Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Sexual and Gender Issues

Unread 08-13-2017, 05:13 AM   #1
Grand Magnate

Miss Laura has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
86 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Came out to my Sister

I literally told my Sister last night I'm gay. I couldn't tell her that I don't like sex at all. So I just said I was gay. She said they meaning the family have known it for years. I don't know how to deal with that. Feel like I should of kept it a secret quite embarrassed
Miss Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2017, 05:26 AM   #2
Poohbah

Hopingtrying has no updates.

3,212 hugs
given
Default Re: Came out to my Sister

Sometimes secrets make us sick. Truth is usually healthier for us in the long run. Perhaps what you are really bothered about is not telling her the truth. Last year, I found it helpful to talk to my therapist about some of my experiences with sex. After talking to her about what was bothering me, it has become easier to talk and write about all my experiences. Have you spoken to a therapist about not liking sex? I do not want it as much when I am depressed or taking to many antianxiety medications (For example, I wonder if the amount of depakote you take could be effecting you--when someone I know was on it, it seemed to slow them down but I am not an expert.) Sex sometimes can lift your spirits so I hope you can figure out why you don't enjoy it. Your profile says you are bipolar and ashamed of the diagnosis. Perhaps you are in the middle of a depressive episode? When I am depressed, I beat myself up and have a lot of shame. I hope you feel better soon!
Hopingtrying is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Grand Magnate

Miss Laura has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
86 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I haven't told anyone that I don't like sex I have always said I liked guys cause I genuinely do. I like both men and females however when it comes to sex I feel physically sick to the stomach. Thanks Hopingtrying the Depakote I have been on for 7 years now. So I don't know about that. I am in the middle of a depressive episode which probably isn't helping huh!
Miss Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 08-25-2017, 04:41 AM   #4
Account Suspended
Artchic528 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
186 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I know how liberating it feels to finally admit to oneself that they are normal no matter what their orienatiation. You don't have to come out to anyone. Just be yourself.
Artchic528 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #5
BrokeTech has no updates.

My Mood:

23 hugs
given

My ex came out to one of her sisters, and her sister was basically like, "Yeah, we have talked about that," meaning both of her sisters had already kind of figured it out and discussed it. I don't see that as something to be embarrassed about. It's better than a lot of the alternatives and seems fairly accepting.

I am not sure how much of this stuff we really need to tell anyone. The sexual orientation part is an issue just because...dating comes up so much, some people want coming out to be a sociopolitical issue/statement, and if you're a woman and you date a woman either other people will find out or you'll have to actively try to hide it. And even with all that being the case, I still question why I need to tell anyone I am a lesbian and why people make whether or not you're "out" a huge deal. But not liking sex? Does anyone really need to know that other than the people you date? Unless it's just a matter of wanting someone to talk to about it. I view it as a very private issue.
BrokeTech is offline   Reply With Quote