Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 01-31-2018, 02:15 AM   #11
LadyShadow
Account Suspended
LadyShadow Went to the other side and beyond, and there is no turning back from here

My Mood: Going back to school in your 30s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
5 yr Member
8,179 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Going back to school in your 30s

Honestly I went back to school when i was 32, and graduated. I thought it would such a challenge because of my bipolar madness and being on medication more than worrying about my age.

Like others have said, many people have gone back to school at any age, so don't let that stop you!

Good luck!
LadyShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 02-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #12
Fharraige
"I'm scarlet inside"

Fharraige "'Cause in my head there's a Greyhound station"

8 yr Member
9,574 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm 52 and went back to college last year. This time it's for my own satisfaction.

When I was in the military I was working on a computer science degree but having to move and change schools (with different requirements) was a major pain. I didn't finish that degree and kind of glad I didn't, but now I have few job skills and college is harder for me now.

BP Type 1, GAD, PTSD, BPD
Trileptal, Neurontin, and some other stuff

My Flickr Photostream
Fharraige is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #13
Pavlov's Cat

Pavlov's Cat has no updates.

4 hugs
given

I wanted to go back to school, but I am the sort of person who can't even do their taxes, so I don't think I would be able to justify doing a degree.

I procrastinate a lot, but I would like to be better educated. My record at school is terrible though, just barely passing. I'm 39 now.
Pavlov's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 02-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #14
artsygirl88

artsygirl88 has no updates.

3 yr Member
8 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Cat View Post
I wanted to go back to school, but I am the sort of person who can't even do their taxes, so I don't think I would be able to justify doing a degree.

I procrastinate a lot, but I would like to be better educated. My record at school is terrible though, just barely passing. I'm 39 now.
You can do it! Im 30 just enrolled in a bachelors degree. I also had a bad record with schools. I moved away from a stressful city, on better medication, try to keep daily routine and schedule, and I finally feel like NOW is my time. Also I want to note its 100% ONLINE. This makes it even easier for me to manage and eliminates classroom and testing anxiety. So I would really recommend online for people with challenges and a bit older than the college crowd.
artsygirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 02-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #15
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate
The_little_didgee has no updates.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I returned to school last fall at the age of 39. Most of my classmates are between 20 - 25, so I feel out of place. There are a few older classmates which has helped me feel a bit more comfortable. Usually I just keep to myself, attend classes and leave. It isn't a big issue, since I have friends outside of class.

Sometimes it is very hard to stay motivated. I have a lot against me, especially since I am the only female in the program. A few times I have wanted to quit, but I seem to always tough it out. My talent in the trade keeps me going.

My post secondary record is terrible as well. I'm embarrassed about my transcript and the three programs I have attempted about a decade ago. I ended up leaving all of them, because they were a very poor fit. Actually I've never had any success in anything except for the obscure trade I was working in.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #16
Talthybius
Veteran Member
Talthybius has no updates.

2 yr Member

For all those people who went back at a later age, I am curious what you experienced in terms of friendship or friendship attempts from fellow students.

It has me confused, for sure. For example, suddenly people I didn't expect to be friends go on holiday together. I wonder where these friendships start developing. And why those people, and not someone else.

And what is the attitude of those 20-someting year olds. Do they consider you as a potential friend? How? How not?
Talthybius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:10 AM   #17
Breadfish
Grand Magnate

Breadfish has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,064 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Cat View Post

If that's really the case, you can follow a course on doing taxes. I'm serious. A 4-year degree is a big step, but a 'basic' course - doing taxes, or programming 101, getting your First Aid certificate, philosophy, foreign language - in something you find interesting, can get you back into the swing of things. It's also 'lower threshold' and not 40 hours a week.
Or a single course of a full degree?

I am in 'adult education high school' although I think my oldest classmate is 23 or something. (I turn 21 next month) However, I do day classes. Most older people go to evening classes. There's some mothers/fathers or people with a day job that need more education in order to promote. Military people. Once or twice a father and son doing one or two subjects together.

As for befriending a 40-year-old in class: I'm not good at approaching strangers. And making friends is not my primary motivation at school. But that's with all my classmates.
That said, if you were to sit down next to me and we get along: sure. If you can see me as an equal, and not as a 'I have a child your age'.

You might also be surprised at the fun you can have with teachers. They might not be your friend, but in adult education, the boundaries are less strict. You can tease them and they tease right back. In the beginning of the school year, when I didn't know anyone yet, that was enough to make me feel comfortable, welcomed, not-alone. In some classes I often sit alone; still I don't feel left out, because the teachers are just that little bit looser. And because there is no bullying (it's not allowed either, after one warning you're kicked out. If it's severe you won't even get that warning) I don't mind sitting or walking alone. (If you're getting bullied, sitting alone is screaming you have no friends, which means they'll target you even more. In that case sitting next to an indifferent classmate is actually preferable.

I tend to gravitate towards adults anyway.. have all my life. Because no fellow 8-year-old had ever heard of liberal and conservative, and I wanted to discuss the newspaper. *shrug* So as long as I am not looked down on because of my age, I won't mind your age.

-- J.R.R. Tolkien
Breadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #18
crazylan
crazylan has no updates.

That's not bad at all! I've always admired some of my classmates that were veterans. The class becomes more meaningful with their input.
crazylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #19
nicoleflynn
Magnate
nicoleflynn has no updates.

5 yr Member
51 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I started school at 60....my fellow students treated me just like one of them....and because I feel 20, it was a fun experience.
nicoleflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #20
Candy1955
Veteran Member

Candy1955 HOPE IS A VERB, NOT A NOUN.

495 hugs
given

Same here. Went back at 40. Had a blast, made excellent grades, best years of my life.
Candy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote