Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Self-Help Ideas and Goal Setting

advertisement
Unread 05-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Emily Fox Seaton has no updates.

33 hugs
given
Default Do you believe that your mind can shape reality?

Went to the book store today and saw a lot of books about "the secret". I didn't pick it up because I don't like the format of it, but it got me thinking. A few weeks ago I read a study that suggested that "groupthink" is real because they have proved that when you get into a group peoples brainwaves synch up. Their conclusion is that being in that group that has strong beliefs can actually change your mind. Almost suggesting that there is an external power to your mind. I.e., your brainwaves can influence someone elses externally. A real life example of this that I think is staring everyone in the face is US voting maps. Red states all clump together and blue areas are all on the cost. There is a clear geographic component.

I also thought of a book I read a few years back on neuroplacticity. That author also had that theory. But her suggestion was that your mind... can make physical changes in your brain. His theory was that it wasn't from the inside. She had a study that showed OCD people got three ways of dealing with their problem. (1) Drugs; (2) cognitive behavior therapy and (3) nothing. Each was given pet scans. Only the cognitive behavior therapy people had physical changes to their brains. The actual brain looked different in them, as if it had been remodeled.

This is also suggested by buddhism and meditation. If you read those books they always suggest that your mind and brain are different things. And that your mind is able to have external effects on your body. From my point of view I think this could be what prayer is. People believe so firmly in prayer. After all, it works. But is it prayer to a higher deity or is it just a bunch of people sitting around all thinking the same thing that sends out brain waives or something to make it happen?

Think of times that good things have happened because the entire world was sitting around watching and "praying" -- apollo 13, miners trapped under ground, baby jessica? Similarly think about bad things that have happened because people might have all had bad thoughts -- the titanic? Claimed to be "unsinkable" and then sinks on its maiden voyage.

I also feel like there might be something to it because of animals. Not just pets but sometimes wild animals seem to know what I am thinking. I mean have you ever run into like a deer and you stopped because you wanted to look at it and be kind and it just kind of stood there for you. Like it got it. Like it knew what you were sending out and based because it felt safe.

Anyway, I wonder sometimes if this is what is actually happening to me. That I am able to send out vibes from a diseased brain that is holding me back and keeping me down. While if I changed my thoughts and forced a different perspective things would change.
Emily Fox Seaton is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Unread 06-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
treevoice has no updates.

22 hugs
given
Default Re: Do you believe that your mind can shape reality?

I highly recommend a google search of the Backster Effect. Clive Backster invented the lie detector test, and he used his machine to record physiological responses from other living things (plants) and his findings showed that other living organisms respond to the thoughts/intentions of their environment. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, check out "What the Bleep Do We Know" (documentary), watch some Ted Talks about quantum reality, or if you're really open minded and want to get in to some pretty out-there but interesting ideas, check out Spirit Science (YouTube series).
treevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #3

NeedHaldol has no updates.

You should check out the movie "Waking Life"

A lot of existentialism in that one.
NeedHaldol is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
Emily Fox Seaton has no updates.

33 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by treevoice View Post
I highly recommend a google search of the Backster Effect. Clive Backster invented the lie detector test, and he used his machine to record physiological responses from other living things (plants) and his findings showed that other living organisms respond to the thoughts/intentions of their environment. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, check out "What the Bleep Do We Know" (documentary), watch some Ted Talks about quantum reality, or if you're really open minded and want to get in to some pretty out-there but interesting ideas, check out Spirit Science (YouTube series).
Thanks I will check out all of those.
Emily Fox Seaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
treevoice has no updates.

22 hugs
given

Waking Life is a great suggestion, too, it's one of my favorite movies. But much more of a surreal/artistic rendering rather than a scientific one. Another experiment I thought about (I think it's mentioned in the Documentary I suggested) is Dr. Masaru Emoto's water experiments. He took samples of water from the same source and labeled them with different words/phrases (like "love", or "hate", etc) and then observed that the nature of the words being expressed upon the water had a profound impact on the formation of ice crystals within the water. Definitely worth checking out.
treevoice is offline   Reply With Quote