Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > School and Study Issues

advertisement

Old 11-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
Poohbah

Vibrating Obsidian may be getting better

144 hugs
given
Default Difficulty Studying, Depression, and Life

I kinda went studying in a little rush, believing I'll make it since I love what I'm studying. But it turns out I also need mental strength I unfortunately don't have right now.

I went to a psych doc this week and he told me lifting my depression and going to psychotherapy treatment can lift me up. He also said this first year will probably go a little sloppy. Although he's telling me not to give up, I am NOT taking psych meds when I can leave university with a loss of just 1000$ from what I paid in the first place.
He also told me I have ADD/ADHD (although it is more likely ADD), but told me to take care of my mild depression first.

I told him I do not want to harm my physical health, to which he replied with understanding yet told me there's longevity, and quality of life. While a rational explanation, I am still not taking the meds.
I prefer to drop out, work and go to therapy to somehow sort myself out, than go through it with meds just because I'm already in university.

The current situation is, it's very hard for me to learn alone. My mind is mentally distracted with anger, need for love and... writing need for love kind of paused me.
Vibrating Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Wise Elder

Rose76 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,718 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Difficulty Studying, Depression, and Life

You also have the option of staying at school and not taking psych medication. There's no guarantee that medication will do you any good. If it were beneficial, it would be equally beneficial in or out of school.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
Poohbah

Vibrating Obsidian may be getting better

144 hugs
given

It doesn't matter where I'll be, I don't intend on taking them out of school, either.
Vibrating Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Wise Elder

Rose76 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,718 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

That sounds fine to me. I don't think there's any solution to any of your problems in a vial of pills from the pharmacy. The medical/pharmaceutical industry has chosen to label certain drugs as antidepressants. That way people think, "Oh, these pills get rid of depression the way antibiotics get rid of infection." It's not that way at all. Your unhappiness has to do with your life and your relationships with the people in your life and the challenges of soon having to make a living. No pills change any of that.

You have to decide between staying in school, or leaving to work full time, or just hanging around your parents' house all the time. I don't see where taking, or not taking, pills has anything to do with making that choice. A pdoc telling you that taking pills would enable you to stay in school is baloney. Whatever there is that you don't like about school now is going to be just as dislikeable to you after you start taking any kind of pills.

After 2 years at a university, I got fed up with it and decided to leave and go to work. I worked as a waitress and did a few other things. I shared apartments with other young women in similar jobs. After a few years of low paying, boring jobs, I went back to school. That enabled me to get jobs I could support myself half-ways decently on, where I could have my own place to live in. That, in turn, led to me not having to live with my parents, or depend on roommates, any longer. I found that independence relieved a lot of my mental distress. What I've just outlined is a pathway that a lot of people have traveled.

I think your main challenge, like just about with anyone your age, is to figure out how to emancipate yourself from being under the thumb of your folks. If leaving school and getting a job seems like it might do that, then that might be a direction to go in. It can be difficult, though, to support yourself without either a good trade or a college education. Of course, if your plan is to work and still live with your folks, then any job might do, if your folks aren't going to charge you for room and board. However, if they do that, then you accept the crap that goes with that. That's pretty much the deal in life.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

DowdyTheFifth Just some guy struggling with mental illness.

My Mood:

234 hugs
given

I just started college this Fall, and it triggered a depressive episode along with really bad anxiety. I decided to try and go on some medications because I knew that was the only way that I would survive this. My previous depressive episode I was able to go inpatient and somehow got it figured out that way, but I do not want to go through that this time, and I also want to graduate college on time, if not earlier. I understand you do not want to go on medication, but in the long run I know it will help me once the meds start to work. Best of luck to you.

Dx:
Psychotic Depression, GAD, Social Anxiety, OCD
Rx:
Remeron 30 mg
Seroquel ER 150 mg
DowdyTheFifth is offline   Reply With Quote