advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #21
lors
lors has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Re: Panic Attack Strategies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webgoji View Post
A panic attack for my wife is often a very scary ordeal. Unlike most panic attacks, hers actually induce a psychogenic non-epileptic seizure (PNES).

Symptoms That Mimic Epilepsy LInked to Stress, Poor Coping Skills - 04/10/2012

So unlike a normal panic attack, she falls into an almost epileptic state (and will actually have memory loss with it). The only thing I've found that works is ... well ... me. If I can catch it quickly enough, I can "talk her down". I'll help her calm her breathing and relax her stress levels. It's really scary the first time and doctors aren't equipped to understand what's happening. It really looks like an epileptic seizure, but doesn't respond to seizure treatment. Once they realize it's a form of conversion, (not that they know what that means) they tend to move the patient to the psych ward of the hospital and say the patient is "faking it".
My cousin was like that too.

I hope your wife is ok.
lors is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 AM   #22
lors
lors has no updates.

3 yr Member

Switching to decaf has also had a huge impact.

Major no-no: going to a stressful situation all jacked up on caffeine.
Hugs from:
Old 05-11-2015, 12:48 AM   #23
lors
lors has no updates.

3 yr Member

I read having a mantra helps...well for me, this is working wonders at the moment:

"You're not expected to fix EVERYTHING, you just have to do the best with what life gives you."
Hugs from:
Old 05-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #24
eidothea1

eidothea1 has no updates.

My Mood: Panic Attack Strategies

3 yr Member
11 hugs
given

This is going to sound really weird, but I found out by accident that playing solitaire helped stop or lessen my panic attack. I focus hard on laying the cards out just right & on counting them out. Counting for some reason helps. I carry a pack of cards with me now.
eidothea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 05-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #25
lors
lors has no updates.

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidothea1 View Post
This is going to sound really weird, but I found out by accident that playing solitaire helped stop or lessen my panic attack. I focus hard on laying the cards out just right & on counting them out. Counting for some reason helps. I carry a pack of cards with me now.
Good tip! Lots of solitaire apps for the phone too.

With regards to counting, I noticed that simply counting out loud or mouthing the numbers under my breath helps a little too.

Or doing simple but fast math. I downloaded a math game that has simple addition and subtraction. This helps preoccupy me as well.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #26
January
Legendary

January has no updates.

10 yr Member
6,473 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

1. Counting backwards from 100 by 7's helps. You have to really concentrate.
2. Get a cloth or paper towel and wet it in cold water. Press it into your hand or put it on your wrist or neck and concentrate on the coolness.
3. Swirl ice cubes around in a glass and watch them go in circles. Don't lose sight of them.
4. Concentrate on remembering a happy time. Relive it moment by moment. Soon you'll be so wrapped up remembering, you won't think of the panic.

I hope these tips help you. They work for me.

My avatar and signature were created for my use only and may not be copied or used by anyone else.
January is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #27
x123
Veteran Member

x123 has no updates.

3 yr Member
161 hugs
given

I've been feeling stress for no obvious reason for the past couple of weeks. My muscles have felt jittery, shaky, and weak. Almost everything I eat has been causing intestinal problems.

Today I decided to try deep breathing. I made-up my own technique, but it seems to be "resistance breathing" ( 3 Deep Breathing Exercises to Reduce Anxiety | World of Psychology )

Surprisingly, the breathing took away that awful feeling of stress, dread, depression, and shakiness that has been almost non-stop for the last two weeks.

I've heard people talk about breathing exercises, but I was always skeptical. I'm convinced now. I plan to learn more about the proper techniques and practice every day if possible.
x123 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 06-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #28
raging vortex
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison
raging vortex has no updates.

My Mood: Panic Attack Strategies

5 yr Member
1,863 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x123 View Post
I've been feeling stress for no obvious reason for the past couple of weeks. My muscles have felt jittery, shaky, and weak. Almost everything I eat has been causing intestinal problems.

Today I decided to try deep breathing. I made-up my own technique, but it seems to be "resistance breathing" ( 3 Deep Breathing Exercises to Reduce Anxiety | World of Psychology )

Surprisingly, the breathing took away that awful feeling of stress, dread, depression, and shakiness that has been almost non-stop for the last two weeks.

I've heard people talk about breathing exercises, but I was always skeptical. I'm convinced now. I plan to learn more about the proper techniques and practice every day if possible.

so glad it worked for you.

yay

raging vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #29
SeasonsConsumed
SeasonsConsumed has no updates.

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by January View Post
1. Counting backwards from 100 by 7's helps. You have to really concentrate.
2. Get a cloth or paper towel and wet it in cold water. Press it into your hand or put it on your wrist or neck and concentrate on the coolness.
3. Swirl ice cubes around in a glass and watch them go in circles. Don't lose sight of them.
4. Concentrate on remembering a happy time. Relive it moment by moment. Soon you'll be so wrapped up remembering, you won't think of the panic.

I hope these tips help you. They work for me.

#4 was featured in i think Psychology today recently. I find it the most helpful
SeasonsConsumed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #30
lors
lors has no updates.

3 yr Member

Great tips there guys!

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk