Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > School and Study Issues

advertisement
Unread 08-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
Poohbah
yagr has no updates.

957 hugs
given
Default Asked for tuition assistance today and ...wow.

Okay, this is actually kind of funny. Yes, yes, it is also sad but I'm going with funny. Long story short: I am fifty-two years old and became disabled about four and a half years ago when I came down with a rather nasty, rare, auto-immune disorder. I can no longer do the work for which I have training and/or experience and my doctor has flat out threatened to lock me up as a danger to myself if he catches me working. I have not been able to secure disability as of yet and after 3 years of not working, financial destitution sent me back to the work force about a year and a half ago. After two heart attacks in July and three in the last nine months, I had to give it up on Monday.

Retraining is, I believe, my best option. I asked a local priest who I'm acquainted with if he knew of any programs through the diocese that might help me return to school (long story short, I'm not eligible for grants or loans after falling into default when I became ill) to pick up a skill I can actually do relatively safely. He didn't but suggested I head to Catholic Charities and see what they had to offer. They were not able to help but I checked with the Union Gospel Mission and WorkSource as well determined to leave no stone unturned. Striking out at every turn, I then decided to go to a local Catholic University and throw myself at their feet and basically beg for mercy. Perhaps you've heard of it; the school is Gonzaga University.

I brought my transcripts with me. I was in the Honors program at the last college I attended as well as carrying a 4.0. Most of the credits are transferable as it was a solid, accredited state university. My SAT score was a perfect 1600 before the writing section was added, and being a published author, I'd probably do okay on that front as well. I brought these with me, not to brag, but to show potential and a good work and study ethic. I am aiming for a degree in social work. I went to the Mission Department after reading the University's mission statement that states:

Quote:
Gonzaga University is an exemplary learning community that educates students for lives of leadership and service for the common good. In keeping with its Catholic, Jesuit, and humanistic heritage and identity, Gonzaga models and expects excellence in academic and professional pursuits and intentionally develops the whole person -- intellectually, spiritually, culturally, physically, and emotionally.
Through engagement with knowledge, wisdom, and questions informed by classical and contemporary perspectives, Gonzaga cultivates in its students the capacities and dispositions for reflective and critical thought, lifelong learning, spiritual growth, ethical discernment, creativity, and innovation.
The Gonzaga experience fosters a mature commitment to dignity of the human person, social justice, diversity, intercultural competence, global engagement, solidarity with the poor and vulnerable, and care for the planet. Grateful to God, the Gonzaga community carries out this mission with responsible stewardship of our physical, financial, and human resources.

The Mission Department has been merged recently with the Ministry Department which worked out well because I was torn over which departments might be my best shot. Here's what I was told by the priest who met with me after explaining my predicament:

Quote:
You want help to go to school? I could give you a copy of the want ads and you could get a job.

Wow. Just wow. Anyway, no worries, I AM going back to school. I have another plan, but still....wow. Anyway, maybe he was just having a bad day - we're all entitled, but still - I'm torn between speechless and giggling at the absurdness of the whole exchange.

advertisement
Unread 08-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Crone

Nammu has no updates.

Location: Some where between my inner mind and the solar system.
5 yr Member
19.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Asked for tuition assistance today and ...wow.

Yeah, ask for crutches cause of a broken leg and get told to run a marathon! Absurd!

Nammu is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: