Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
whispershadow
Grand Magnate
 
whispershadow's Avatar
whispershadow "there's only so much you can do to keep some things alive" Gnomeo and Juliet
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: The Milky Way
Posts: 3,216 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Who had problems in school?

2,884 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Who had problems in school?

My learning difficulty wasn't diagnosed at all in school so as a result I was stuck in what was considered the "stupid kids and troublemakers" class, which meant the teachers we had basically did our work for us just to make sure we stood the best chance at passing our exam and I was one of the few who actually wanted to learn in the class, but due to learning difficulty and due to the fact that most others in the class spent all lesson messing around I was never able to learn much and still struggle to this day with some subjects, for example maths

Anyone else struggle in school?
__________________
"After all we'd been through, I needed to believe there was still hope"
"All that was left was a memory and the pain of the poor creatures who had suffered. But there are always survivors" Jessie - Animal Farm 1999
"I didn't lose my mind it was
Mine to give away
Couldn't stay to watch me cry
You didn't have the time
So I softly slip away" No Regrets Robbie Williams
For you, Ebony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5gwNSq2OdU
whispershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 12-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being
 
DarknessIsMyFriend's Avatar
DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Inside my own head.
Posts: 3,006 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Who had problems in school?

3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Who had problems in school?

Yup. Finished high school with a 1.7 GPA even.


I had issues with my mental health and difficulties being bullied while the school refused to do anything about it. They put me in special ed classes that didn't help me learn enough and I was constantly being bullied and harassed because I was a white nerdy overweight kid in a primarily black and Hispanic school. I was constantly beat physically by wanna be gangsta kids because of my appearance and personality.



I finally gave up and ditched school any chance I took. I decided I would rather make money off being a professional gamer because gaming was the only thing I was good at. Figured I didn't need school when I could win several hundred grand off eSport tournaments.


Also didn't help that my mother didn't give a flying **** and wouldn't teach me skills I needed to survive in the real world because she would lie to the Doctors and have me doped on pills I didn't need to the point where I could barely function in school.


So yeah school was a living hell for me.
__________________
The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must. This is the way of the world. In the face of a more powerful opponent, I would have no recourse but to suffer. That is why I seek strength.

You either die the hero, or you live long enough to become the villain.
DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
PyschCentral_User25
Member
PyschCentral_User25 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 35
3 hugs
given
Default Re: Who had problems in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispershadow View Post
My learning difficulty wasn't diagnosed at all in school so as a result I was stuck in what was considered the "stupid kids and troublemakers" class, which meant the teachers we had basically did our work for us just to make sure we stood the best chance at passing our exam and I was one of the few who actually wanted to learn in the class, but due to learning difficulty and due to the fact that most others in the class spent all lesson messing around I was never able to learn much and still struggle to this day with some subjects, for example maths

Anyone else struggle in school?
Hey there,

Sometimes I've wondered if I have/had a learning disability myself too. I'm sorry to hear that you were stuck in what you can call "lower-level classes" which aren't bad, you know? They may just go at a relatively, much lower pace, or have lower standards, but again -- that's not such a bad thing either haha.

I mean, it sounds like you're worried and you do care about your education, and the fact that you might've not fully taken advantage of it or that you wish you should have -- and hey, that's really great. School is school, you know. It doesn't really prove how "smart" you are. I mean, sure grades and tests can measure your "knowledge" on something, but hey, not everyone is going to master "conjugating words" or master "box and whisker plots". I think it's great that you care, that's a start. Maybe this can push you to do something more you know? Maybe that's going back to school, maybe it's talking to your doctor and getting diagnosed or something.

I think you're smart enough to care, and that's great, it really is. But hey, don't be so hard on yourself!

: )
PyschCentral_User25 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
whispershadow
Grand Magnate
 
whispershadow's Avatar
whispershadow "there's only so much you can do to keep some things alive" Gnomeo and Juliet
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: The Milky Way
Posts: 3,216 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Who had problems in school?

2,884 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Who had problems in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyschCentral_User25 View Post
Hey there,

Sometimes I've wondered if I have/had a learning disability myself too. I'm sorry to hear that you were stuck in what you can call "lower-level classes" which aren't bad, you know? They may just go at a relatively, much lower pace, or have lower standards, but again -- that's not such a bad thing either haha.

I mean, it sounds like you're worried and you do care about your education, and the fact that you might've not fully taken advantage of it or that you wish you should have -- and hey, that's really great. School is school, you know. It doesn't really prove how "smart" you are. I mean, sure grades and tests can measure your "knowledge" on something, but hey, not everyone is going to master "conjugating words" or master "box and whisker plots". I think it's great that you care, that's a start. Maybe this can push you to do something more you know? Maybe that's going back to school, maybe it's talking to your doctor and getting diagnosed or something.

I think you're smart enough to care, and that's great, it really is. But hey, don't be so hard on yourself!

: )
I went to college and it was only while at college that I was diagnosed.
__________________
"After all we'd been through, I needed to believe there was still hope"
"All that was left was a memory and the pain of the poor creatures who had suffered. But there are always survivors" Jessie - Animal Farm 1999
"I didn't lose my mind it was
Mine to give away
Couldn't stay to watch me cry
You didn't have the time
So I softly slip away" No Regrets Robbie Williams
For you, Ebony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5gwNSq2OdU
whispershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being
 
DarknessIsMyFriend's Avatar
DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Inside my own head.
Posts: 3,006 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Who had problems in school?

3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Who had problems in school?

School isn't all that it's cracked up to be anyways.


Just go to the library or get a Lynda.com subscription. Why pay thousands of dollars for an education when you can learn the same things for a fraction of the price? If you absolutely must go to college, find a cheap community college and pay for it entirely by grants and scholarships.


P.S I am a bit salty because my reply never got enough attention lol
__________________
The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must. This is the way of the world. In the face of a more powerful opponent, I would have no recourse but to suffer. That is why I seek strength.

You either die the hero, or you live long enough to become the villain.
DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #6
whispershadow
Grand Magnate
 
whispershadow's Avatar
whispershadow "there's only so much you can do to keep some things alive" Gnomeo and Juliet
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: The Milky Way
Posts: 3,216 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Who had problems in school?

2,884 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Who had problems in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post
School isn't all that it's cracked up to be anyways.


Just go to the library or get a Lynda.com subscription. Why pay thousands of dollars for an education when you can learn the same things for a fraction of the price? If you absolutely must go to college, find a cheap community college and pay for it entirely by grants and scholarships.


P.S I am a bit salty because my reply never got enough attention lol
Sorry I saw it but I probably forgot to reply cause I have no brain

It's just frustrating and stressful, cause at school I wanted to learn and kept asking for help but the schools I went to were crap so they never bothered to help, they was just like "you're fine" and those of us in those classes they basically did our work for us and let the naughty kids mess around, those of us who wanted to learn were left to get on with whatever we wanted to do and the teachers basically did our work for us
__________________
"After all we'd been through, I needed to believe there was still hope"
"All that was left was a memory and the pain of the poor creatures who had suffered. But there are always survivors" Jessie - Animal Farm 1999
"I didn't lose my mind it was
Mine to give away
Couldn't stay to watch me cry
You didn't have the time
So I softly slip away" No Regrets Robbie Williams
For you, Ebony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5gwNSq2OdU
whispershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-15-2019, 12:51 AM   #7
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being
 
DarknessIsMyFriend's Avatar
DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Inside my own head.
Posts: 3,006 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Who had problems in school?

3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Who had problems in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispershadow View Post
Sorry I saw it but I probably forgot to reply cause I have no brain

It's just frustrating and stressful, cause at school I wanted to learn and kept asking for help but the schools I went to were crap so they never bothered to help, they was just like "you're fine" and those of us in those classes they basically did our work for us and let the naughty kids mess around, those of us who wanted to learn were left to get on with whatever we wanted to do and the teachers basically did our work for us

It cool I understand


Yea same here. I think I would have been better off being a drop out and telling my mother to go **** herself and running away from home instead of listening to her lies and dealing with bullies making my life a living hell. Would have probably learned more getting a GED without the drama and heartache and I would have been free of my mother. I was too much of a damn ***** to do anything though.


Oh well.
__________________
The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must. This is the way of the world. In the face of a more powerful opponent, I would have no recourse but to suffer. That is why I seek strength.

You either die the hero, or you live long enough to become the villain.
DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #8
Medusax
Veteran Member
 
Medusax's Avatar
Medusax has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 520
My Mood: Who had problems in school?

2 yr Member
249 hugs
given
Default Re: Who had problems in school?

"Also didn't help that my mother didn't give a flying ****"

Darkness???? You and I are getting to be more alike the more we talk. I was overweight as well and my mom was as well but she rode me about mine? She had been POPULAR in school, and just LOVED it. She couldn't/wouldn't understand what I was going through. I could have done better in school had I wanted to but I H-A-T-E-D it so much, that I didn't care. Do you still battle weight? I do...
__________________
I go about my own business, and keep my mind on myself and my life. I expect the same courtesy from the rest of the world.
Medusax is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being
 
DarknessIsMyFriend's Avatar
DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Inside my own head.
Posts: 3,006 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Who had problems in school?

3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Who had problems in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusax View Post
"Also didn't help that my mother didn't give a flying ****"

Darkness???? You and I are getting to be more alike the more we talk. I was overweight as well and my mom was as well but she rode me about mine? She had been POPULAR in school, and just LOVED it. She couldn't/wouldn't understand what I was going through. I could have done better in school had I wanted to but I H-A-T-E-D it so much, that I didn't care. Do you still battle weight? I do...

I'm not really overweight anymore. I mainly just have a gut and ugly stretch marks that I am insecure about that I want to get rid of.


The only reason why I dropped weight was because there was a period of 1-2 years where I couldn't afford a decent meal so I lived off ramen and sandwiches. Lost 80 pounds because I was constantly calorie starved. I used to be 240 but I dropped to 160. I am now somewhere between 170-180.
__________________
The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must. This is the way of the world. In the face of a more powerful opponent, I would have no recourse but to suffer. That is why I seek strength.

You either die the hero, or you live long enough to become the villain.
DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #10
Medusax
Veteran Member
 
Medusax's Avatar
Medusax has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 520
My Mood: Who had problems in school?

2 yr Member
249 hugs
given
Default Re: Who had problems in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post
I'm not really overweight anymore. I mainly just have a gut and ugly stretch marks that I am insecure about that I want to get rid of.


The only reason why I dropped weight was because there was a period of 1-2 years where I couldn't afford a decent meal so I lived off ramen and sandwiches. Lost 80 pounds because I was constantly calorie starved. I used to be 240 but I dropped to 160. I am now somewhere between 170-180.
I was a fitness nut for years. but I was on the heavy side in Jr. H and HS. THEN, in college I was full blown anorexic for about two years. Don't think of them as stretch marks! Think of them as racing stripes!!!
__________________
I go about my own business, and keep my mind on myself and my life. I expect the same courtesy from the rest of the world.
Medusax is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.




advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp


 
Helplines and Lifelines