Old 03-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
Buffy01
Grand Poohbah
Buffy01 has no updates.

My Mood: Help with hoarding

2,501 hugs
given
Default Help with hoarding

I am trouble getting rid of my things because it feels bad to get rid of things my parent bought me. I had my sister take a bag of clothes to donate them to the Goodwill before they close that down. I still feel guilty for getting rid of the clothes. I workout small area in my room. I declutted a small area each time. Once I have a box I keep it and I have trouble getting rid of the box. Especially when it has instruction on them. Any suggestion on how to stop feeling guilty for getting rid of my stuf?
Buffy01 is online now   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
hvert
Grand Magnate

hvert has no updates.

3 yr Member
1,339 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Help with hoarding

I'm not sure what happens when we hit a thousand posts on a thread, but this looks like a good place for the new one

I don't know how you can stop feeling guilty about getting rid of stuff. I find it hard too. I read something years ago that said that it is not our job to find the perfect new home for something we no longer need or want. It's enough to recognize that we no longer need it. The object served it's purpose and we do not have to worry about what happens to it in the future.

I also find myself holding onto donation bags/boxes for a long time, long enough so that when I go back to the bag/box, I want to keep half the stuff again. For me, throwing stuff directly into trash or recycling has helped a lot. My trash gets picked up weekly, so I try to go through the house looking for items to toss the night before.

Congrats on getting rid of the bag of clothes, that is a good start!
hvert is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
unaluna
Elder Harridan x-hankster

unaluna "President Coma Ti Chiamo" i.e., pres. watsisname

5 yr Member
37k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvert View Post
I'm not sure what happens when we hit a thousand posts on a thread, but this looks like a good place for the new one
PC doesnt want threads to go over 1000 posts, so i will ask a mod to "lock" the old thread and direct users to this one. I wanted to ask you because you were the thread originator.
unaluna is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Buffy01
Grand Poohbah
Buffy01 has no updates.

2,501 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvert View Post

I don't know how you can stop feeling guilty about getting rid of stuff. I find it hard too. I read something years ago that said that it is not our job to find the perfect new home for something we no longer need or want. It's enough to recognize that we no longer need it. The object served it's purpose and we do not have to worry about what happens to it in the future.

I also find myself holding onto donation bags/boxes for a long time, long enough so that when I go back to the bag/box, I want to keep half the stuff again. For me, throwing stuff directly into trash or recycling has helped a lot. My trash gets picked up weekly, so I try to go through the house looking for items to toss the night before.

Congrats on getting rid of the bag of clothes, that is a good start!
Thank you! I was very hard. I had to go to Barnes & noble bookstore so that I get rid of the clothes and that was having my sister take the bag out and my niece driving away all the while asking Barnes & noble bookstore for emotional support. My problem is I don't need them but because they were from my mom who wouldn't let me wear the clothes or play with the item. I feel attached to the item.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
Buffy01
Grand Poohbah
Buffy01 has no updates.

2,501 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaluna View Post
PC doesnt want threads to go over 1000 posts, so i will ask a mod to "lock" the old thread and direct users to this one. I wanted to ask you because you were the thread originator.
That okay. if you feel the need to. I just start this one as a way to ask for some help. I thought it either it might be inappropriate, or i might be rude if I posted on the other thread, or it might be confusing to other if I posted on the other the thread. That why I start this thread. It my first time admitting I am a hoarder but I am not as bad as one of my sister. This is something that I wanting to changed about me.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
unaluna
Elder Harridan x-hankster

unaluna "President Coma Ti Chiamo" i.e., pres. watsisname

5 yr Member
37k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Buffy, thanks for starting the new thread! I was just letting everybody know what was going on, is all.

I think a lot of us are Stage 1 hoarders, where we can still get in the door, sleep in our beds, cook, use the bathroom, and stuff isnt piled quite to the ceiling, but we arent having much company, for example. At least i think thats stage 1. Maybe its 2.

I got apartment maintenance men coming in next month, so that will mean spring clean up for me.
unaluna is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
Buffy01
Grand Poohbah
Buffy01 has no updates.

2,501 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaluna View Post
Buffy, thanks for starting the new thread! I was just letting everybody know what was going on, is all.

I think a lot of us are Stage 1 hoarders, where we can still get in the door, sleep in our beds, cook, use the bathroom, and stuff isnt piled quite to the ceiling, but we arent having much company, for example. At least i think thats stage 1. Maybe its 2.

I got apartment maintenance men coming in next month, so that will mean spring clean up for me.
Hoarding runs in my family. But one of my sister house is really bad up to the ceiling as bad as the TV show of hoarder I want to make sure that I don't get that bad. This summer I am supposed to clean out the storage building it going to be hard to get rid of my clothes. But I am going to try to get rid of clothes that are still good that are not special to me.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #8
88Butterfly88
Warrior

88Butterfly88 is fluttering by

3 yr Member
7,054 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

You said you donated the clothes, that's great. Maybe knowing your donation can help someone can make you feel less guilty.
88Butterfly88 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-28-2018, 07:04 PM   #9
hvert
Grand Magnate

hvert has no updates.

3 yr Member
1,339 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thanks for keeping us on track, unaluna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy01 View Post
Hoarding runs in my family. But one of my sister house is really bad up to the ceiling as bad as the TV show of hoarder I want to make sure that I don't get that bad. This summer I am supposed to clean out the storage building it going to be hard to get rid of my clothes. But I am going to try to get rid of clothes that are still good that are not special to me.
Hoarding runs in my family too. One of my parents had structural damage due to the weight of the stuff stored in a room. Both keep way too much. My siblings seem to have escaped it, sort of, but I am worried I am too much like my parents!

Clearing out the storage building will be good. It took me a long time to get rid of my clothes. I still hang onto too many for when I lose weight, lol.

I have been thinking about my food hoarding lately. I did some math and figured out that I have at least a two year supply of grains... if I eat grains every single day. Why did I do this??
hvert is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #10
Buffy01
Grand Poohbah
Buffy01 has no updates.

2,501 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Butterfly88 View Post
You said you donated the clothes, that's great. Maybe knowing your donation can help someone can make you feel less guilty.
It just so hard to get rid of things. It even harder now that they are get rid of places to donated clothes. It illegal to have yard sales. But i rather give away the clothes than to have them ruined. It just so hard.