Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Self-Help Ideas and Goal Setting

advertisement
Unread 06-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Magnate

hvert has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
938 hugs
given
Default Goal Tracking: Declutter and Cleaning

I'm starting this thread because I know checking in on a regular basis helps me. If anyone else wants to check in, go for it

Two incidents last week gave me a kick in the pants to start getting better about keeping up with housekeeping. I visited a friend whose house is under construction yet 10x neater and nicer than my own. A few days later, a different friend of mine made some sort of joking reference to me being a hoarder. I'm not a hoarder - more like a pack rat - but I know that I am happier when I am not surrounded by as much stuff as I have at the moment. I had enough space for my stuff, but when my boyfriend moved in six years ago with all of his stuff -- well, there's not enough room.

Anyway. Today I decided to go through a pile of papers I had sitting on a table. There are about six gardening magazines my mother gave me, a newsletter from a nature group I belong to, an application to join a gardening group, a poem someone gave me, some papers from my gardening class, and notes for a trip I already took.

I tossed a few of the papers but put the rest of it in a pile. Then I stopped and asked myself what I was doing. The magazines went in the recycling bin. I read the newsletter and decided to save it because I may want to sign up for some of the events they are holding and there's some reference info. I'm also hanging onto the garden club application, although I am not sure I want to join. I put the gardening papers in with the binder I used to store the rest of the coursework from that class. I took a photo of the poem and tossed a few odds and ends.

What I am noticing about this is that I like to hang on to things for a later that never comes. The nature newsletter has some information about courses I might want to sign up for. I need to look at my calendar and either do it or not do it. This is a real pattern for me, finding things that look interesting and then dithering about them until it's too late to sign up. Fear of commitment?

Okay, back to tossing.
hvert is online now   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 06-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Pandita-in-training

Perna has no updates.

10 yr Member
533 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Goal Tracking: Declutter and Cleaning

One thing is the amount of notice newsletters (and bills), etc. give us; it's like "Oh, I don't have to do this right now, I can wait a few days. . ." but then other stuff covers it up and you don't see/deal with it. I have my kitchen trash right "there" next to the hallway from my front door and I get the mail then stop at the trash can, before it gets into my house proper. Even stuff I would "like" to do, like the Purple Heart reminders that they're coming to pick up old clothes, etc. I get them "regularly" now so I don't bring them to my work table unless I am going to do it this month, I schedule and do it in that case (the night before is when I gather the stuff together :-) Magazines I page through and, instead of saving the magazine as I use to, I tear out the page/information I want and put it in a special folder to follow up on or file it, etc. If something gets on my work table, it doesn't leave again until it is resolved and I hate having too much stuff on my work table :-)
Unread 06-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Magnate

hvert has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
938 hugs
given

I ended all of my magazine subscriptions last year because they were stressing me out. I subscribed to 3-4 cooking magazines (cheaper to do it that way than just to get the one I wanted). I would stack the magazines for a few months and then have a recipe-clipping (online clipping) marathon. It was a lot of work! And how many recipes have I tried of the 700 I clipped? Probably 20!

I do the same thing with the mail - stand outside and dump most of it in the recycling bin. I try to go through my 'to do' paperwork basket on a regular basis, but I seem to only manage once every 2 months.

I only went through the pile of papers because I thought that was where I had put a check I need to deposit --- but I had the wrong pile
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
music junkie has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
28 hugs
given

We have this problem. We have way too much stuff and not enough space. It's terrible.
music junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Magnate

hvert has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
938 hugs
given

Music junkie, do you find yourself hanging onto the stuff because you think you will wind up with a bigger place someday? I do that. We're also both hanging onto stuff in case we break up (it's been six and a half years now).
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
music junkie has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
28 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvert View Post
Music junkie, do you find yourself hanging onto the stuff because you think you will wind up with a bigger place someday? I do that. We're also both hanging onto stuff in case we break up (it's been six and a half years now).
Yes! I know we're going to be buying a house & so I keep telling myself, well, there'll be more room in the next house, so why should I get rid of everything? Then the new house will be empty!

For the longest time I was keeping stuff in case we broke up, because I didn't want to be left without anything. Now I don't really worry about that as much, but I still have a hard time letting go of things. It really bugs me.
music junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
formerly hankster

unaluna is over the moon!

My Mood:

5 yr Member
23.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Subcribing!!!
unaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
Magnate

hvert has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
938 hugs
given

Yeah, I have a hard time letting go of stuff too. I just spent a half hour packing up all my wool into three large space bags. I should have taken the time to go through it and get rid of the stuff I don't want anymore (soooooo much is moth eaten), but I didn't... and now I am not sure where to put these bags since they are too big to fit in the drawers I took the sweaters from. Maybe I should have gotten the smaller bags!

So much of my furniture came from my dead grandmother's house. It's hard to let that stuff go. I still feel guilty about taking two chairs to the dump last year. I didn't like them at all and no one else in my family wanted them, but....

Has anyone gotten rid of anything today? I think I'm going to put away all my mothball/sweater stuff and take a walk to see if I can find more willpower to focus on cleaning again.

Is it just me or is exercise equipment some of the hardest stuff to toss? I bought one of those steps at Goodwill 2 years ago. I used it 2-3 times. Why am I keeping this?????
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
Magnate

hvert has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
938 hugs
given

I've been slacking on the cleaning/declutter front. The house was passable for a few days, but now it's back to trashed. SIGH.

I bought a few things that I absolutely had to have right then this week and still have not used them. The mulch is sitting outside, waiting for me to spread it. The device that will let me make digital copies of my VCR tapes is sitting on the couch, all spread out like.

Okay, typing that paragraph made me feel ashamed enough to take ten minutes to pick up the room I'm sitting in. Now at least I've done something
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 06-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
formerly hankster

unaluna is over the moon!

My Mood:

5 yr Member
23.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I can see the top of my foyer table. I had mail 2 years old on it! Go me! I will start again once the power comes back on - it is getting warm up in here.
unaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: