Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > > >



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Sometimes psychotic
Legendary
 
Sometimes psychotic's Avatar
Sometimes psychotic Hugs to all!
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 18,950 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Recovery from psychosis...

5 yr Member
17.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Recovery from psychosis...

So here is the deal, I have psychosis supposedly from bipolar----I'm fully recovered except for the fact that I have to take half a pill of abilify every night. I tried a med free trial after 2 years psychosis free but within 9 months I became symptomatic again. Meds are now part of my recovery instead of something I need to get off of. I have a PhD, I've been constantly working since the psychosis---I took a week in the hospital and then a weeks vacation to get my head straight. Even though my psychosis is intermittent it took a few years of therapy to feel comfortable again....to have friends and a boyfriend that I love. I had an experimental (in the US) program called CBT for psychosis. I take a very low dose of abilify 7.5 mg. It can happen just know that while it will not happen for everyone it does happen.
Sometimes psychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 01-19-2017, 05:23 AM   #2
OliverB
Poohbah
 
OliverB's Avatar
OliverB is a pill
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Wonderland-Everyoneland
Posts: 1,404
My Mood: Recovery from psychosis...

3 yr Member
515 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Recovery from psychosis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimes psychotic View Post
So here is the deal, I have psychosis supposedly from bipolar----I'm fully recovered except for the fact that I have to take half a pill of abilify every night. I tried a med free trial after 2 years psychosis free but within 9 months I became symptomatic again. Meds are now part of my recovery instead of something I need to get off of. I have a PhD, I've been constantly working since the psychosis---I took a week in the hospital and then a weeks vacation to get my head straight. Even though my psychosis is intermittent it took a few years of therapy to feel comfortable again....to have friends and a boyfriend that I love. I had an experimental (in the US) program called CBT for psychosis. I take a very low dose of abilify 7.5 mg. It can happen just know that while it will not happen for everyone it does happen.
I am glad you have achived to be functioning, without psychosis and without too much medication side effects, somtimes they can be as devasting as the own disorder (I don't know if you actually get any because it's a low dose). The ideal is to be on the lowest AP dose as possible, and yeah, 7.5mg is really low, It's a good new you have achieved so much and it gives hope to other people

Was the CBT program specially heplful or wasn't it? I still see as important (in my case) to be med free in the future, but I understand that from your experience being on a low dose it's perfect instead of trying again to go off of it. I see CBT, art therapy and similar as a way to reduce (or even completely quit) medication, but it depends on each case

One of my objetives is achive what you have! A PhD, social life and work! I am working hard to get it
OliverB is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Sometimes psychotic
Legendary
 
Sometimes psychotic's Avatar
Sometimes psychotic Hugs to all!
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 18,950 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Recovery from psychosis...

5 yr Member
17.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Recovery from psychosis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverB View Post
I am glad you have achived to be functioning, without psychosis and without too much medication side effects, somtimes they can be as devasting as the own disorder (I don't know if you actually get any because it's a low dose). The ideal is to be on the lowest AP dose as possible, and yeah, 7.5mg is really low, It's a good new you have achieved so much and it gives hope to other people

Was the CBT program specially heplful or wasn't it? I still see as important (in my case) to be med free in the future, but I understand that from your experience being on a low dose it's perfect instead of trying again to go off of it. I see CBT, art therapy and similar as a way to reduce (or even completely quit) medication, but it depends on each case

One of my objetives is achive what you have! A PhD, social life and work! I am working hard to get it
For me I would say that meds took care of 90% of the psychosis and cbt the remaining 10%----I just don't think cbt on its on is good enough for me at least but it may be one of those things that's variable just like medication.....but cbt was super helpful in dealing with the way I was thinking about other people I owe the friends/boyfriend to that.... meds really wouldn't touch my social difficulties.
Sometimes psychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:03 AM   #4
OliverB
Poohbah
 
OliverB's Avatar
OliverB is a pill
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Wonderland-Everyoneland
Posts: 1,404
My Mood: Recovery from psychosis...

3 yr Member
515 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Recovery from psychosis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimes psychotic View Post
For me I would say that meds took care of 90% of the psychosis and cbt the remaining 10%----I just don't think cbt on its on is good enough for me at least but it may be one of those things that's variable just like medication.....but cbt was super helpful in dealing with the way I was thinking about other people I owe the friends/boyfriend to that.... meds really wouldn't touch my social difficulties.
Probably CBT is not able to take psychosis away, but I wonder if it is able to teach how to live with it. I have notices psychosis goes worse with stress. First there is a voice, and if you get stressed about it you get two I don't know if it is like this for all people, but I have found it true for myself, if I calmer and don't get stressed about the psychosis it doesn't get worse, while if I focuse on it get much more worse. Of course, sometimes it can be severe even if I am not stressed by it only because of external stress. I guess stressors are a big trigger and people with psychosis are specially sensitive to them, like an hypereactive brain.

I guess it's also possible to get severly psychotic without any stressor, but I find it more difficult to happen, at least for me, if I stay calm I only get maximum moderately psychotic (some dairly life things are stresfull for me, even if they are not "normal" stressors like an over demanding boss at work). I guess I am going to make a thread about this.

When you say "the way I was thinking about other people" was it a psychotic/paranoid way?
OliverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
Sometimes psychotic
Legendary
 
Sometimes psychotic's Avatar
Sometimes psychotic Hugs to all!
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 18,950 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Recovery from psychosis...

5 yr Member
17.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Recovery from psychosis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverB View Post
Probably CBT is not able to take psychosis away, but I wonder if it is able to teach how to live with it. I have notices psychosis goes worse with stress. First there is a voice, and if you get stressed about it you get two I don't know if it is like this for all people, but I have found it true for myself, if I calmer and don't get stressed about the psychosis it doesn't get worse, while if I focuse on it get much more worse. Of course, sometimes it can be severe even if I am not stressed by it only because of external stress. I guess stressors are a big trigger and people with psychosis are specially sensitive to them, like an hypereactive brain.

I guess it's also possible to get severly psychotic without any stressor, but I find it more difficult to happen, at least for me, if I stay calm I only get maximum moderately psychotic (some dairly life things are stresfull for me, even if they are not "normal" stressors like an over demanding boss at work). I guess I am going to make a thread about this.

When you say "the way I was thinking about other people" was it a psychotic/paranoid way?
Probably a bit paranoid like I thought people didn't like me and we're talking about me and occasionally I would overhear but I think those were more thoughts than hearing if that makes sense.....
Sometimes psychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
can't wake up
New Member
can't wake up has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 4
My Mood: Recovery from psychosis...

Default Re: Recovery from psychosis...

I'm so glad to see someone who was able to pursue academics with a bipolar-psychosis type illness because that's something that's really important to me but being sick makes that seem impossible some days.

also I admire that you've become okay with staying on medicine
can't wake up is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
mermanleon411
New Member
mermanleon411 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 4
My Mood: Recovery from psychosis...

2 hugs
given
Default Re: Recovery from psychosis...

I have recovered from a Psychotic Disorder and am now in college pursuing a bachelors degree in Chemistry. I still have depression however and self harm and will probably be on antipsychotics for the rest of my life.
mermanleon411 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
WeepingWillow23
Reality Observer
 
WeepingWillow23's Avatar
WeepingWillow23 has no updates.
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 3,709
My Mood: Recovery from psychosis...

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Recovery from psychosis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermanleon411 View Post
I have recovered from a Psychotic Disorder and am now in college pursuing a bachelors degree in Chemistry. I still have depression however and self harm and will probably be on antipsychotics for the rest of my life.
It's great that you are doing better and able to pursue a degree! All the best with it

*Willow*
WeepingWillow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.




advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp


 
Helplines and Lifelines