad night terrors until I got rid of my bed and got a new one. Iíve had no problems in 2 or 3 weeks.

I second the over heating thing. I bought cooling sheets and they are amazing. They are on sale at Kohlís right now for $45-$50. They are usually $100

Would the parents of a soggy boy with cotton candy in his nose please come to the medical tent!

Rupaul: You can call me he, you can call me she. You can call me Regis and Kathy Lee. I donít care, as long as you call me.
Mountaindewed is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-20-2018, 05:47 AM   #5
Carmina
Poohbah

Carmina has no updates.

116 hugs
given

This helps me a lot

Creating a safe space for sleeping (my sleep nest)
Carmina is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
Deejay14
Poohbah

Deejay14 has no updates.

2 yr Member
34 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Prazosin can help with nightmares.
I guess what really sticks out is that therapy is out because he is afraid of stirring up already resolved issues. If he is afraid of that are the issues really resolved?
True happiness comes not when we get rid of all our problems, but when we change our relationship to them, when we see our problems as a potential source of awakening, opportunities to practice patience and learn.~Richard Carlson
Deejay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:51 AM   #7
ShadowGX
Poohbah

ShadowGX has no updates.

754 hugs
given

Apologies for the late reply everyone, I forgot I made this thread until just now. x.x'

@Mountaindewed: It is possible, but I'm leaning towards "no" just because the nightmares started post trauma and are related to it.

@Carmina: That seems like a neat idea, though I'm not sure he'd be receptive. Sometimes his family visits and he doesn't discuss his problems with his family because they're very judgemental, so I think he would worry about them seeing something like that and questioning him. I wonder though if there's something else he could do that wouldn't raise questions, like make a nest of blankets to surround himself with. Definitely something I'll bring up.

@Deejay: That's my question as well honestly. I mean, if the issues are resolved, why worry about them coming back up? It's sort of a touchy subject for him, so I don't want to push. He seemed very adamant about it when we discussed it before. At the same time, if the nightmares continue he may destroy his mental and physical health and that worries me a lot. His physical health has already suffered a lot lately because of not sleeping and too much stress. I would like to eventually convince him to try therapy, but I don't want to overstep either. If nothing else helps and he can't get over the nightmares in some time then I will bring up therapy again.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #8
PurpleBlur
PurpleBlur stuffy noses suck

30 hugs
given

a weighted blanket!!!

they should help with nightmares.
PurpleBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:04 AM   #9
mwaxy
mwaxy ...how other's want me to?

64 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by mote.of.soul View Post
My gosh, sounds awful. Has he noticed if his nightmares are related to his body temperature while he's sleeping? Because, I tend to have sleep paralysis episodes if I allow myself to become too hot while asleep. So, I take a few precautions now.

Myself included. Heat is not good for sleep paralysis, lucid dreaming nor 'day terrors' (shift work sleep).
mwaxy is offline   Reply With Quote