Elder

MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

My Mood: I'm stuck

2 yr Member
9,355 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default I'm stuck

I probably talk too much about this... I don't know what to do with my life. I don't think what I'm studying right now (Languages) is the career I want to pursue for the rest of my life... I'm already struggling with some of the exams, and I really have no motivation overall. But I don't feel like I have any other alternatives:
-I like arts and film, but it's a tough job market, so I don't think I could find a job even with a degree;
-I also can't draw, so that's a significant drawback;
-I don't know what alternatives to pursue, since nothing else seems to interest me much...
-My university doesn't seem to have any tools or professional help that could help me decide;
-In general, I'm no good at studying so university is going to be hard for me no matter what, probably;
-I don't like any subject that involves maths, science, ecc., and I'm certainly no good at them, but they're the one that provide the most jobs...
-The economic situation here in my country, Italy, is pretty bad.

I feel like I'm stuck and I'm afraid my destiny is to die, homeless and alone.
MickeyCheeky is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
Yzen
Poohbah

Yzen has no updates.

2 yr Member
1,460 hugs
given
Default Re: I'm stuck

I think it is difficult to know what you want to do with your life. I feel it is a process -- you start doing something (anything) and you learn and discover a purpose and direction along the way.

When I was at my university, I took a test that measured my interest in different careers. Based on my answers to the questions, it ranked professions that I would most likely enjoy to least likely. I found it helpful because it listed several professions I hadn't thought about and the one I was pursuing was actually in the middle of the list. After seeing the results and thinking about it for weeks, I decided to drop my current major and pursue a different degree that fit professions closer to the top of the list. I got that degree and glad I changed. It hasn't been a perfect career and I am always thinking about other related jobs and careers that I could get into in the future. I feel like it gave me a good start.

There may be similar interest tests online.
Yzen is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 10-11-2018, 03:18 AM   #3
MickeyCheeky
Elder

2 yr Member
9,355 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Yes, I've already tried some online texts, but most are pretty generic and won't give you any specific information about the career that may be more suitable for you... they haven't been very helpful, so far.
Hugs from:
Old 10-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
Yzen
Poohbah

Yzen has no updates.

2 yr Member
1,460 hugs
given

I found this one : Skills Assessment | CAREERwise Education
The results show a cluster of job areas that might suit your interests.

Does your university provide any help in predicting what jobs and opportunities might exist in Italy for graduates? Do they have any programs for intern work to let students get a taste of a job while they are still a student?
Yzen is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 10-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
MickeyCheeky
Elder

2 yr Member
9,355 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

No, my university doesn't provide much help, unfortunately...

Thank you for linking the test to me I've got human services and arts as the most suitable careers. Not surprising, but it's hard to get into these fields...
Hugs from:
Old 10-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
Sisabel
Veteran Member

Sisabel always trying...

272 hugs
given

I graduated from college more than 20 years ago. I can tell you one major important thing I have learned in the past 20 years... believe in yourself. It sounds cheesy and cliche.... but I am quite certain you are capable of more than you realize. Donít rule anything out that sounds interesting just because you donít think you can do it. I didnít think I could do public speaking and avoided certain majors because of it... that was a mistake because (with a lot of work) I overcame a lot of my social anxiety. I did major in a science and never in a million years believed I could make it but luckily I had friends at the time who talked me into it. I am smarter and stronger and more capable than I ever believed myself to be 20+ years ago. I suggest you set aside all worries and fears for a moment and let yourself reflect on what you would like to do... where you would like to see yourself in 20 years... and then give it some serious consideration. This is the advice I would give myself if I could go back in time to about 25 years ago. ❤️
Sisabel is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 10-12-2018, 04:32 AM   #7
MickeyCheeky
Elder

2 yr Member
9,355 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you, Sisabel, for the encouraging words.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
KnitChick
Veteran Member

KnitChick has no updates.

610 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyCheeky View Post
I probably talk too much about this... I don't know what to do with my life. I don't think what I'm studying right now (Languages) is the career I want to pursue for the rest of my life... I'm already struggling with some of the exams, and I really have no motivation overall. But I don't feel like I have any other alternatives:
-I like arts and film, but it's a tough job market, so I don't think I could find a job even with a degree;
-I also can't draw, so that's a significant drawback;
-I don't know what alternatives to pursue, since nothing else seems to interest me much...
-My university doesn't seem to have any tools or professional help that could help me decide;
-In general, I'm no good at studying so university is going to be hard for me no matter what, probably;
-I don't like any subject that involves maths, science, ecc., and I'm certainly no good at them, but they're the one that provide the most jobs...
-The economic situation here in my country, Italy, is pretty bad.

I feel like I'm stuck and I'm afraid my destiny is to die, homeless and alone.
Hi Mickey. So, this is something I myself have struggled with, and I am 35. I have heard that the issue you've presented, is actually a huge issue for many many artists. The economy is just not set up for us. I wonder if a good path for you, for now, would be to work some kind of trade and learn a skill. Something where you know you will make money (as long as you don't hate it). Unfortunately this is a sad truth for many artists. You also spoke of human services and I think you'd be wonderful with that as well if you can learn a way to deal with your shyness. But there are shy human service workers too. I once said to my therapist: "I probably couldn't be a counselor, because I dissociate," and she said "of course you can!!" Anyway, I hope you know that the problem you're experiencing, is not just you. It sounds like your country is a lot like the US in what you're struggling with, and here, it's the way the economic system was created. It does not serve all of us. I don't think you should give up art, or helping people, Mickey, if those are things you enjoy. We need things in our lives that we enjoy. You could work a job you are ok with (maybe not over the moon about, but ok with), and still make art and help people. You could make art and sell it as a side gig.

In terms of language, you said that it's not something you want to pursue for the rest of your life. What makes you think you have to do it forever? If you became an interpreter you'd be helping people a lot. I'm not saying you should do it. Just giving you an alternate perspective in case you hadn't thought of it before. If you do not want to do it, don't. Where do you see yourself happy? Perhaps, find something for now, that feels manageable. It won't be perfect, and everything comes with difficulties and unique challenges, even the things you like. Where do you want to go? What do you want to do? Can't remember if you're in therapy?
KnitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 10-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
MickeyCheeky
Elder

2 yr Member
9,355 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you for your reply, KnitChick Perhaps you're right when you say that I should do a job I feel ok with. I don't know which one Perhaps I could learn a trade... I'm not sure. I'm so confused Perhaps I'm just spoiled and entitled...
Hugs from:
Old 10-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
Perna
Pandita-in-training

Perna has no updates.

10 yr Member
556 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Your English is good; perhaps study Art History and work in a gallery that caters to tourists? Language skills would come in handy for teaching, translating, interpreting, etc. Find a subject you enjoy (like arts and film) and see what is needed that language skills could use; film dubbing is big in Italy :-) Film dubbing | Italy
Hugs from: