Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 06-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
ArchieAus
ArchieAus has no updates.

Default retirement-holy grail or poison chalis ?

Hi
I'll be hitting 55 in a two years and intend to move to a semi retired status ( between 1.5 years and 2 years time ) . I was just wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom on retirement ( not overly keen on that word , sounds like the finish of something when it should be the beginning of something ) , but anyway , back on topic . If you had any advice or thoughts on how you found work not being the major influence in your life . Were there any challenges to overcome mentally from not being chained to a job for 50 hours a week ?
My plan would be to move to employment that more suited a better work life balance from 55-60 ( would have to earn about 1/7th of current salary for those years to not touch my own funds ) then to either continue that after 60 or just do volunteer work . I just would appreciate hearing from people who have already done it to see if they would have done it different if they had their time again ?
Thanks
ArchieAus is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 06-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
Gus1234U
Seeker

Gus1234U AWAKEN~!

My Mood: retirement-holy grail or poison chalis ?

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: retirement-holy grail or poison chalis ?

so many people, esp. men, who have lived for their work, find life after retirement unbearable (so i hear). i think it's wise to taper off, work part time or at a less stressful job, something that you really love. volunteer work has served me well, for many reasons,,, i keep my skills up, and i love what i do, and i love that it is helping others.

i wish you the best in the coming years, good changes... and do keep in touch with us~

retirement-holy grail or poison chalis ?
Hugs from:
Old 06-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #3
Travelinglady
Legendary Wise Elder

Travelinglady 's sister is visiting. :)

5 yr Member
15.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I had to go on disability when I was in my 50's, so I guess I am retired. I am enjoying all the free time, so I see it as the holy grail. I wish I could teach some, though, since that was my occupation.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
Candy1955
Veteran Member

Candy1955 HOPE IS A VERB, NOT A NOUN.

493 hugs
given

My husband retired 3 times, after a quad bypass. I am 62, still work; he's 72, in excellent health, plays on the computer all day, waits on me to cook, never flushes anymore (), so I think he has found the holy grail...me.
Candy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-10-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
Skeezyks
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

2 yr Member
11k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: retirement-holy grail or poison chalis ?

Well... I'm "retired", so to speak. Actually I stopped working in my early 50's due to a combination of medical, mental health & situational concerns. (It would be a very long story. So I'll spare you the details.) I also play on the computer most of the day (mostly here on PC.) But I also clean, cook, bake bread, do laundry, & take the dog out for his walks... sometimes with my wife... sometimes alone. I used to do quite a bit of yard work & home improvement sorts of stuff. But we moved to a townhome a few years ago. So I don't have any of that to do anymore.

I kind-of wish I had done what it sounds like you plan to do. I wish I had found a job that paid less but was something I could enjoy doing & where there wasn't a lot of pressure (assuming there is anything like that.) But I didn't... again for a number of reasons. I think the main thing is to have a plan & a solid foundation for implementing that plan when you're ready to retire from your present job. From my perspective, it's amazing how quickly a person can sink into the mud, so to speak, if you retire first with the idea that you'll figure out what to do later.

Our local TV news stations frequently do human interest pieces on older people, frequently men, who have some hobby or skill they pursue. I always admire them. There was one piece about an older man who's been building a wood sailboat for 30 years, I think it was! He said he doesn't even care if he lives to finish it & sail it. It's the joy of getting up every day & working on it that's important to him. I think that's the way to live...
Old 06-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
IowaFarmGal
IFG

IowaFarmGal wonders if she can get back a life

5 yr Member
19.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I retired because I got fired and my senior training grant ran out. That's a pattern. crappy job, abusive environment, eventually break and get fired. This last time I was too old to start over. I don't think anyone would hire me anyway. I made it to 62 and retired but it reduced my monthly payment substantially. I still help out at the senior meal site, but just don't get paid anymore.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
ArchieAus
ArchieAus has no updates.

Thanks for your input and perspective . I appreciate your honesty ( always like Skee's input , he's a favourite of mine ) .
Thank you .
ArchieAus is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 06-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #8
butterscotch444
butterscotch444 has no updates.

I've had to quit working and next week, have an disability hearing to go to.Worked for 6-1/2 years at a place and was let go( being honest).Turned out to be a great thing! Hated it there!! ' Have to see what comes of this hearing!!
butterscotch444 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 06-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #9
key tones
espressivo

key tones - vivace

5,048 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Iím reading along. I have no real plans, but man I wish I did.

I have mixed feelings about my job, but I have no exit strategy. Usually, I love the excitement of a new job, and I would like something less stressful, but this lithium is killing me (no energy, no motivation, weight gain, crossed into diabetes again). Literally. I canít decide what to do about any of it.

I can draw my late husbandís social security as early as age 60, but itís something like only half his benefit and I wonít be able to get Medicare yet.

Sigh.

I do feel retirement/bankruptcy is where my mother spiraled downward. Iím afraid of that.

The crisis text and phone numbers are at the top of the Depression forum in the gentle reminder. Here is a link to various crisis hotline numbers:

https://psychcentral.com/lib/common-...phone-numbers/
key tones is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 06-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #10
Gus1234U
Seeker

Gus1234U AWAKEN~!

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

do let the disability people see and hear your worse side, Butterscotch~ they really need to know what happens when you hit bottom....

you too, key tones, i know personally how 'taxing' poverty can be... but you have to go to working half time or get disability unemploymennt benefits if you ever want to transition to SSDI... gads, they don't make it easy~
Hugs from: