HD7970GHZ Primum Non Nocere

My Mood: Returning to University with mental illness

5 yr Member
1,747 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Returning to University with mental illness

Hi everyone,

I am really struggling with University! I am over thirty years old and I am surrounded by youngsters who seem to so easily manage. I breaks my heart knowing that I am not an A student nor will I ever be.

I am having a really hard time with projects. It takes me FOREVER to write and bring ideas to fruition. I seem to spend so much time on the projects and nothing seems to get done. I am trying not to be so hard on myself but I am truly struggling.

On top of all this I have my PTSD and trauma stuff in the background, low self-esteem, social anxiety and so much more.

How am I supposed to do this? Is this a normal stage of growth in University? I have quite post-secondary in the past and I don't plan to quite now, but this is really hard!

Thanks,
HD7970ghz
"don't put all your eggs - in one basket"
"promote pleasure - prevent pain"
"with change - comes loss"
HD7970GHZ is online now   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-14-2018, 05:08 AM   #2
MickeyCheeky
Wise Elder

MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

2 yr Member
24.5k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Returning to University with mental illness

I understand your struggles. Don't give up: it may be harder for you compared to other students, but that doesn't mean that you can't make it It may just take more time. If you really can't make it, perhaps you can wait for a bit before returning to university. Is that an option?
MickeyCheeky is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 10-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #3
seal
seal has no updates.

As a current college student myself, I can attest to the fact that you are certainly not the only one struggling to manage. A lot of young kids nowadays feel the pressure to 'do it all' while making it look easy which is often not the case so try not to be deceived/be too hard on yourself. I also struggle with low self-esteem, which can be tough to manage when you're constantly being tested/graded/pushed, it helps for me to focus on the small victories and remind myself that the only way to improve is to fail a few times.

Your age provides you with a unique perspective and different experiences that the younger students do not have, an advantage that I am sure will show through positively in your work if you embrace and allow it. It was a big and very important step when I realized that comparing my accomplishments and goals with those of the students around me was only discouraging me, but rather embracing my background and how far I have come makes me feel a bigger sense of accomplishment and the sense that all of my hard work is indeed paying off.

Best of luck
seal is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
StripedTapir

StripedTapir 19, female, recovered from ednos, dealing withsocial anxiety and depression

202 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD7970GHZ View Post
I am having a really hard time with projects. It takes me FOREVER to write and bring ideas to fruition. I seem to spend so much time on the projects and nothing seems to get done. I am trying not to be so hard on myself but I am truly struggling.

On top of all this I have my PTSD and trauma stuff in the background, low self-esteem, social anxiety and so much more.

How am I supposed to do this? Is this a normal stage of growth in University? I have quite post-secondary in the past and I don't plan to quite now, but this is really hard!

HD7970ghz
everyone learns and grows at different rates! try not to feel so bad! There must be someone at your uni you can go to for advice about this and maybe you can get some extra support

its hard, but you're more likely to succeed if you think positive and believe in yourself

Best wishes!
StripedTapir is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 10-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
Travelinglady
Legendary Wise Elder

Travelinglady will be away from here this weekend. I'll miss you all.

8 yr Member
16.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Yes, is there a counselor at your school you can get advice from?
Old 10-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
HD7970GHZ
Poohbah

HD7970GHZ Primum Non Nocere

5 yr Member
1,747 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you all for the advice and support it means so much.

I am definitely going through growing pains and trying to hold on for dear life and not quit.

I am currently seeing a therapist at my school but there is previous trauma that I have experienced in therapy, so the whole thing is just ideal.

Tomorrow I have to present with a group of 4 and our group hasn't done the best job preparing it! I am really worried that I won't get a chance to talk about something I know about.

Thanks,
HD7970ghz
"don't put all your eggs - in one basket"
"promote pleasure - prevent pain"
"with change - comes loss"
HD7970GHZ is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
StripedTapir

StripedTapir 19, female, recovered from ednos, dealing withsocial anxiety and depression

202 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD7970GHZ View Post

I am currently seeing a therapist at my school but there is previous trauma that I have experienced in therapy, so the whole thing is just ideal.

Tomorrow I have to present with a group of 4 and our group hasn't done the best job preparing it! I am really worried that I won't get a chance to talk about something I know about.
It is hard being in therapy when you've had bad experiences in it before. Hope it goes well this time
Group work never goes smoothly, unfortunately! Hope the presentation went well
StripedTapir is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 10-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
MickeyCheeky
Wise Elder

MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

2 yr Member
24.5k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

((((HD7970GHZ))))
MickeyCheeky is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #9
CF17
CF17 has no updates.

121 hugs
given

[QUOTE=seal;6303325]As a current college student myself, I can attest to the fact that you are certainly not the only one struggling to manage. A lot of young kids nowadays feel the pressure to 'do it all' while making it look easy which is often not the case so try not to be deceived/be too hard on yourself. I also struggle with low self-esteem, which can be tough to manage when you're constantly being tested/graded/pushed, it helps for me to focus on the small victories and remind myself that the only way to improve is to fail a few times.

Your age provides you with a unique perspective and different experiences that the younger students do not have, an advantage that I am sure will show through positively in your work if you embrace and allow it. It was a big and very important step when I realized that comparing my accomplishments and goals with those of the students around me was only discouraging me, but rather embracing my background and how far I have come makes me feel a bigger sense of accomplishment and the sense that all of my hard work is indeed paying off.

Best of luck

I make your words my words!
I'm also back to college and I'm 33yo. It's literally my first year and English isn't my first language. I'm a female, I have to pay for full tuition on top of all of my bills, food, and rent. In addition, major depression and recently I found out that I've developed some extreme anxiety. ALL the ODDS are against me. But like I do, use your age and wisdom as a weapon, a tool! And yes, young people are in a completely different state of mind, but so was you when you were young.

My strategy is to NEVER compare myself with others; everyone has a unique life trajectory and personality. If anything, you do have more experience and strength than these kids, so focus on succeeding and achieving your goals instead of 'fitting' in. Also, it's good to be humble and look for help. There are tutoring programs for everything, besides some awesome therapy treatments that may help you to cope with your feelings and develop skills.

After a long time, it's natural to feel 'lost', but trust me, it will go away and will pay off. Perseverance! Resuming academic studies is one of the greatest accomplishments that a person with a mood disorder can earn, and I'm really happy to hear that I'm not alone.

Hang in there. Be strong.
CF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 10-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #10
whispershadow
Grand Magnate

whispershadow "there's only so much you can do to keep some things alive" Gnomeo and Juliet

2,884 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Many hugs to you, HD

I believe in you
Mine to give away
Couldn't stay to watch me cry
You didn't have the time
So I softly slip away" No Regrets Robbie Williams
For you, Ebony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5gwNSq2OdU