Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > School and Study Issues

advertisement

Old 01-18-2018, 11:47 PM   #1
Manicdepressive has no updates.

Default Going back to school in your 30s

Anybody have any experience with this? Iím having trouble getting back into the swing of things and finding motivation.
Manicdepressive is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Talthybius has no updates.

2 yr Member
Default Re: Going back to school in your 30s

I went back at age 29. I am almost 34 now, and need to do 1.5 more years. Then PhD.

I feel I missed my first childhood. Almost no partying or hanging out with friends, doing fun stuff. I am a shallow sleeper and I like to sleep in the cold so I open my window always. Every second evening I sleep shallow so that I wake up at least once because students are cycling past my apartment after they returned from a party. They are so happy, or drunk, or it is a guy and a girl having a nice evening. I am usually alone, as I don't like strangers and I like to keep most people strangers and people don't go out of their way to become friends with me. So at those moments it hits me the most.

I had tons of motivation to study, as this was my final chance at life. I couldn't work a ordinary day job, ever. But student life going past me keeps annoying me. I am like basically only studying. So if this keeps up, in 6 years I will have done a PhD, just finishing up a postdoc of 2 years in some country I never would want to live in permanently. And then I will be returning to my own country, no permanent job, entering industry at age 43, all shallow friendships I did have watered down by two years of time. What then?

I do feel that on a daily basis, I forget how much older I am than my fellow students. And they don't always realize how old I am. I don't know how it feels for them, because if you are 21, 13 years is a lot. I feel they also kind of forget, most of the time.

But then again, there's more things strange about me than just my age.
Talthybius is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #3

Medusax has no updates.

My Mood:

131 hugs
given

@Talthybius---CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! A Ph.D!!!! I am 52 and I would like to go back to school and take some classes simply for myself.
Hugs from:
Old 01-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member
bpforever1 has no updates.

My Mood:

577 hugs
given

If you are going back to school to obtain a better job, I'd say go for it. However, if you are going back to school for other reasons, then hopefully you have the means to pay for it all. I went to college and professional graduate school for about 10 years and did not gain any on-the-job experience during these 10 years. Looking back, I'd rather have worked after undergrad and gained work experience. Going to school is not the same as working in the real world. I wasted much money and accumulated a lot of debt. I fortunately paid it all back but am not using my education currently in my job. I am teaching English as a second language. I did not need a professional graduate degree to do this. So, finding a job that you like may not come from your education but from working. I like languages and realized this after I started teaching. If you don't have a college degree yet, then I would encourage you to earn one. But, besides that, I don't recommend further education unless you want to specialize in an area that is in high demand for a job. I don't know your background. May be, you are from an affluent family and don't need to work. However, most people need to work and in my experience, education is not just about going to school but also about learning on the job.
bpforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #5
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,491 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I knew someone who went back to school at the age of 60.

so don't feel embarrassed.

((((((hugs)))))
shattered sanity is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-21-2018, 04:31 AM   #6
Wise Elder
Community Liaison
avlady has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
27.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am 57 this year in Feb and just recieved my Bachelors Degree!!! It was a lot of work but worth it. now i need to see if i can put it to work.
avlady is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 AM   #7
Magnate
nicoleflynn has no updates.

5 yr Member
42 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I went back to school at 60...age is irrelevant.
nicoleflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #8
Elsime has no updates.

I'm 32 and going back to school this year. It's been really hard because I have to juggle work and school, and because I got so used to being an adult in charge of my schedule and my life and I find it very difficult to sit exams and get grades and be judged on my performances.

I don't have a magic formula, I find focusing on the goal helps a lot, and having a good support network around me. I try to set aside time to study but it's really hard - housework, actual paying work, bills... It all takes so much time !
Elsime is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #9

palerefraction has an awful habit of leaving chat open, sorry!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
22 hugs
given

I'm not quite as old, but all my friends have already graduated and have moved on to those big fancy careers. It can be intimidating (for me at least!) but I try to take comfort in knowing that I'm better equipped in my mental health and that my life is better settled. This means that I will better be able to focus on school.

Motivation does concern me, but I am trying to balance my work load and classes so I take all my pre-requisites but no semester is too difficult (in theory at least). I also try to keep to a consistent schedule. Keep a calendar and write out any deadlines and exams in one places. This way you can determine what needs to be a priority without too much thought.

Check to see if your campus offers any resources! Maybe there are study groups for your courses? This keeps you engaged and is also a good way to break into some social circles.

Best of luck!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Aviza has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
18 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I obtained my bachelor degree when I was 37. Good luck, I did it to see if I still could use my brain after a break. I wish I would have been wiser and did better on my GPA.
Aviza is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: