Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > School and Study Issues

advertisement
Unread 03-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Newly Joined
Raging4444 has no updates.

1 hugs
given
Confused I'm home schooled and I am not modivated to do much in a day

I do a type of homeschooling where I learn from reading.So really no teacher needed.But,during this time,I find it hard to focus on my studies.And I'm behind on my work and have no motivation to keep working.

Any advice?Please?
Raging4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 03-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
Wise Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

6,847 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: I'm home schooled and I am not modivated to do much in a day

Hello Raging: I see this is your first post here on PC. So... to PsychCentral… from the Skeezyks! May the time you spend here be of benefit.

I don't know as there is a lot I can suggest here. One thing I sometimes mention to members who are having these kinds of difficulties is a practice called "Snap Club". This is something that was developed by a member here on PC whose user name is "Vital". Here's a link to his thread with regard to the practice:

https://forums.psychcentral.com/depr...n-escaped.html

May it be of benefit...

PsychCentral is a great place to get information as well as support for mental health issues. The more you post, & reply to other members’ posts, the more a part of the community you will become. Plus there are social groups you can join & chat rooms where you’ll be able to connect with other PC members in real time (once your first 5 posts have been reviewed & approved.) Lots of great stuff! So please keep posting!
In cultivating compassion we draw from the wholeness of our experience—our suffering, our empathy, as well as our cruelty and terror. It has to be this way. Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It’s a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity. Pema Chödrön- The Places That Scare You
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
Grand Magnate

Breadfish has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,054 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I'm home schooled and I am not modivated to do much in a day

Can you make a schedule and stick to it? Add enough time for breaks, snacks, maybe exercise? Is there someone that can hold you accountable? Maybe a family member or a tutor? When I was sort of home-schooling myself (too unwell to attend school, but I tried to work on homework) I had a schedule and a retired teacher would come by once a week to see how I was doing.

-- J.R.R. Tolkien
Breadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
endless horizon has no updates.

My Mood:

Hey Raging! Homeschooling can be pretty difficult, especially since no to families do it alike. Personally, I was unschooled my whole life, so I didn't have to learn self motivational skills until I started college.

Here's what I learned on the fly that helped me suddenly deal with deadline to my learning.

So, it sounds like your parents let you pace your own learning? Or is it more like really soft deadlines?
endless horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
endless horizon has no updates.

My Mood:

Hi Raging! Homeschooling can be kinda hard to give advice on, since every family does it really differently. Personally, I was unschooled, so my parents never made me learn anything I didn't want to, so I didn't have to acquire the skills to do so until college.

So since I suddenly had to do a lot of reading/coursework that was really challenging, these are some things I did that I found made it easier to actually get the work done

- Don't think of EVERYTHING that needs to be done, break it into smaller pieces. I found just thinking about getting through the next 5 pages instead of thinking about the whole chapter made it feel less daunting

- Work the small chunks, and break it up with little rewards. For example, "I only need to do 5 work equations, and then I can take a break and watch a 4-6 minute video or song" or "I'll read sections 2.4-2.6 and then I can watch a TV show."

- Alternative pacing, 10 minutes reading, 5 minutes of break

Personally I find it extremely difficult to sit down and do a lot of reading, so I paced myself to 4-6 pages between breaks, and sometimes even just getting up and walking to another room for a moment and sitting back down can help break it up a bit.

If it's harder to even get started, I wish I could offer you more advice, but I really struggle with that myself. I'm a chronic procrastinator LOL. But I hope some of that is helpful, and I wish you the best of luck in your studies!
endless horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2017, 03:12 AM   #6
Legendary Wise Elder

(JD) has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member
1,643 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

IDK.... are your reading materials online? Can you have your computer read them to you while you eat ice cream or something?

Believe in Him or not --- GOD LOVES YOU!

Want to share your Christian faith? Click HERE
(JD) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #7
alicetailor has no updates.

2 yr Member

Setting a goal will help and motivate you to work hard.
Unread 04-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
Grand Magnate

Breadfish has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,054 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Also, is the level of the material right? Too easy and you get bored, too hard it's demotivating.

-- J.R.R. Tolkien
Breadfish is offline   Reply With Quote