Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Sexual and Gender Issues

Old 08-28-2017, 03:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member
bpforever1 has no updates.

My Mood:

541 hugs
given
Default I wonder if my sex drive is due to my bipolar illness

I like sex and have two lovers. I get laid about once a week. One of my lovers is married and is possessive. He believes I am his and only his. Whatever!! I just play along. The other lover is good in bed. I like being with him. The married man talks to me daily whereas the other one is too busy with work. Thus, it is a good combination. But, I sometimes wonder if I am horny because of being bipolar. I really don't like being horny. Really! However, masturbation is ok but being with another person is exciting and keeps me calm. What do you think? Do you feel that being bipolar contributes to your sex drive, meaning does the illness intensify your sex drive? I feel it does. I wish I was not so horny. I wish I were ho-hum sexless. But, my sexuality drives me to look good and be sexy. Weird stuff. I sometimes wonder if my illness is not under control. My psydoc thinks I am ok. I don't know. Am I ok?
bpforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 08-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #2

Apollite has no updates.

My Mood:

36 hugs
given
Default Re: I wonder if my sex drive is due to my bipolar illness

Bipolar disorder is well known for increasing risk-taking behaviour, particularly during a "manic" period, so that could explain your high sex drive. The fact that you crave excitement and yet want to feel calm makes me think that you need to pacify yourself for some reason. The sex seems like an escape for you, yet you'd rather be sexless. Do you not feel in control of your urges? Does it make you feel guilty? Maybe you could discuss that more with your T?

I'm not bipolar but suffer from depression and strangely enough, at my most depressed state, my sex drive is sky high (even though I've never been sexually active) almost to the point of feeling unbearable. I always thought that your sex drive diminished when you are depressed.
Apollite is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 08-31-2017, 05:36 AM   #3
Pflaumenkeks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
53 hugs
given

oooh yes.

I have different modes
baseline: no sexdrive at all
mixed: it's complicated. Mostly urge to but repulsed at the same time.
hypo and depressed: sex drive up

Both hypo and depressed sex drive seem to be a form of selfharm (sad but true) and an escape from boredom for me.
Also calming down from anxiety or restlessnes (I mean on a hormornal level this makes perfect sense).

I act more on it while hypo because of my overly confidence in my sexual abilities and desire to show it to the world (if this makes sense). I feel sexy and probably more turned on by the thought of how I look during sex then by the other person.

It feels like control over my body while at the same time I seem to lose control over it.
Pflaumenkeks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 09-04-2017, 02:05 AM   #4
delanceyst has no updates.

My Mood:

35 hugs
given

Hey! Sounds like me! Haha And I am pretty sure it is, but I personally feel that you should do what makes you happy as long as it will not hurt anyone or yourself at some point. It is how I keep my mania in check. I make a mental check list. I'm only able to do this on medication, but I think it is a good idea to try if you ever question your decisions are being based upon your bp
delanceyst is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 09-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
Magnate

Shazerac is attempting to contact the mother ship.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,186 hugs
given

Having once a week doesn't sound excessive to me. If you were standing on street corners or engaging in risky sex..that might be manic behavior.

Eat a live frog for breakfast every morning and nothing worse can happen to you that day!

"Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be left waiting for us in our graves - or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth. Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Bipolar type 2 rapid cycling DX 2013 -
Seroquel 100 > 75mg as of 9/1/17
Celexa 40mg > 30 mg as of 9/1/17 > 20mg 9/19/17
Xanax .5 mg prn
Modafanil 200mg > 100mg as of 9/1/17

Shazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 09-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #6
Grand Member

winter loneliness has no updates.

213 hugs
given

Mania goes up, sex drive goes up.

Bipolar 1
winter loneliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My Mood:

541 hugs
given

Funny thing but since I've been on generic Abilify my sex drive is going south. hahahahaha. This may be a good thing. Every moment I can though I sleep. I am so sleepy that I am tired most of the time. I drink coffee though which helps. I think may be brand Abilify may have boosted my sex drive. Now, I am not interested in sex but would like to work more if not sleeping. So, hmmm, I'm thinking of returning to brand Abilify but may be the side effect of sleepiness may wear off then I won't have to worry about sex then. What a dilemma!!
Old 09-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My Mood:

541 hugs
given

I'm back on brand Abilify and my sex drive is increasing again. hahahahaha

My thoughts are to just see the man who is my sex buddy. I see him once in awhile for sex. We have great sex and that is it. We are both busy with work. Well, at least, he is.

The man who I was seeing who is also bipolar is ok but I'm afraid I lost interest in him. The sex is not good because he can't keep an erection. He is nice but we have nothing in common except for our illnesses. I feel bad about him but will let him go so he can find other people.

I don't want to get too emotionally involved with anybody now because I want my freedom. I have no interest in marriage. Thus, my sex buddy is fine for now. We have not had sex in a month because I was not interested in sex and did not want to see him. Now, I'm feeling horny again and will make time for him. He is abroad though on a business trip. When he returns, I hope we meet again.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
Poohbah

Teddy Bear has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
823 hugs
given

I don't think once a week sex is alot
Old 10-18-2017, 04:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My Mood:

541 hugs
given

So, I saw my lover yesterday. It went well. I told him in a message that I love him. Well, I did not expect him to say anything and he has not. He probably is shocked. I love him in bed. hahahahaha So, I'm happy. I let go of the other man who has bipolar. He is married and is not smart. Neither was I. I don't want to get involved with married men. It is too much trouble. I am happy now.